ATD 2022 Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Not a chance. I was there and my eyeballs disagree.

overrated in the sense he wasn’t the next great one maybe.

he was always the best player on the ice. Lidstrom et al had talents that were magnified by the team concept. Lindros never had that chance

Lindros is a force, even in this draft.... but you need somebody to fill in for the 1/4 season he'll be injured.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I didn't even realize Neely's 7 year VsX doesn't even make @Hockey Outsider's top 300 table lol
Which is somewhat unfair to Cam, whose goals/assists ratio was extremely tilted towards goalscoring. It hasn't always been this way (assists were awarded much less generously in the prewar era, for example), but in the modern NHL, goals are generally worth more. VsX doesn't take this into account, to the detriment of players like Neely.

edit: typo

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Which is somewhat unfair to Cam, and his goals/assists ratio was extremely tilted towards goalscoring. It hasn't always been this way (assists were awarded much less generously in the prewar era, for example), but in the modern NHL, goals are generally worth more. VsX doesn't take this into account, to the detriment of players like Neely.

He naturally makes the 7 year in goals VsX that he posted in the same thread.

In my first draft in 2014 I took Neely around pick 100, in more recent history he's settled closer to 200 and that's where he belongs.

But the market dynamics of this draft have pushed power forwards in general even higher.

If I wanted a power-forward I guess he's probably the best of any of them

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Lindros never played a complete season. In fact, he only played 70+ games four times. His best season was a shortened one.

You have to be on the ice to help. I don't give a damn about "team concept" or whatever if you spend 20+ games a year in the press box.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Lindros is a force, even in this draft.... but you need somebody to fill in for the 1/4 season he'll be injured.

Partly depends on team concept and role whether he gets injured no? He shouldn’t automatically be in danger of injury every single atd season because then you lose sight of the player. No one is going to have him run around like he did

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Partly depends on team concept and role whether he gets injured no? He shouldn’t automatically be in danger of injury every single atd season because then you lose site of the player.
True, though in the ATD everybody ends up facing a murderer's row of punishing bluelines, especially in a smaller draft. I'm not going to get into specific (and probably unfair) digs at Lindros vis-a-vis injuries, but his style of play led to him writing checks his body couldn't always cash. Lindros is hardly alone in this. It is true of many players, Peter Forsberg among them.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
True, though in the ATD everybody ends up facing a murderer's row of punishing bluelines, especially in a smaller draft. I'm not going to get into specific (and probably unfair) digs at Lindros vis-a-vis injuries, but his style of play led to him writing checks his body couldn't always cash. Lindros is hardly alone in this. It is true of many players, Peter Forsberg among them.

ok but what rules are we playing by? No headshots allowed today and you can’t touch him in front or hold or run interference which was probably the source of a lot of his anger.

your D better be able to skate!

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Lindros was an absolute unit. One of the great "what-if" players due to injuries but when he was healthy, was nearly unstoppable. Really strong player at ES too. I saw him live a few times and a lot growing up in PA (Pens fan).
My biggest issue is that a lot of his injuries were his fault. He played a style that led to him getting hurt a lot. It wasn't Sami Salo getting bit by a snake or some shit that led to him missing time.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I always think of ATD rules as basically an average of NHL rules over time. So like.. definitely more physical than 2006-present NHL but not as brutal as pre-WW2 hockey.

The only rules set in stone in the ATD as far as I am concerned are 6 men on the ice (including goalie) and # of players dressed - basically roster size stuff.

Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
My biggest issue is that a lot of his injuries were his fault. He played a style that led to him getting hurt a lot. It wasn't Sami Salo getting bit by a snake or some shit that led to him missing time.

this I agree with. He was sadistic lol. He once took a run at Rathje in the corner and I had my beer on the dasher… and he spilled it all over my lap which elicited huge laughter from the whole section. And the glass bent to my nose and almost broke

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Partly depends on team concept and role whether he gets injured no? He shouldn’t automatically be in danger of injury every single atd season because then you lose sight of the player. No one is going to have him run around like he did

Lindros got injured every year, and it was mostly due to his aggressive style of play. The only way he gets injured less here is if he stops being aggressive.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

I agree. I don't have a dog in the fight. Just stating what I saw with my own eyes when he was healthy. And while he did bring a lot of "miss 5 games here, miss 15 there" on himself, the Stevens hit basically ended his career at age 26, and that was just Stevens being Stevens. He never recovered from that brain injury.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I always think of ATD rules as basically an average of NHL rules over time. So like.. definitely more physical than 2006-present NHL but not as brutal as pre-WW2 hockey.

The only rules set in stone in the ATD as far as I am concerned are 6 men on the ice (including goalie) and # of players dressed - basically roster size stuff.

Each player plays under the rules of their own time. If they legally used hooking or holding or intimidation to be effective, they can still use that to be equally effective.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Each player plays under the rules of their own time. If they legally used hooking or holding or intimidation to be effective, they can still use that to be equally effective.
So like... Cleghorn is going to use his stick like a lightsaber, but we're going to adjust that when he hits Martin St. Louis as being a cross-check?

Reactions: tinyzombies

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
To be fair to Lindros, while he will miss games, he's a legit badass for the one's he'll play.... like arguably top-10 centre kind of badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad