ATD #11 Playoff Results

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I'm going on vacation tomorrow. I won't have internet access & I won't be back for 5 days (which is possibly after the voting deadline).

Would you guys rather I vote today (based on the fact that I've followed every round so I'm familiar with the teams)? Or would that be unfair given that both sides won't have time to make their arguments?

Send it my way.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
This really isn't working. Everybody enjoys the draft itself & the first round of the playoffs. After that, it just seems to slowly die. Why not after the first playoff round, just rank(by vote) the remaining teams and be done with it.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
You are absolutely right.

The system need to be rework, it's getting pathetic.

Send your vote before Tuesday, July 22nd to me. The Winner will be announce the day after, weither I'm getting 15 votes or 5 votes.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
This really isn't working. Everybody enjoys the draft itself & the first round of the playoffs. After that, it just seems to slowly die.
Excellent observation!

Let's keep the baby though and throw out the bathwater. The playoffs drag, are simply way too long.

I recommend a three-day first round discussion but after that... only 24 hour discussion and 24 hour voting for each round after the first round of the playoffs. Fast! That way it's like the draft itself: something happens everyday, everyone needs to check in every day or two. That way the playoffs will take just under two weeks in total!

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
A big reason why it dies off after the first round is that most guys don't care once their team is eliminated. They find other things to do, either on HF or elsewhere. And during the summer, it's accentuated.

Some of our GMs are basically only all-time draft participants. They're rock-solid and reliable during the draft. They're fun to have around. But the only reason they're on HF is due to the draft. Once their team is finished, they're not around for a few months, until the next draft.

I think VanI's suggestion has some merit. 24 hours to discuss. 24 hours to vote. It's not like winning this thing really means anything in the grand scheme of things: it's an on-line fantasy draft with a bunch of guys I'll never meet, with no cash prize or trophy. No league fee. Once the teams are picked, and discussion of the rosters is finished, my interest dips considerably. And a significant portion of the discussion amounts to arguing in circles.

The reason I like the one-week round is that everybody knows when votes will be due. Start the threads on Sunday, continue to discuss through Tuesday, open voting on Wednesday and Thursday (discussion remains open during the voting days, although most valid points have already been made). Votes are tallied and released on Friday and Saturday. If write-ups will be part of the process, they will have to be done by Saturday night. It takes a little longer (five weeks), but guys know when things have to be finished, and they have two days to vote.

The way it is now, the playoffs drag way too long, the discussion period takes too long and winds up going around in circles, and guys don't know when they will need to vote.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
And a significant portion of the discussion amounts to arguing in circles.

I agree with you here. In fact, it seems to be getting worse with each iteration. I wouldt almost go so far as to suggest that GMs be allowed just a single post to present their arguments, with addenda permitted only in the case of factual errors (on either side). I don't actually believe such a hard restriction is a good idea, but even these kind of draconian measures would likely be preferable to the status quo. A strict time deadline is probably the best solution. We have, perhaps sadly, gotten past the point where novel arguments are even remotely common. Most positions around here seem to be getting fairly worn out already, and seeing them rehashed ad infinitum in the playoffs doesn't really motivate me to read the matchup threads in depth. I do, of course, but at times, it doesn't really feel like it's worth it.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I agree with you here. In fact, it seems to be getting worse with each iteration. I wouldt almost go so far as to suggest that GMs be allowed just a single post to present their arguments, with addenda permitted only in the case of factual errors (on either side). I don't actually believe such a hard restriction is a good idea, but even these kind of draconian measures would likely be preferable to the status quo. A strict time deadline is probably the best solution. We have, perhaps sadly, gotten past the point where novel arguments are even remotely common. Most positions around here seem to be getting fairly worn out already, and seeing them rehashed ad infinitum in the playoffs doesn't really motivate me to read the matchup threads in depth. I do, of course, but at times, it doesn't really feel like it's worth it.
I think there does need to be some opportunity to rebut an argument, but it should be a rebuttal that brings new material into the debate, and not one that rehashes a prior point. If we're going to go the route of 24 hours to debate, and 24 hours to vote, I won't vote against it. It'll speed up the process, which is great, but I question whether it will get GMs to vote once they are eliminated from the playoffs, which is really the big issue because we're not getting a healthy number of GMs to vote.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Just got back yesterday, I suppose congratulations to Sturm on returning to the finals is in order. Crappy way to go out as it looks like the vote was probably split 2/2 and decided by the number of games voters thought the series would go. Ah well, it was a good run. I said at the start this would be my last draft and I’m gonna stick to it. Maybe I’ll return if you guys make it to ATD-20 or 25. Good luck.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Just got back yesterday, I suppose congratulations to Sturm on returning to the finals is in order. Crappy way to go out as it looks like the vote was probably split 2/2 and decided by the number of games voters thought the series would go. Ah well, it was a good run. I said at the start this would be my last draft and I’m gonna stick to it. Maybe I’ll return if you guys make it to ATD-20 or 25. Good luck.
Let me just say that I hope you do reconsider, Spit. See what happens after you sit out a draft or two. Maybe you'll get the "itch" to come back. I hope so. The draft won't be the same without you.

And you can be sure that in five years, when we're ready for ATD 20, I'll send you a PM to ask you to consider returning.

This draft wouldn't exist without Spit, BM, LL, Sather, JFF and a few others who started it up a few years ago.

Regardless of whether this is your last one or not, it's been a pleasure to be a part of this with you, and to be initiated by you, so to speak, in ATD 5.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
If new arguments being presented are a rarity, why do we insist on having the draft so often? Why isn't it yearly?

Couldn't we prevent it from getting so stale, by spacing it out better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad