ATD 2022 DRAFT THREAD I

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I swear if I see another defenseman compared to Lidstrom in these quotes...

Not knocking the pick - fine pick, one of the best D available and all that, but I feel like every defender that doesn't check people into paste is getting the Lidstrom comparison by some talking head.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
We'll finish off our top unit with Syd Howe, LW/C, another player whose style of play brings a lot of different elements to the table.

Syd_Howe.jpg

The Globe And Mail 14 Nov 1941

Stan Fischler's "Hockey Chronicle"

If @ImporterExporter didn't try to gouge me on the trade he was who I was taking... Good pick.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
You guys got so lucky that he fell this far. Just what your top line needed

@rmartin65 and I are do for some luck after you took Sid Abel like 20 picks earlier than he has gone in recent memory lol

We've had some bad luck, everytime we agree on a name that based on old draft trends should be available he goes in the next 2/3 picks

Edit: Hard for me to not think that Howe honestly saved our draft give how aggressive the market for guys with intangibles has been

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
He's just a real solid all around winger. Doesn't blow you away in any one department but nothing to really nitpick. Plus he's super versatile.

Y'all are going to be blown away by our master plan to play Howe and Hooley as our 3rd D pairing

Edit: Gerard and Howe will switch back and forth at their lesiure

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
IE, Maltsev is the guy I thought of when you drafted Martinec. I'm not at all sure that Martinec was better, nevermind by a wide margin. Don't really feel like debating it at the moment (though we can if you like), but suffice it so say, I think they're quite comparable.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
IE, Maltsev is the guy I thought of when you drafted Martinec. I'm not at all sure that Martinec was better, nevermind by a wide margin. Don't really feel like debating it at the moment (though we can if you like), but suffice it so say, I think they're quite comparable.

Martinec was better defensively, so he fits into more schemes... he also has more of a big game rep

But yes, when Maltsev dropped this far, I was certainly hoping to snag him

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

Maltsev isn't a pure RW, some of his value is tied to C, no? Not much different than Sid Abel and swinging him to LW with 2/3 of his career coming at C.

I agree, on an all time scale it's probably splitting hairs, though Martinec is pretty clearly a better 200 foot player, which breaks the pendulum in his favor. Also don't like the fact that Maltsev was noted to not exactly enjoy playing in rougher conditions.

My point on Martinec, was that for a pure RW, where you can accumulate all his value, he was easily the best one on the board. Just my .02 of course.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Maltsev isn't a pure RW, some of his value is tied to C, no? Not much different than Sid Abel and swinging him to LW with 2/3 of his career coming at C.

I agree, on an all time scale it's probably splitting hairs, though Martinec is pretty clearly a better 200 foot player, which breaks the pendulum in his favor. Also don't like the fact that Maltsev was noted to not exactly enjoy playing in rougher conditions.

My point on Martinec, was that for a pure RW, where you can accumulate all his value, he was easily the best one on the board. Just my .02 of course.

Abel spent a larger percentage of his career at LW than Maltsev did at RW.

That said, when you're switching a guy between two forward positions and he proved he could do both to similar levels,* I don't see why you'd necessarily dock him.

*I guess Maltsev is more of a goal scorer on the wing and playmaker at C, though I'm not sure that carries into the ATD.

I mean, certain skills definitely need to be used at C, but Maltsev wasn't exactly known for dominating faceoffs or defending the center of the ice.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I'm going to take a guy who has really proven that - hold on, I think I have a stomach bug or something, I just need to sit down. just a moment.

(loud retching noises)

OK, as I was saying before I was taken with a completely unrelated illness, I'm going to give another huge bump to a player who's been the ...uh hum... most well-rounded and top-2 left wing in the game for a 5 year stretch, while in competition with a near-generational talent for a peer and he - just hold on a second...

OK, I think that was the last of it. Anyway, that's a peak to rival any of the last few LWs, his 7-year VsX is up in the mid 80s, plus he's got a great defensive reputation and a smattering of Selke support in a time where wingers don't really get any, and he's playing next to another generational talent in the area of accumulating Selke support. Add that to a certain...agitating X-factor, and the pedigree of a consistent winner and a beacon of constant self-improvement, and I don't see why I shouldn't use this pick on...

(vomits everywhere, in front of everyone)

Sorry, that was embarrassing. Hey, at least I didn't lick anyone's face, right? That's a funny joke, isn't it?

Brad Marchand, get your Kentucky Thoroughblades jersey and get out of my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad