ATD 2022 DRAFT THREAD I

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This was a tough spot, so many players to choose from.
Yeah I wanted to trade either up to 6 or down to like 14.

I don't think theres a wrong pick in this range though. I was either going C or D and that was basically the decision here.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Yeah I wanted to trade either up to 6 or down to like 14.

I don't think theres a wrong pick in this range though. I was either going C or D and that was basically the decision here.

This was a tough spot, so many players to choose from.

The decision isn't just about the player you pick now, but who you can build around the best. I was torned between a few at 8th too.

I know that feeling. That's where I was last year. IIRC, I was 8th, so it was exactly where you guys are.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
When your conference picks these 4 before you, I think a stud on the back end is paramount.

Howe
Lemieux
Beliveau
Hull

So the TRHC will counter with a Dman who brings almost exceptional everything to the table (skating was good but not great), including, most importantly size/physicality which will be needed vs those names above, and elite playoff performances to his name.

Checks off 1st team PP/PK ability, and was top shelf captain/leader who wore the C on all 4 of the Islanders title runs, and they never once failed to qualify for the postseason with him leading NY.

Mr. 4 in a row, Denis Potvin, D

Potvin%2Bhipchecks%2BLafleur.jpg

denis-potvin-b-bennett.jpg

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
When your conference picks these 4 before you, I think a stud on the back end is paramount.

Howe
Lemieux
Beliveau
Hull

So the TRHC will counter with a Dman who brings almost exceptional everything to the table (skating was good but not great), including, most importantly size/physicality which will be needed vs those names above, and elite playoff performances to his name.

Checks off 1st team PP/PK ability, and was top shelf captain/leader who wore the C on all 4 of the Islanders title runs, and they never once failed to qualify for the postseason with him leading NY.

Mr. 4 in a row, Denis Potvin, D

Potvin%2Bhipchecks%2BLafleur.jpg

denis-potvin-b-bennett.jpg

Potvin was the best choice to handle those forwards. Perfect all-arounder.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Good to be back drafting with you guys. I was going to step away this year but I decided to come back when I thought you guys needed a 16th, still we got to 18 so that's good. Good luck to everyone.

With the 11th pick of the 2022 ATD the Pittsburgh Pirates go for Right Winger Maurice Richard.

OIP.DnaXvOPBOAZgk4GstkqfTwHaO3

Next has been pmed.

Richard is a great pick, a legend!

He's been getting treated unfairly in the ATD and HoH sections in the last 2-3 years, with his stock dropping to absurd levels. No more! Richard deserves his glorious reputation. He was the spark, the beginning of the Montreal Canadiens golden age. Never in the NHL has anyone played under more pressure.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
That's a strong pick tony! 2nd best F in the conference and you got him outside the top 10. I don't think he's near as tough to build around as some suggest either. And you can count on a few fingers the guys who are going to rate higher as postseason players.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Good to be back drafting with you guys. I was going to step away this year but I decided to come back when I thought you guys needed a 16th, still we got to 18 so that's good. Good luck to everyone.

With the 11th pick of the 2022 ATD the Pittsburgh Pirates go for Right Winger Maurice Richard.

OIP.DnaXvOPBOAZgk4GstkqfTwHaO3

Next has been pmed.

My first pick of my first draft last year. I'm still proud of that first line I buit.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If we’re going era adjust everything, we should do it for play styles too, right?
This ain't gonna change:
By every account, Shore was a hothead who returned every slight with compound interest and who rarely passed up an opportunity to get into a fight. Also, by every account, Shore was not above a little theatrics.
Nor this:
Shore was soon known to zigzag down the ice on a raid and wind himself around defenders like a piece of tape. He could also fly down the ice as straight and as fleet of foot as an arrow shot from a powerful longbow.
Give him a steady eddie to pick up the slack.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If we’re going era adjust everything, we should do it for play styles too, right?

Not sure what that means, but regardless, since Shore is known to have been paired with a specific partner in a famous pairing, it's always a winning formula to pair him with someone similar. Obligatory? No. But it's a guaranteed winning formula.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Best defenseman taken since Bourque, but more difficult to handle than Lidstrom and especially Potvin. Solid value at this point if you can make your team work around him.
My issue with Shore is a significant hole in his playoff resume.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
He’s not a a prolific playoff hero or anything, but I wouldn’t call two cups while putting up 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, and 2nd in defence scoring a “significant hole”.
Obviously that's relative to the other players available at this stage.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Not sure what that means, but regardless, since Shore is known to have been paired with a specific partner in a famous pairing, it's always a winning formula to pair him with someone similar. Obligatory? No. But it's a guaranteed winning formula.

Shore won 3 Hart Trophies after that famous partner retired.

I’m talking about the style of play. Shore played a huge chunk of his career before forward passing was allowed, so obviously there will be descriptions of that style of play. The numbers say Shore was a much better playmaker than he was a scorer, so the idea that he would only be a puck-carrying rusher is an unfair evaluation. Yes, he would join the rush at times, but he would also head-man the puck if needed, just like the modern guys do.

The same goes for the physical play. Shore’s physical play and penalty minutes should be put in the proper historical context. I think I might actually crunch some numbers on this, but he strikes me as likely comparable to somebody like Denis Potvin in that regard. He too was a savage who got even on a regular basis.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2