ATD 2022 Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Having built our top 4 earlier than anyone we're hurting for offense up front so to play on our second line with Kucherov we will select the best offensive player taken in a while Connor McDavid, C

b518e5e0-494d-11ec-bf7f-be4cf294f23e

His record is outstanding (current season not counted)

AST: 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 13
Hart: 1, 1, 3, 5, 5
Goals: 6, 6, 10
Assists: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 5

From @overpass sheet up to 2020
R-On - 1.18
R-Off - 0.78

7 Year VsX (up to 2021): 89.2

Of course you did.
That's one hell of a 1st powerplay you've got there. If I was looking a gift horse in the mouth, I'd like one more guy that did most of his damage on the inside in addition to Espo. But talent like that should work anyway.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Of course you did.
That's one hell of a 1st powerplay you've got there. If I was looking a gift horse in the mouth, I'd like one more guy that did most of his damage on the inside in addition to Espo. But talent like that should work anyway.

@rmartin65 has been pushing me the entire draft to take him, probably could've waited a bit but he's been the best player on the board offensively for a long time

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
It's going to be crazy to watch McDavid's rise in the ATD in like 2 years when he's on his second team and has won a couple more Art Ross trophies and maybe a cup

Reactions: RustyRazor

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
It's going to be crazy to watch McDavid's rise in the ATD in like 2 years when he's on his second team and has won a couple more Art Ross trophies and maybe a cup

I was right there ready to take him with my last pick and couldn't pull the trigger. I think I don't appreciate how good he actually is even though I know anecdotally that he's pretty great.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Once he has 7 prime years he will rise a lot (so like... two years?). Playoffs are a big fat negative on him right now though - especially when you control for the BS play-in series.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Once he has 7 prime years he will rise a lot (so like... two years?). Playoffs are a big fat negative on him right now though - especially when you control for the BS play-in series.

He's currently in his 7th season

So with only 6 seasons his 7 VsX total is already incredible and a shortened rookie year due to a massive injury

I've ragged on him especially last year to @Professor What about his playoff legacy, but last season changed my mind. He'll never be successful on the Oilers in the playoffs no matter what he does. It's just impossible

In 2017 he was pretty good despite the blatant lack of penalities being called on the Sharks and Ducks

2021 playoffs he was fine after a herculean regular season, but the rest of the team is just hot garbo (1 exception) and will never win anything because we have a 41 year old starting goalie who keeps getting hurt and our D is f***ing horrible.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I hadn't heard of this guy until last year and couldn't find a ton on him from previous draft material this year. Can anyone give me the lowdown on what kind of player he was?
Big dude with a hard shot who - like a lot of under big guys - covered a lot of ground despite not looking all that fast. The kind of guy you'd call a "power forward" in an era where that didn't mean outright destroying people. So more John Leclair than Cam Neely if that makes sense.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Having built our top 4 earlier than anyone we're hurting for offense up front so to play on our second line with Kucherov we will select the best offensive player taken in a while Connor McDavid, C

b518e5e0-494d-11ec-bf7f-be4cf294f23e

His record is outstanding (current season not counted)

AST: 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 13
Hart: 1, 1, 3, 5, 5
Goals: 6, 6, 10
Assists: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 5

From @overpass sheet up to 2020
R-On - 1.18
R-Off - 0.78

7 Year VsX (up to 2021): 89.2

If you do the current season, he’s 98.9.

Had i not been looking for a specific style of centre, I would have taken him instead of Ullman.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Well, this is an interesting turn of events. It was clear enough that, with respect to "established ATD draft positions", this one would go off the rails sooner or later due to league contraction, but I hadn't expected it to happen this early. Fine by me. I've always enjoyed the process more in the later parts of the draft when all bets are off.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Well, this is an interesting turn of events. It was clear enough that, with respect to "established ATD draft positions", this one would go off the rails sooner or later due to league contraction, but I hadn't expected it to happen this early. Fine by me. I've always enjoyed the process more in the later parts of the draft when all bets are off.
Active players adding to their resumes will always rise. Honestly the only one that had me scratching my head was Kane - he went way higher this year than ever before despite not really adding anything last year.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I was referring as much to Claude Provost as I was to McDavid.

I pretty regularly take super-elite defensive wingers before I take mediocre offensive players. Smaller draft means we get there sooner.

Of course, Provost's even strength offense actually stacks up rather nicely to some of the other guys take recently.

72ALFREDSSON, DANIEL55
----------------
82HOSSA, MARIAN54
----------------
95PROVOST, CLAUDE52
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
95SHANAHAN, BRENDAN52
----------------
110MARCHAND, BRAD51
----------------
161NEELY, CAM48
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I pretty regularly take super-elite defensive wingers before I take mediocre offensive players. Smaller draft means we get there sooner.

Of course, Provost's even strength offense actually stacks up rather nicely to some of the other guys take recently.

If I recall correctly, Provost's big offensive seasons came when he was placed on designated scoringlines, and he said, himself, that his defense suffered as a consequence.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

72ALFREDSSON, DANIEL55
----------------
82HOSSA, MARIAN54
----------------
95PROVOST, CLAUDE52
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
95SHANAHAN, BRENDAN52
----------------
110MARCHAND, BRAD51
----------------
161NEELY, CAM48
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Provost is the only one of those guys who almost exclusively played with a center much better than him, right?

I mean, it's still an offensive upside that most undrafted defensive RWs don't have, but I always see Provost's offense as very center dependent.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
If I recall correctly, Provost's big offensive seasons came when he was placed on designated scoringlines, and he said, himself, that his defense suffered as a consequence.

Much like Brad Marchand, Provost scored at a similar rate at even strength and his point totals jumped almost solely due to getting time on the PP. The two seasons that Provost moved up the lineup increased his PP scoring, and his ES scoring stayed the same. Those two seasons are his 3rd and 4th most productive at ES.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I mean, it's not like it's any skin off my back if someone makes an inappropriate pick. The ATD is a competitive game, not a top-whatever project, and if someone does something nobody else likes, they pay for it in the voting.
So Leaf Lander can downvote a Connor McDavid team because he's only played 100 more games as an adult than Newsy Lalonde and that's not enough, but most won't agree with that, but I'm going to get it even worse when I pick Alex Newhook to be my backup goalie.
In my first draft at Leafschat, Mark Messier went 3rd overall and Yzerman went 6th. It was dumb, but it felt good to get some kudos for knowing who Joe Malone was. That feeling isn't available in a draft like this that's filled with veterans, but the ATD is still better when unexpected things happen.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I mean, it's not like it's any skin off my back if someone makes an inappropriate pick. The ATD is a competitive game, not a top-whatever project,...
We are here at the History Board not the Fantasy board because we have tried always to reflect history. I have learned so much about the history of the game by researching my picks.

So Leaf Lander can downvote a Connor McDavid team because he's only played 100 more games as an adult than Newsy Lalonde
1. In the NHL? Lalonde played in a diiferent era, different leagues, different seasons.

2. Leaf Lander... i believe he was the guy, wasn't he, who drafted a certain undrafted Swede top 50 and every subsequent year that guy deservedly dropped and dropped and dropped back to where he belongs.

... the ATD is still better when unexpected things happen.
When we learn something certainly. Shock jocks need not apply.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
We are here at the History Board not the Fantasy board because we have tried always to reflect history. I have learned so much about the history of the game by researching my picks.
Pffffft, we get what we get out of it, but nothing we do here is going to meet any kind of standard of getting it "right", the format doesn't incentivize that.

1. In the NHL? Lalonde played in a diiferent era, different leagues, different seasons.
Nope, period. Lalonde played 99 games in the NHL, which Kirill Kaprizov will pass next week. On the whole, unless I miscounted, Lalonde has 358 games on record in the NHL, NHA and everywhere else (including, hilariously, something called the "X Games" where I assume they were skating off ramps and chugging Mountain Dew...I should probably do some actual history and find out what that is). Clearly context has to be applied there, just as it does to a lesser extend with McDavid and the COVID stuff. But the point is that 450 games is not too small a sample if you're trying to figure out if someone was a historically notable hockey player...there are just some guys who have more.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Pffffft, we get what we get out of it, but nothing we do here is going to meet any kind of standard of getting it "right", the format doesn't incentivize that.

Nope, period. Lalonde played 99 games in the NHL, which Kirill Kaprizov will pass next week. On the whole, unless I miscounted, Lalonde has 358 games on record in the NHL, NHA and everywhere else (including, hilariously, something called the "X Games" where I assume they were skating off ramps and chugging Mountain Dew...I should probably do some actual history and find out what that is). Clearly context has to be applied there, just as it does to a lesser extend with McDavid and the COVID stuff. But the point is that 450 games is not too small a sample if you're trying to figure out if someone was a historically notable hockey player...there are just some guys who have more.

Those 358 games were mostly 60 minute games though, so like the equivalent of 1000+ games of 20 minute play.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Those 358 games were mostly 60 minute games though, so like the equivalent of 1000+ games of 20 minute play.
Yeah that's fair. I kind of get a kick out of having a minimum experience rule that takes minutes into account. Of course no one would pay any attention to it at all, but then you'd have someone picking an edge case, and then some busybody would have to get out their scroll and monocle to make a jusgement on whether the pick was good.
Rasmus Ristolainen would be on the fast track to eligibility, owing to his years of being the only defenseman in Buffalo. Not the only good defenseman, he isn't good, haha.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I think is available outside the top 150. ..

The Admirals select the player who has scored the most assists ever not named Gretzky, the Selke award winner and 1st Selke runner-up the following season, the 2-time Lady Byng and one of the longest standing captains in NHL history, who led the playoffs in assists and arguably the greatest coach ever identified him first as one of the reasons they won the Stanley Cup...

Do I need to down my tea and post the name? Maybe so. I'll be right back (It's early Friday morning here, so i aint on all cylinders).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad