ATD 2021 Draft Thread IV

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I'll pick a mega-physical two-way defenseman in Barry Beck, D

Norris record: 6, 6, 7, 7, 9 (among the best available), despite regularly missing a few games every season due to injuries, likely related to his style of play.

6th in Hart voting in 1982

#1 defenseman on his NHL team in Time-On-Ice 7 times in 8 years

1979 NHL coach's poll: 2nd (tie) best fighter, 3rd toughest player, 4th hardest shot
1981 NHL player's poll: 1st hardest hitter

Played for Team Canada in Best-on-Best tournaments in both 1979 and 1981.

Old profile with quotes: ATD 2013 BIO Thread (quotes, stats, pics, sources, everything)

He almost killed me once. Took a slapshot from his own end and it hit the very tip top of the glass behind the Montreal net- was on it's way to my forehead. Surprised the glass didn't break, it was a bomb.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
FWIW, here's an article about Beck's problem with his then-coach in 1986: New York Rangers captain Barry Beck said Tuesday he...

Noteworthy perhaps is that Beck was the 3rd prominent Ranger to refuse to play anymore under that coach.

I honestly didn't know about any of this before, but it seems like that coach (who had only coached the team for 1 year and was fired early into the next season) was really unpopular.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
They played together for much of the 1995-96 and 1996-97 seasons. Looking at who Fedorov scored his ES points with, I would say about half or a little more than half of each season, maybe 1-1.25 seasons if you combine the two.

For those two seasons combined, the five were in the top nine in league-wide plus-minus (Konstantinov was #1 and Fedorov was #2). Their even-strength on-ice GF/GA rations (R-ON) for these seasons were as follows:

Vladimir Konstantinov 2.31 (160/69)
Igor Larionov 2.16 (130/60)
Sergei Fedorov 2.11 (145/69)
Slava Fetisov 2.05 (123/60)
The other guy 1.80 (128/71)

That's dominance. And remember, this is with a 36 year old Larionov and a 38 year old Fetisov who was coming off being a healthy scratch in New Jersey.

Transposing this to my d group would you:

Lidstrom-Konstantinov
Vasko-Tom Johnson
Boivin - Karlsson

or flip TJ and VK?

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Here's an article on the Russian 5 where Bowman says Fedorov played Center and Larionov RW, but also says positioning wasn't important for the style they played, which was my first thought as well.

Here's another quote on how much they played together from the same article:

Scotty Bowman recalls Red Wings’ Russian Five: ‘A special group’

@overpass

Thanks! I think I actually read that article but I missed that Larionov lined up on the right. I’ll change my roster post.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
FWIW, here's an article about Beck's problem with his then-coach in 1986: New York Rangers captain Barry Beck said Tuesday he...

Noteworthy perhaps is that Beck was the 3rd prominent Ranger to refuse to play anymore under that coach.

I honestly didn't know about any of this before, but it seems like that coach (who had only coached the team for 1 year and was fired early into the next season) was really unpopular.
New GM takes over, dismisses offending coach, then makes personal appeal for Beck to return- and was spurned.

I'll admit- I can't get a good read on where his head was in the aftermath.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Transposing this to my d group would you:

Lidstrom-Konstantinov
Vasko-Tom Johnson
Boivin - Karlsson

or flip TJ and VK?

Oh man honestly I would love to see Lidstrom and Karlsson together. Lidstrom liked playing with a RHS partner and he would be the ideal partner for Karlsson.

But if you want Lidstrom to be part of a strong defensive pairing, I think your current setup is good. Lidstrom and Konstantinov weren’t regular partners but I don’t see why they couldn’t be. Probably half the reason they didn’t play together much in Detroit is they were young defencemen who were paired with a veteran, and that’s not really a consideration in the ATD because there are no “young” players here, unless you count players like McDavid as young.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Oh man honestly I would love to see Lidstrom and Karlsson together. Lidstrom liked playing with a RHS partner and he would be the ideal partner for Karlsson.

But if you want Lidstrom to be part of a strong defensive pairing, I think your current setup is good. Lidstrom and Konstantinov weren’t regular partners but I don’t see why they couldn’t be. Probably half the reason they didn’t play together much in Detroit is they were young defencemen who were paired with a veteran, and that’s not really a consideration in the ATD because there are no “young” players here, unless you count players like McDavid as young.

hmmm

Naslund-Forsberg-Makarov
Lidstrom-Karlsson

Vasko-Tom Johnson
Boivin-Konstantinov (holy sh..)

Sure, why not.

Last edited:

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Whalers select Dino Ciccarelli, RW

dino-ciccarelli-minnesota-north-stars_1_71169d0c41bc8dbed6e492afdab9f827.jpg

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pretty happy to see this guy is still on the board. I actually gave him a look back when I drafted Kevin Lowe 87 picks ago...

In 1984 he finished second to Rod Langway in a coach's poll for best defensive defenseman, and in a 1990 coach's poll he finished first in the same category.

Over his career he killed 49% of his team's penalties on PK's that were 12% better than the league average.

Chicago is happy to select Mike Ramsey, D

Reactions: overpass

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Pretty happy to see this guy is still on the board. I actually gave him a look back when I drafted Kevin Lowe 87 picks ago...

In 1984 he finished second to Rod Langway in a coach's poll for best defensive defenseman, and in a 1990 coach's poll he finished first in the same category.

Over his career he killed 49% of his team's penalties on PK's that were 12% better than the league average.

Yeah, I don't see all that much difference between him and Lowe. So either you got relatively poor value with Lowe or relatively good value with Ramsey. IMO, it's a bit of both. Not all that many defensemen drafted between them, and things like that happen.

(I actually had the two of them back-to-back on my top 100 NHL defensemen list that I submitted to THN)

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I don't see all that much difference between him and Lowe. So either you got relatively poor value with Lowe or relatively good value with Ramsey. IMO, it's a bit of both.

(I actually had the two of them back-to-back on my top 100 defensemen list that I submitted to THN)

I think this is fair. Right now my minutes chart has them playing the same amount of time, which is least of all my Dmen.

IMO my top 3 D of Harvey, Quackenbush, and Pospisil are elite to very good as #1, #2, #3 Dmen respectively. Between that and Harvey's versatility I think those two fit into the lineup very well. Also, both can play next to Joe Simpson when needed.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007

I think Ramsey was good value here. He had a really good decade from 1981-82 to 1990-91 where he killed 57% of his teams penalties, played big minutes at even strength while being a plus player, played in All-Star games, and got mentioned as a top defensive defenceman in coaches and players pills. I strongly considered him when I picked Reise.

Reactions: Hawkey Town 18

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Well, Pittsburgh will waste no time in rushing to the podium to grab this 2 way boss. His even strength scoring rate is premium for this stage of the draft. He was strong in both directions and made a living playing behind more renowned pivot men (Belivuea, Richard). He was strong on the fore check and noted as a very intelligent player. Big hockey IQ which I love. Another strong skater which is a central theme here. Reputed to be strong on the draw. 4 time Cup winner.

Pittsburgh is excited to select:

Phil Goyette, C

photo_goyette-next-to-photo3.jpg

Absolutely fantastic bio by @seventieslord from 2017:

ATD 2017 Bios

And with the second of the back to back picks, Pittsburgh will secure a key bench player. A more traditional defensive C (though his ES scoring is quite good for a Selke winner), he'll get the call when the other team throws out a superstar C. An elite penalty killer all time, both in terms of usage and kill rate, this player also produced very strong scoring numbers a man down. Great leader for the Flyers back in the day,

Pittsburgh brings a man west,

Dave Poulin, C

cut.jpg

bio from the one and only @BubbaBoot

ATD 2013 BIO Thread (quotes, stats, pics, sources, everything)

tabness

GUCCY 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
I'll pick the other goalie who carried the sunburst logo and the team, John Vanbiesbrouck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad