ATD 2021 REDUX

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Nate MacKinnon ... cue the diet jokes
Three Hart finalist nods in a 4-year stretch is nothing to sneeze at, and the 25 year old deserves an all-time great BENCH position, though his playoff prowess (69 points in 50 games) suggests the all-time greenhorn should see ice time in the end. 4th lines are made for relative rookies (if an ATD team is compared to a Canada Cup, World Cup or pro-participating Olympic team).

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Three Hart finalist nods in a 4-year stretch is nothing to sneeze at, and the 25 year old deserves an all-time great BENCH position, though his playoff prowess (69 points in 50 games) suggests the all-time greenhorn should see ice time in the end. 4th lines are made for relative rookies (if an ATD team is compared to a Canada Cup, World Cup or pro-participating Olympic team).

Ya not sure Lafontaine deserves the nod over Nate as 4C... they could probably both do the job

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ya not sure Lafontaine deserves the nod over Nate as 4C... they could probably both do the job
Yeah. Bench the 1000+ point (800-odd game) HHOFer for the 25 year old. Especially in the series against Henderson. ;)

Seriously though, Laffy lacks 1st team center and Hart trophies because he played in the era of Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic, Bourque, Hasek, Roy.

But let there be no doubt: LaFontaine was all-time great!

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yeah. Bench the 1000+ point (800-odd game) HHOFer for the 25 year old. Especially in the series against Henderson. ;)

Seriously though, Laffy lacks 1st team center and Hart trophies because he played in the era of Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic, Bourque, Hasek, Roy.

But let there be no doubt: LaFontaine was all-time great!

Well Lafontaine was my favorite player at one point so tie goes to the runner

Nate lacks actual Harts that he should have won ,,, at least 1.

Also he plays D, so is McD (or Patty) better than him??

Last edited:

tabness

GUCCY 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
I mean you can trade Patty to me man lol, I consider him on basically the same level as Yzerman just shorter career.

By the way @Dirt 101 I’m in for a round two draft if it happens, this one was a genius idea, thanks so much for inviting me.

Reactions: tinyzombies

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
The Kamloops Blazers are proud to select, from Morchansk, Russia, the original «Russian Rocket», Vsevolod Bobrov.

vsevolod-bobrov-ussr-football-champion-in-1946-1948-with-world-and-B9R9G1.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-8_21-36-3.jpeg
    upload_2021-8-8_21-36-3.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 1

tabness

GUCCY 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Another one of the guys I cant stop picking, big tough badass with a meteoric rise in the early nineties as a (the) top shutdown defenseman that unfortunately saw his career crater due to freak injuries, Mark Tinordi.

Tinordi gives me two of the toughest and meanest guys (three actually given what I've read about Egan) on my blueline. Though he's the eight defenseman I picked, I can't see him not in the lineup when not injured (which unfortunately happened a bit too frequently). I'll play him with the guy he was traded for, Kevin Hatcher, who he compliments very well, though he'd be a good partner for Duchesne as well.

Rookie Tinordi holding his own against the best:

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Chicago finishes off our squad with our backup goaltender Pekka Rinne, G

&

Bill Thoms, C

With Leswick able to play both wings, we don't have to draft a multi-position forward to have all positions covered

tabness

GUCCY 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
I will wrap it up with Stephane Richer

Was thinking about taking another one of my usual guys who can play all three forward positions and was great defensively, but I got a lot of good/great defensive forwards already and needed another big time scorer. Richer is just that. Richer's flattering stats include his even strength goal scoring obviously (his numbers are depressed as he didn't play/score as much on the powerplay as other top scorers, as well as just playing on defense first Montreal and then New Jersey, usually not with a great center either), but the dude still put up 315 even strength goals in his career, with 42 and 34 even strength goals in his two 50 goal years!

When it comes to depth guys in this thing who won't get much time on the powerplay, even strength performance is so important, and Richer fits the bill for me there.

But another real flattering stat is his first goals in the playoffs (we all know about his OT goals in the playoffs right?). Much is made of scoring first in the playoffs, it helps set the tone of the game and all that. Look at the career list of this and the company Richer keeps (all time greats and those with an immense "clutch" reputation):

Wayne Gretzky leads the way with 19.

Mario Lemieux and Brett Hull with 18.

Then it's Richer with 17! (joined by Jean Beliveau and Steve Yzerman though Richer did it in less games than both of them)

That's above the greats at 16 (Sidney Crosby, Joe Sakic, Jaromir Jagr) and 15 (Bobby Hull, Glenn Anderson, Mark Messier)!

Keep going down the list and see all the greats and clutch players (and Tomas Holmstrom lol!). It's a nice stat for Richer to be among the tops in.

Richer may be sitting out sometimes when going 11/7 and everyone's healthy, but when he plays he'll play the role of a Bernie Morris or Cully Wilson with Foyston and Walker, except he also brings some much needed size to that line as well.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
A checking line in the 1972 Summit Series was..

Dennis Hull - Jean Ratelle - Rod Gilbert

NOTE: All are on Henderson Silver Knights.

And so,... the last Silver Knight is Dennis Hull, "The Silver Jet", as Bobby Hull's younger brother was known.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
These are not meant to be a full reviews of teams' strengths and weaknesses, but just some lineup advice based on the current setup and players drafted...

A note for all 4 of these teams: List your Extra PK F and D for when one of your regular PKers is in the box.

@Dirt 101
Put Bobby Hull on the point on PP1, Hadfield up front. I think Hadfield is more suited to a 2nd unit, but he fits the role, and you don't have great PP Dmen, so Hull is a huge improvement back there
Chelios should be on PK1, he's an ELITE PKer
Goldham should be on PK 2 instead of Green
Green should be on the PP instead of Goldham, not sure if 1st or 2nd unit

@tinyzombies
You have to get Pat Lafontaine on the PP. You may even want him on the 1st unit for Backstrom, so Backstrom can play more at ES, but not sure. Here's my thoughts on the 2nd unit:
Heatley
R. Martin - Lafontaine/Backstrom - Balderis
L. Conacher

@Claude The Fraud
It feels like Provost and Gare should be switched, Provost is a better checker and ES scorer (would like to hear if others agree on this one)
Seems like Shanahan may be a better A than Perreault, but I really don't know about Perreault's leadership abilities, just that Shanny was a key leader on those Detroit teams

@TheDevilMadeMe
Not a lot to say, you have Davydov and Hedman on the wrong sides on the PK
EDIT: Nevermind, I thought Davydov played RD, but he was LD, so I guess no comments

More coming for the other teams later...

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
What are you talking about?

407 of Chelios' 948 career NHL points were on the friggin' powerplay!!!

Only 4 other dmen in this draft have more NHL points on the powerplay.

I'll detail my dmen's powerplay resumes later in the week. It's 1:15 am Thursday morning here and bedtime.

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
These are not meant to be a full reviews of teams' strengths and weaknesses, but just some lineup advice based on the current setup and players drafted...

A note for all 4 of these teams: List your Extra PK F and D for when one of your regular PKers is in the box.

@Dirt 101
Put Bobby Hull on the point on PP1, Hadfield up front. I think Hadfield is more suited to a 2nd unit, but he fits the role, and you don't have great PP Dmen, so Hull is a huge improvement back there
Chelios should be on PK1, he's an ELITE PKer
Goldham should be on PK 2 instead of Green
Green should be on the PP instead of Goldham, not sure if 1st or 2nd unit

@tinyzombies
You have to get Pat Lafontaine on the PP. You may even want him on the 1st unit for Backstrom, so Backstrom can play more at ES, but not sure. Here's my thoughts on the 2nd unit:
Heatley
R. Martin - Lafontaine/Backstrom - Balderis
L. Conacher

@Claude The Fraud
It feels like Provost and Gare should be switched, Provost is a better checker and ES scorer (would like to hear if others agree on this one)
Seems like Shanahan may be a better A than Perreault, but I really don't know about Perreault's leadership abilities, just that Shanny was a key leader on those Detroit teams

@TheDevilMadeMe
Not a lot to say, you have Davydov and Hedman on the wrong sides on the PK
EDIT: Nevermind, I thought Davydov played RD, but he was LD, so I guess no comments

More coming for the other teams later...

N Backstrom is one of the best pp players ever, it's the main reason I took him. Lafontaine is merely good.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
N Backstrom is one of the best pp players ever, it's the main reason I took him. Lafontaine is merely good.

I think there are argument as to which of those two are better on the PP, mainly related to Lafontaine likely being more of a driving force of his team's PP success, and he gets underrated by a metric like vs.X because of his injuries, but like I said, I'm not sure.

My main point was that Lafontaine needs to be on one of the units.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
What are you talking about?

407 of Chelios' 948 career NHL points were on the friggin' powerplay!!!

Only 4 other dmen in this draft have more NHL points on the powerplay.

I'll detail my dmen's powerplay resumes later in the week. It's 1:15 am Thursday morning here and bedtime.

I never said take Chelios off the PP (I guess maybe you got that since I said not sure if Ted Green should be 1st or 2nd unit, that was more just to give you something to look at). I'm pretty sure I would go with Hull - Chelios myself.

However, as far as #1 PP pointmen in this draft, if yours was Chelios, he'd probably be the weakest one in the draft. This is why I suggested moving Hull back there, as well as the fact that his shot is all-time ELITE, which I think you can get the most out of on the point.

For easy reference, here are the other #1 PP point men in this draft: Orr, Harvey, Bourque, Potvin, Coffey, Lapointe, Cameron.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think there are argument as to which of those two are better on the PP, mainly related to Lafontaine likely being more of a driving force of his team's PP success, and he gets underrated by a metric like vs.X because of his injuries, but like I said, I'm not sure.

My main point was that Lafontaine needs to be on one of the units.

I'll throw him on pp2, not enough puck to go around on pp1. Mario replaces Ovie for Backstrom to feed. Even Ovie can't match Mario's pp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad