ATD #11 Playoff Results

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sorry for missing the vote guys, part one of my two part vacation got in the way. I'll be gone from Tuesday to next Monday likely, I'll try to read the arguments though if I'm back before the deadline, I don't intend to disappear just because my team lost.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'd like to create my playoff series thread, and the other one too, I suppose, but before I do I just want to make sure I know who my opponent is. I have been having a hard time finding which conference contains which divisions. As mentioned earlier, I think my opponent is Arrbez, but can someone please confirm?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'd like to create my playoff series thread, and the other one too, I suppose, but before I do I just want to make sure I know who my opponent is. I have been having a hard time finding which conference contains which divisions. As mentioned earlier, I think my opponent is Arrbez, but can someone please confirm?
consult the ATD 11 Regular Season Standings thread I had created, where teams are listed by division and conference:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=644547

Jim Coleman conference finals: Inglewood Jacks vs. Regina Pats
Red Fisher conference finals: Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Thanks.

Alright, arrbez... Bring it!

Consider it brang!

Before the voting starts, I think it should be noted that the letters in the name "seventieslord" can be re-arranged to form "Evident Losers". As you all know, I'm not one for wild speculation. But certain things can not be ignored. Does this anagram perhaps foreshadow his team's upcoming results for this series? Just something to think about, people.

And for those interested, "Regina Pats" becomes "Pagan Rites", which is clearly what they'll have to resort to if they want any hope of downing the mighty Inglewood Jacks.

;)

Last edited:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
The Dingo is the most dangerous animal in the jungle. Especially a wounded one suffering from lockjaw. That's a fact.

Hide your babies, people.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I havn't been around since I started school, I'm sorry about that. The ATD has unfortunately sunk to a brand new low in term of priority.

Everyone is find about sending their vote before saturday, and I'll compile them sunday. I don't have time either before or after this weekend so it's pretty much the definitive time, unless someone else compile the results.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Thank You to Raleh, Nalyd Psycho, Sturminator, Hedberg, Seventieslord and Spitfire11 for voting. We all know it's difficult to keep interest at this point in the draft.

In a really close contest, the Boston Bruins defeat the Detroit Red Wings in 7 games.

The Inglewood Jacks win over the Regina Pats in 7 games.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Sorry I didn't vote... I think I just missed reading post #110. Was a PM sent out?

Yeah, I definitely missed the voting as well. Sorry about that EB.

Congrats to Regina on a great series, I thought you guys had me in that one. I really liked your team, and can only assume that it was my anagram-based rhetoric that put me over the top.

This is my first trip to the finals, fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada

Congrats to Regina on a great series, I thought you guys had me in that one. I really liked your team, and can only assume that it was my anagram-based rhetoric that put me over the top.

Well it's hard to dispute someone when they claim:

TEAM OF DESTINY (and I'm never wrong about this*)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Yeah, we thought we had you too. You better be prepared to get involved in your next series. Crossing your fingers ain't gonna do it! :wink:

How does Regina feel? Can't speak for my co-GM, but I'm fine. I knew this series could go either way. These series can be won and lost in the trenches, and though we battled harder, that doesn't guarantee anything anyway. Having the two best defensemen in the series is something that not a lot of teams will have an answer for.

I wish more than six people had voted. I also wish EB hadn't told us that only six people voted. Makes it a little harder to accept when the jury wasn't anything close to the whole pool of GMs. HO, who said Regina was perhaps his favourite team in the draft, didn't know it was voting time. Doesn't mean we had a guaranteed vote there, but either way, more opinions = better results. That's the way she goes, I guess. And that's on me, too, because I meant to PM Pitseleh yesterday and ask him to send a mass PM to all the ATD GMs. I would do it myself but I'm conflicted about that because it can look like campaigning, plus it's hella time consuming.

But hey, making the final four in the greatest hockey ATD on earth feels really, really good. It's not like we're going to build an inferior team next time. We'll be back.

(sort of a turnaround from ATD10 when I was convinced I'd never do better, hey?)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Honestly, knowing what the voting pool was last time was why I was close to quiting ATDs all together...

Yep, and the more I think about it, the less it is about my own series and the more it is about the other. Frankly, I am a little uncomfortable that my vote represented one quarter of the votes that determined that series.

But, what can you do other than hope everyone stays interested? You can just accept votes from whoever votes at this point, and get results like this, or you can send out a mass PM and get 10 more votes from GMs who may or may not be paying attention. In those cases, we hope that those courteous enough to vote have read the arguments or at least looked over the lineups, but who knows. Neither is ideal.

Plus, it's easy for me to lament those who lose interest but I admittedly could have lost interest by now too, if I hadn't been in it all this time. So I can't really get on my soapbox about staying interested in the ATD when four teams are left.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It's summer!

July and August are write-offs for me in terms of free time around a computer. The sun sets late and rises early and with a full time job that means outside time during the warm part of the year is limited.

We REALLY need to start ATDs sooner in the fall to get the playoffs done BEFORE the Christmas season (ALL done by Dec 15th) and the winter ATD done BEFORE June (ALL done by May 31st).

Start the fall ATD at the very start of September instead of the start of October.
Start the winter ATD at the very start of March instead of the start of April.

That would help greatly.

I have been super active in these drafts over the years but my June-August and late December is just too busy guys. I can't be alone in this.

Sorry again in not having voted the last two rounds. I'll try to be around for this round, but I make no promises. I'm gone from this Thursday to next Tuesday, on a beach the whole time. If it wasn't for the NHL draft and free agent signings I wouldn't have even logged on this time of year.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
It's summer!

July and August are write-offs for me in terms of free time around a computer. The sun sets late and rises early and with a full time job that means outside time during the warm part of the year is limited.

We REALLY need to start ATDs sooner in the fall to get the playoffs done BEFORE the Christmas season (ALL done by Dec 15th) and the winter ATD done BEFORE June (ALL done by May 31st).

Start the fall ATD at the very start of September instead of the start of October.
Start the winter ATD at the very start of March instead of the start of April.

That would help greatly.

I have been super active in these drafts over the years but my June-August and late December is just too busy guys. I can't be alone in this.

Sorry again in not having voted the last two rounds. I'll try to be around for this round, but I make no promises. I'm gone from this Thursday to next Tuesday, on a beach the whole time. If it wasn't for the NHL draft and free agent signings I wouldn't have even logged on this time of year.

This is a big part of it. Now that the initial stages of the free agent signing period are over (and most of the primo free agents are gone), I'm not thinking about a sport played on ice. The only time I want to think about ice is when I'm sitting in my sans-air conditioning suite.

It's summer. I'm thinking football, baseball (I'm second in my pool this year), golf, barbecues, patios and ice cold bottles of anything that has the word Rickards.

And it's also an issue that these playoffs have dragged on. You should have a maximum of one week for a series. That's seven days to discuss, vote and write up. If you want to get votes from guys who are eliminated, you can't have series that are dragging on for about a week-and-a-half.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Alright, I made a thread for the finals. Let's try to soldier through this over the next week. Does Tuesday the 23rd of July sound good for voting? It gives us a week, and it's not like we've been running out of time to discuss things.

Either today or tomorrow, I'll give a few thoughts on the series. I'm not going to try to guilt people into doing the same, because I'd just be a giant hypocrite wouldn't I? But seriously, let's try to end the ATD on a respectable note. It's one of my favourite parts of these boards, and I'm sure it's the same for you guys. This one just lost momentum for whatever reason.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, we thought we had you too. You better be prepared to get involved in your next series. Crossing your fingers ain't gonna do it! :wink:

How does Regina feel? Can't speak for my co-GM, but I'm fine. I knew this series could go either way. These series can be won and lost in the trenches, and though we battled harder, that doesn't guarantee anything anyway. Having the two best defensemen in the series is something that not a lot of teams will have an answer for.

I wish more than six people had voted. I also wish EB hadn't told us that only six people voted. Makes it a little harder to accept when the jury wasn't anything close to the whole pool of GMs. HO, who said Regina was perhaps his favourite team in the draft, didn't know it was voting time. Doesn't mean we had a guaranteed vote there, but either way, more opinions = better results. That's the way she goes, I guess. And that's on me, too, because I meant to PM Pitseleh yesterday and ask him to send a mass PM to all the ATD GMs. I would do it myself but I'm conflicted about that because it can look like campaigning, plus it's hella time consuming.

But hey, making the final four in the greatest hockey ATD on earth feels really, really good. It's not like we're going to build an inferior team next time. We'll be back.

(sort of a turnaround from ATD10 when I was convinced I'd never do better, hey?)

Damn, I thought we could've squeaked this one by, but I'm not surprised we lost. arrbez, you have a helluva team bro, congrats on making the finals.

I gotta agree with my co-GM's entire post. I'm honestly a bit disappointed, only in that now that I know only 6 people voted, I can't help but think maybe another 6 people would've voted for us. Although, seeing as I wasn't able to vote myself, I don't see how I can get mad at anyone for not doing so. But I'm not disappointed with the result. If you told me three ATD's ago that teams I co-GM'ed would make the final four - two ATD's in a row - I'd say you're out of your mind. Well, it's happened. Only two GM's that've had made it as far as me in both are my previous co-GM, Evil Speaker, and his co-GM this time around, and last time's champ, Sturm. While I wasn't the full contributor to these teams, and gotta thank my partners, I'm still pretty happy my personal progress since ATD7.

Enough about my short list of personal accomplishments though, mainly congrats to Inglewood for a great series, and watch out, because we'll definitely be back.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I'm going on vacation tomorrow. I won't have internet access & I won't be back for 5 days (which is possibly after the voting deadline).

Would you guys rather I vote today (based on the fact that I've followed every round so I'm familiar with the teams)? Or would that be unfair given that both sides won't have time to make their arguments?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I think we should probably get as many votes as we can, so now is good i guess. Is EB around? Obviously I can't take the votes, because I'm an untrustworthy fellow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad