ATD 2022 DRAFT THREAD I

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Shore, Orr, Hull and Lemieux seem to have pretty comparable playoff records here. Every other player was part of a dynasty.
I will return to this post twice again.
Now, late Sunday night in South Korea, i'll claim Shore has NO WAY comparable to Lemieux playoff resume.

And that isn't the most egress example.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Eddie Shore was in two cup-winning playoff teams: 1 goal, 5 assists in those 17 games. But he sat in the penalty box more than anyone.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd in playoff points among defensemen is where I would start.

Given the 3 players (Hull, Lemieux, Orr) were all ranked pretty highly in the HOH playoff project I'd push back pretty strongly.

The aggregate list is lost to migration but

Lemieux - 10
Orr - 13
Hull - 31
Shore - NR

I think Hull is someone you can pick on for his PO resume but Orr and Lemieux I think are definitely in a different class than Shore

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Given the 3 players (Hull, Lemieux, Orr) were all ranked pretty highly in the HOH playoff project I'd push back pretty strongly.

The aggregate list is lost to migration but

Lemieux - 10
Orr - 13
Hull - 31
Shore - NR

I think Hull is someone you can pick on for his PO resume but Orr and Lemieux I think are definitely in a different class than Shore

What we’re the criteria for that list? Guys who raised their games most in the playoffs? Did they separate team success from player success?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'll only ride for my own guy but Orr led the playoffs in scoring once, assists twice, and won the Conn Smythe both times

Shore is not comparable

The game was different. Defensemen scored a lot less compared to forwards in Shore’s time. He led all defensemen in scoring both times he won the cup.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
What we’re the criteria for that list? Guys who raised their games most in the playoffs? Did they separate team success from player success?

• Players will be judged only on their performance during Stanley Cup playoff games, Stanley Cup challenge games, and playoff games with the Pacific Coast Hockey Association, National Hockey Association, National Hockey League, and Western/Western Canada Hockey League that had a direct path to a champion vs. champion Stanley Cup series

Top-40 Stanley Cup Playoff Performers of All-Time - Preliminary Discussion Thread

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The game was different. Defensemen scored a lot less compared to forwards in Shore’s time. He led all defensemen in scoring both times he won the cup.

1928-29 - 2 points in 5 games - 0.4 pts/game
1938-39 - 4 points in 12 games - 0.25 pts/game

In the regular season those years 0.49 pts/game & 0.4 pts/game

I wouldn't tout 2 points in 5 games as some grand accomplishment

Reactions: The Macho King

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The Top 40 Playoff Project―or any project for that matter―should never be used as an argument in the ATD.

If I did it in the past, then I was wrong.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The Top 40 Playoff Project―or any project for that matter―should never be used as an argument in the ATD.

If I did it in the past, then I was wrong.

When someone is trying to argue that a noted disappointing playoff performer is comparable to Lemieux and Orr it absolutely can lol

Reactions: The Macho King

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
1928-29 - 2 points in 5 games - 0.4 pts/game
1938-39 - 4 points in 12 games - 0.25 pts/game

In the regular season those years 0.49 pts/game & 0.4 pts/game

Orr’a scoring went down in the playoffs for both his Smythe wins too…

I wouldn't tout 2 points in 5 games as some grand accomplishment

He had the games he had, and he used them to lead defensemen in scoring. That also happened to be good enough for the team lead.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Personally I suspect Shore was a solid playoff performer, who tended to take bad penalties that may or may not have cost his teams (I think it was overpass who did a study on the impact of his penalties, but I don't remember the results). But how many points he scored is not a good way to judge his performances given his era and position. I'd rather see game reports.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Orr’a scoring went down in the playoffs for both his Smythe wins too…

He had the games he had, and he used them to lead defensemen in scoring. That also happened to be good enough for the team lead.

Sure it went from 1.58 pts/game to only 1.43 in 1970 & 1.54 pts/game to only 1.6

So in 1972 it actually went up lol

And as I pointed out it's not particularly impressive in 1929 and then in 1939 he was tied with a teammate who also played D

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
When someone is trying to argue that a noted disappointing playoff performer is comparable to Lemieux and Orr it absolutely can lol

No it cannot. It's not an argument.

Especially that specific Project was a total mess throughout. And I share some of that responsibility. I wouldn't trust my own list from that Project. It was too ambitious for the time and effort most had to spend.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
No it cannot. It's not an argument.

Especially that specific Project was a total mess throughout. And I share some of that responsibility.

Given the exercise of comparing playoff, performances was already completed, it's absolutely the responsibility of the person trying to argue against that their player deserves more recognition for their performance. He hasn't posted anything remotely convincing the Eddie Shore's playoff legacy is remotely comparable to the performances Orr and Lemieux had during their careers.

So fine if you want to ignore that that project already vetted that Orr and Lemieux were among the strongest performers of all time that's totally fine.

Edit: I will leave Hull out of it, because he definitely can be picked on

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Personally I suspect Shore was a solid playoff performer, who tended to take bad penalties that may or may not have cost his teams (I think it was overpass who did a study on the impact of his penalties, but I don't remember the results). But how many points he scored is not a good way to judge his performances given his era and position. I'd rather see game reports.

Sure I don't disagree that he was solid. He's one of the 15 best players of all time. If he was poor he wouldn't be ranked so highly

But trying to sell that his playoff resume is comparable to Orr and Lemieux isn't going to fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad