ATD 2021 Draft Thread IV

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Whalers select Dave Andreychuk, LW
Toronto-Maple-Leafs-Dave-Andreychuk-Dertoit-Red-Wings-goalie-Tim-Cheveldae-1040x572.jpg

Elvis P

Runnin with the devil
Dec 10, 2007
Born to Run
The Jim Robson division appears tough. I thought Tocchet might be a 3rd liner, but I like Nabby's 3rd line better. Good luck all!

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's been 6 hours since the last selection.

Via list, @Hawkey Town 18 selects Pat Burns, Coach.

@MadArcand is up, I will send a PM.

Thanks for announcing my pick. One advantage of building a defensive minded team is that you have a lot more coaching options available to you. Burns should love the Shamrocks core of Doug Harvey, Frank Boucher, and Henri Richard. The Shamrocks also feature 11 players that have worn the "C" at some point in their careers, which should make things a little easier on Burns.

Burns has won the Jack Adams award 3 times (each with a different team).

Full Adams Record: 1, 1, 1, 3, 4, 6, 8

Burns has won 1 Stanley Cup in 2003 with NJ, made the Finals in 1989 with Montreal, and took Toronto to the Conference Finals in 1993 + 1994

Reactions: Voight

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
If you're good enough to play a defensive role for Canada in 3 best-on-best tournaments (4 if you include the 2005 World Championships during the full lockout season), you're good enough to be a bottom 6er in the ATD

I'll pick Patrick Marleau, LW/C

Gives me a really versatile bottom 6 that is strong at both ends of the ice:

Marty Pavelich - Anze Kopitar - Tony Amonte
Patrick Marleau - Phil Watson - Ed Westfall

With the ability to swap wingers between the 3rd and 4th lines, depending on if there is an opposing winger worth checking (like Gordie Howe or Bobby Hull - both in my division).

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
If you're good enough to play a defensive role for Canada in 3 best-on-best tournaments (4 if you include the 2005 World Championships during the full lockout season), you're good enough to be a bottom 6er in the ATD

I'll pick Patrick Marleau, LW/C

Gives me a really versatile bottom 6 that is strong at both ends of the ice:

Marty Pavelich - Anze Kopitar - Tony Amonte
Patrick Marleau - Phil Watson - Ed Westfall

With the ability to swap wingers between the 3rd and 4th lines, depending on if there is an opposing winger worth checking (like Gordie Howe or Bobby Hull - both in my division).

I was going to take him but literally before I refreshed changed my mind so I ain't mad.

Vladimir Kostka - Coach

Led Czechoslovakia's national team to a gold medal at the 1972 World Ice Hockey Championships, multiple silver and bronze medals at the following World Championships, and a bronze medal at the 1968 Winter Olympics.[5] The gold medal win at the 1972 World Championships halted the Soviet Union's record for most consecutive World Championship wins at nine.[1]

Kostka is considered to be the inventor of the contemporary defensive ice hockey strategy called left wing lock.[6][7][8] The technique involved moving the left wingers beside the defensmen, creating an obstacle in the middle zone.[8] This technique was used by the Czechoslovakia national team during the World Championships[8] and later by Scotty Bowman with the Detroit Red Wings in the National Hockey League.[6][9]

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Marleau is probably who I would've picked to complete my 4th line had I not decided to get Pat Burns as my coach. I just felt I couldn't risk playing the waiting game on a coach any longer.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Not on-duty today... but lots of stacked medical-appointment action for me and the patient.

I'm going to once again show my weakness- perhaps to a fault- for Character Men by selecting Norris-winner, Messier-winner and automatic A candidate Mark Giordano

Pm to @BenchBrawl

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
29% sounds good until you know that the average is closer to 35%

Yeah, I'm pretty much realizing that I'm screwed with the roster I have. This is far, far more in depth than I ever could have imagined, and it's becoming very frustrating at this point. I have no real power play threat on the left side, at either forward or defense, and I'm even less confident in the potential penalty kill that I have. I'm glad I tried this once, and I'm going to see it through, but I'm thinking more and more that I'm likely to be a one and done at the ATD.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Not on-duty today... but lots of stacked medical-appointment action for me and the patient.

I'm going to once again show my weakness- perhaps to a fault- for Character Men by selecting Norris-winner, Messier-winner and automatic A candidate Mark Giordano

Pm to @BenchBrawl

Really good pick. When I picked Beck, it was between him and Giordano. I picked Beck because I felt like it would be easier to find a defensive partner for him, since Giordano probably needs a physical guy, and there really aren't that many physical RDs in this range.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Yeah, I'm pretty much realizing that I'm screwed with the roster I have. This is far, far more in depth than I ever could have imagined, and it's becoming very frustrating at this point. I have no real power play threat on the left side, at either forward or defense, and I'm even less confident in the potential penalty kill that I have. I'm glad I tried this once, and I'm going to see it through, but I'm thinking more and more that I'm likely to be a one and done at the ATD.

I want to make sure about something. I just realized how this could have come across as complaining, and I don't mean it that way. I want to clarify that I'm just saying there's an intensity to this that, barring something that flips my frame of thought, I'm coming to the conclusion simply isn't for me.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

You're not screwed in the least. This is an in depth exercise but honestly, there aren't THAT many people who go balls to the wall with every aspect. I've voiced my displeasure (relative) at how mathematical the entire process has become, and that was greatly borne out of the VsX and other formulas brought forth 6, 7, 8 years ago. Those things are great barometers but not the end all, be all. Research goes a long way beyond number crunching.

Take it from someone who over analyzed this thing to death, and got so wrapped up in trying to win, it's best to abandon that line of thinking.

Just have fun with it. There is no right or wrong way to build. At the end of the day if you're having a good time, finding new information on players, learning about the history of the game, everything else is gravy.

You've done a great job thus far. Better than I probably did haha. You're picking on time, contributing to the discussion and have a more advanced knowledge of this arena than I did in 2014.

Don't get discouraged bud. You're doing a fantastic job!

Reactions: Professor What

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Now that they are all picked, I figure I might as well post my "top 100 NHL defensemen of all-time" ballot that I sent in for the THN article.

Note that we were specifically instructed that projecting out active players a few years was allowed, so I figured everyone else would do it, so I should as well, for consistency. So some of the active players might look a little off (for example, if Subban keeps sucking, he'd probably be dropped a bit, as his ranking assumes he adds a little value after 2020).

So here's my top 100 list as of Spring 2020, with a year of two of projection for active players.
  1. Bobby Orr
  2. Doug Harvey
  3. Raymond Bourque
  4. Nicklas Lidstrom
  5. Eddie Shore
  6. Red Kelly
  7. Denis Potvin
  8. Larry Robinson
  9. Chris Chelios
  10. King Clancy
  11. Paul Coffey
  12. Brad Park
  13. Pierre Pilote
  14. Sprague Cleghorn
  15. Scott Stevens
  16. Chris Pronger
  17. Zdeno Chara
  18. Earl Seibert
  19. Tim Horton
  20. Al MacInnis
  21. Borje Salming
  22. Duncan Keith
  23. Bill Gadsby
  24. Brian Leetch
  25. Erik Karlsson
  26. Dit Clapper
  27. Drew Doughty
  28. Eddie Gerard
  29. Bill Quackenbush
  30. Mark Howe
  31. Ivan “Ching” Johnson
  32. Serge Savard
  33. Jack Stewart
  34. Scott Niedermayer
  35. Guy Lapointe
  36. Marcel Pronovost
  37. Jacques Laperriere
  38. Ebbie Goodfellow
  39. Victor Hedman
  40. Rod Langway
  41. Jean-Claude Tremblay
  42. Lionel Conacher
  43. Shea Weber
  44. Rob Blake
  45. Georges “Buck” Boucher
  46. Carl Brewer
  47. Albert “Babe” Seibert
  48. Emile “Butch” Bouchard
  49. Ken Reardon
  50. Art Coulter
  51. Tom Johnson
  52. Harry Cameron
  53. Sylvio Mantha
  54. Allan Stanley
  55. Doug Wilson
  56. Larry Murphy
  57. Ryan Suter
  58. Fern Flaman
  59. Harry Howell
  60. Bill White
  61. Jimmy Thomson
  62. Alex Pietrangelo
  63. Herb Gardiner
  64. Pat Stapleton
  65. Roman Josi
  66. Eric Desjardins
  67. Lionel Hitchman
  68. Derian Hatcher
  69. Brad McCrimmon
  70. John Carlson
  71. Sergei Zubov
  72. Hap Day
  73. Jack Crawford
  74. Sergei Gonchar
  75. Kris Letang
  76. Brent Burns
  77. Doug Mohns
  78. Walter “Babe” Pratt
  79. Mervyn “Red” Dutton
  80. Cy Wentworth
  81. P.K. Subban
  82. Gus Mortson
  83. Bob Goldham
  84. Mark Giordano
  85. Elmer “Moose” Vasko
  86. Jim Neilson
  87. Bob Baun
  88. William “Flash” Hollett
  89. Dan Boyle
  90. Jim Schoenfeld
  91. Barry Beck
  92. Mike Ramsey
  93. Kevin Lowe
  94. Leo Boivin
  95. Vladimir Konstantinov
  96. Terry Harper
  97. Phil Housley
  98. George “Red” Horner
  99. Ehrhardt “Ott” Heller
  100. Leo Reise, Jr

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I want to make sure about something. I just realized how this could have come across as complaining, and I don't mean it that way. I want to clarify that I'm just saying there's an intensity to this that, barring something that flips my frame of thought, I'm coming to the conclusion simply isn't for me.

I think it is only as intense as you make it; I look as it as a way to learn more about hockey while being able to creatively interact with what I am learning. At the end of the day, only one person wins every year, so I don't make that my focus.

You have to do right by you, but I hope you decide to become a regular ATDer.

Also, I think your PP is better than you think. You can PM me if you want, or you can go to the help thread for additional/more in depth opinions.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
You're not screwed in the least. This is an in depth exercise but honestly, there aren't THAT many people who go balls to the wall with every aspect. I've voiced my displeasure (relative) at how mathematical the entire process has become, and that was greatly borne out of the VsX and other formulas brought forth 6, 7, 8 years ago. Those things are great barometers but not the end all, be all. Research goes a long way beyond number crunching.

Take it from someone who over analyzed this thing to death, and got so wrapped up in trying to win, it's best to abandon that line of thinking.

Just have fun with it. There is no right or wrong way to build. At the end of the day if you're having a good time, finding new information on players, learning about the history of the game, everything else is gravy.

You've done a great job thus far. Better than I probably did haha. You're picking on time, contributing to the discussion and have a more advanced knowledge of this arena than I did in 2014.

Don't get discouraged bud. You're doing a fantastic job!

I do appreciate that. I have had some fun with it. It also helps to hear someone else say they've overanalyzed it and stuck with it, because I overanalyze everything. I guess my problem is that I don't know how to not throw myself in pedal to the metal with something that interests me, not to mention that I tend to be way too self-critical. I guess maybe I should see how I feel after this is over and I've had some breathing room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad