Stockholm Full Throttle selects Jim Pappin, RW

jim-pappin-chicago-blackhawks-signed-8x10-photo-12-t551877-500.jpg

ATD 2014 BIOS
ATD 2013 BIOS

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Rob pretty much covered the statistical argument. Alexandrov appears to have been at least as good a scorer in both the domestic league and in international matches, and this is before we normalize assists to modern levels, which would only help Alexandrov in the comparison.

It is also worth noting that Alexandrov is still the owner of the single-season goalscoring record in the Soviet-now-Russian league, with 53 goals in the 1962-63 season. This record is pretty much the Babe Ruth home run record of Soviet/Russian hockey...so much so that Petrov was evidently treated like Roger Maris when he came close to breaking it.

April 23, 2003, 00:00, №74 (16026)
Author: Dmitry PonomarenkoSergey Chuev

Tomorrow will be 40 years to the day since CSKA striker Benjamin Alexandrov set a phenomenal record, scoring in the national championship 53 goals. CSKA Moscow in the season 1962/63 held 37 matches. It is easy to calculate that Alexander threw almost two goals per game.

Closest to the now seemingly fantastic achievement Veniamin Alexandrov came in the last forty years, another striker CSKA Moscow - Vladimir Petrov. In the USSR Championship-1969/70, he scored 51 goal - only two less than the champion. Since then, the mark "50" could not reach anyone.

Tarasov hold

- Vladimir Vladimirovich, to a record you do not have quite a bit. When approached him know how much remained to score?

- Imagine not. But Anatoly Tarasov knew and apparently did not want me to hit the target. How Come? We can only guess. Whether he thought I was too young for this, whether the matter is something else. One way or another, and Tarasov began suddenly to give me much less opportunity to play on the power play. I tell the guys that I do not understand why this happens. They told me: "What are you, like a record performance to beat?" Me: "What other record?" I had no idea who scored 53 goals, who - much more. So just do not think about it, all by itself going.

- What does this mean?

- First of all, the low level of mastery of modern players. We often hear that the case is different: change, say, a game. Yes, in our hockey today is really dominated by defensive tactics. This is definitely a negative impact on performance. But the main thing is different. No penetrative power of the attackers, no new Alexandrov or Kharlamovs that could beat defenders 1 to 1 and even more - 1 in 2. Perhaps schools now educate players anyway? And here already is and tactics. Not what the coaches are not specifically want their team worked with an emphasis on attack. The presence of a certain level of skill players just involves the choice of tactics.

He studied at the ALEXANDROVA

- Prior to the creation of the legendary trio Mikhailov - Petrov - Kharlamov you played with Benjamin Alexandrov in one link. It is possible in this case to say that you learned from him the most direct way?

- Not only possible, but necessary. In general, we have learned from the triple [undrafted] - [undrafted] - Alexander, who had been leading CSKA, and the team, and then we became the successor of the great masters. By the way, took me in his time Tarasov from "Wings of the Soviets" in place to finish his career in exactly [undrafted]'s position to [undrafted] and Alexandrov. He then combined and the team we had planned to include. Although I am a center forward, Anatoly saw me on the edge. But then, when [undrafted] finished playing, I became the center together with Mikhailov and Alexandrov.

Simply put, Alexandrov was a considerably more "legendary" player than anybody around these parts seems to realize. He is spoken of by all kinds of sources with quite a bit of reverence, and often mentioned as the greatest forward of his, the pre-Firsov generation. Starshinov had his share of star power, as well, but as far as I can tell, it was not as great as Alexandrov's.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
From one contender to the best before Vezina to another.

The Boston Bandits select, Percy Lesueur, G

Massive steal IMO. He should be firmly in the top-32 selected after what I've read on him. Legitimate case for him being the best in the world for at least 3 seasons.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Massive steal IMO. He should be firmly in the top-32 selected after what I've read on him. Legitimate case for him being the best in the world for at least 3 seasons.

Agreed, I definitely consider him in the same context as Lundqvist. Low-end albeit solid netminder.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
So I'll take Murray Oliver, C for centering my fourth line with Tim Kerr and play on my 2nd PK.

My second pick .... Well the list I scribble is not very clear. Hm, I never been good to pick up coaches, but I think Ken Hitchcock is a very good defensive oriented coach that suits my team pretty well.

Can someone PM the next guy? Thanks guy

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The Bears are happy to add a solid two way option who was a pain in the ass to play against and he had some solid shutdown years in NJ. Again, looking at my division there are some very big bodied C's and this guy matches up well. We'll start our 4th line with:

Bobby Holik C

robert-e2809cbobbye2809d-holik.jpg

Great bio on Holik by Raptor

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
:clap: better than Joel Otto I've always thought.

Thanks for the applause. I'd have to agree with you.

With Holik and Pete "Little M" Mahovlich (nickname always cracks me up) you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger or more nasty 3/4 C combo to play against night in and night out in this go around of the ATD.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Isn't Bobby Holik just Joel Otto plus about 30% more offense?

(you could also add that their playoff resumes are about the same, Otto's maybe about 10% better individually, Holik's about 10% better for team results)

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
There's a difference in Selke records, especially when you consider how quickly it breaks down compared to other award voting.

Otto also has very good PK numbers.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thanks for the applause. I'd have to agree with you.

With Holik and Pete "Little M" Mahovlich (nickname always cracks me up) you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger or more nasty 3/4 C combo to play against night in and night out in this go around of the ATD.

Absolutely would have taken Bobby Holik with my next pick. Nice one.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
There's a difference in Selke records, especially when you consider how quickly it breaks down compared to other award voting.

Otto has a slight bit more defensive value in terms of his ability to PK but i think there is a decent sized difference when you consider Holik put up some pretty solid offensive numbers in the height of the dead puck era, whereas Otto played 3/4ths of his career in the 80's and early 90's. I think the gap offensively is slightly larger than defensively. Just my .02

It's very marginal overall though.

A good question is do you think Otto is worth 200 spots more than Holik?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
We wanted him for our 1st PP unit. Nice choice.

You wanted Doug Weight on your FIRST PP???

Isn't Bobby Holik just Joel Otto plus about 30% more offense?

(you could also add that their playoff resumes are about the same, Otto's maybe about 10% better individually, Holik's about 10% better for team results)

At even strength, probably.

The difference in Selke voting is because Otto killed penalties (well) and Holik didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad