Atd#10 - THE AAA DRAFT (a full edition)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
For my first pick today, Old No. 7 selects:

Don "Bones" Raleigh (C)

Raleigh had a solid 10 year career with the Rangers, scoring 320 points in 530 games. His career best was 61 points in 1951-52, good enough for fourth in league scoring.

His claim to fame, and the reason I think he deserves recognition, is his play in the 1950 Stanley Cup final. He scored OT winners in games 4 and 5 against Detroit. In game 7, I believe he rang another off the post in OT. The Rangers lost that incredibly close series, but it was probably the lone bright spot they had in the original-6 era. Raleigh scored 4-5-9 in 12 playoff games that post-season, and was also important in their first round upset of Montreal.

... I think it was about time for Bones.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'll add some Stanley Cup playoff experience to my team by taking LW Jim Riley and RW Pentti Lund.

I like Lund as a pick here, but I think there were better 1-2 seasons wonder left than him.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Stéphane Yelle and Bones Raleigh are two excellent selection. Raleigh is someone I know of only because I own his 1952 parkhurst card :)

-------------------------------

Doug Lidster - (Defense) An all-around offensive defenseman, Lidster was a great presence on the powerplay. He helped two teams, the New York Rangers in 1994 and the Dallas Stars in 1999, to win the Stanley Cup

Stanley Cup Winner (1994, 1999)

Gary Nylund - (Defense) The complete package when he entered the NHL, a knee injured relegated Nylund into an effective role player for 11 NHL season.

WHL First All-Star Team (1982)
Memorial Cup Tournament All-Star Team (1982)

----------------------------------------------

Todd Bertuzzi
22px-Flag_of_Canadasvg.png
- Clarence McKerrow
-
XXX - XXX - XXX
XXX - XXX - XXX
XXX - XXX - XXX

Weldy Young
- Gary Nylund

Doug Lidster
- XXX
XXX - XXX

Vladimir Myshkin
22px-Flag_of_Russiasvg.png

XXX
XXX

1939 or earlier
1940-1965
1966-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999
in 2009

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The Regina Pat Habs select G Richard Brodeur and Don Smith.

Brodeur, nicknamed King Richard, is of course best known for absolutely carrying the '82 Canucks to the finals. I didn't know about Smith, but here's what seventies has to say, and he'll probably elaborate further later.

He [Smith] was a rover from the 1908-1920 period. Scored 166 goals in 165 top-level games in Manitoba League, OPHL, NHA, PCHA, and NHL. For whatever reason, he has been forgotten. Career cut off by WW1. My recent goalscoring analysis (see HOH thread) has him as 1 top-5, 2 top-10, 4 top-15, 5 top-20.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Daytona selects

C Sergei Shepelev

1981 Canada Cup Champion
1981 Canada Cup All-Star
1984 Olympic Gold Medal
42 goals in 103 National Team Games

Hockey Adventure:
Sergei Shepelev was truly a “man of the moment” when he scored a hat trick in the most crushing Russian triumph ever over Canada.

Coming off a 28-goal season with Spartak Moscow, plus six tallies at the 1981 IIHF World Championships, Shepelev had suddenly emerged as one of the better Soviet forwards. Noted for his great skating and elaborate stickhandling, the Sverdlovsk-born center didn’t always adhere to Viktor Tikhonov’s system as rigorously as the national team head coach would have liked. Yet Shepelev, 25, formed a potent troika with Spartak teammates Victor Shalimov and Sergei Kapustin.

The final game was tied 1-1 midway through the second period when Shepelev picked up a loose puck with traffic in front of the Canadian net and backhanded it past goalie Mike Liut for the eventual game-winner. He finished off a power play set-up from Kapustin just over five minutes later, and dashed Canada’s comeback hopes with a goal 1:39 into the third period.

“He was incredible in the final game,” admitted Wayne Gretzky. “He beat guys to the outside on two goals.”

6564-1.gif

D Bruce Driver

img1.jpg

1995 Stanley Cup Champion

Legends of Hockey:
Not many sixth-round draft picks get to play over 900 games in the NHL, but Bruce Driver beat the odds and suited up for 922 regular season games over a 15-year professional career.
Although he was never a prolific point producer, he was an excellent setup man and worked well in both power-play and shorthanded situations.

127-1.gif
nyr-1.gif

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
After a calm Day 2 in which only a couple of Canaries depth chart considerations disappeared...

Day 3 summary: Nightmare in Spokane

The Pat Habs stole our number one option at 1st line LW (Don Smith) :bones:
The Killer Whales stole our number one option at 3rd line RW (Pat Flatley) :frank:
The Sharks stole our number two option at 2nd line RW (Serge Bernier) :ghost3:
The Pat Habs stole our number three option at starting goaltender (King Brodeur) :bat:

Lidster and Shepelev were on the depth chart. :dracula:

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
A few random thoughts while the wife gets ready to go out:

- I believe it's Blachford, not Blanchford. he was very high on my list. I really wanted to get him; unfortunately, I wanted at least six players more than him :( Outstanding top line glue guy for the AAA draft.

I believe you're right. I've come across both about 50/50 but it looks like it's inscribed Blachford on the Cup. I'll change it.

- Getlaf I'm not too sure of, and that's not necessarily a dig at him. With newer players like him, I find it a little tough to judge when he's at that point where he finally belongs. He's certainly not the only post-lockout player to be taken before, and he is not the worst either.

Meh, I figure he's better right now/past few seasons than most others have ever been in their careers and he has the credentials with a Cup while leading his team in scoring and being a Smythe worthy candidate, which I don't think many other post-1918 picks will have. Then he's also been very good in international play with 32 points in 21 games at the WJC/WC with 2 Golds and a Silver. He's also never finished the season as a minus player in either the NHL or juniors, and he brings great size up front at 6'4.

I think he makes a great 2nd line centre in this thing, especially when you consider he's had a lot of his success getting 2nd line minutes unlike most of the players who end up being 2nd line centres here but needed top line minutes during their careers to have success.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
VI - I'm just glad to hear that someone else knew about Smith and was actually going to take him.

Later on, I'm going to post the NHA career goalscoring leaders - it's a prestigious list that had long been picked clean... aside from Smith.

Brodeur was our favourite goalie for this draft, mainly due to his proven playoff success. at this level, you won't get much more playof success than that. I don't think there is any advantage among the top-5 netminders and our other favourites ara all available.

Aside from that cup run and decent NHL career, he was one of the best WHA goaltenders ever.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Old No 7 selects:

Billy Nicholson (G)

Nicholson was one of the game's top netminders in the early 1900s. He led a major professional league in GAA four times (1902-04, 1908). He was probably about on par with Bouse Hutton, who was selected in the MLD. If the Smythe trophy existed in 1902, Nicholson would likely have been the front-runner. The Montreal keeper allowed the Winnipegers just two goals in three games, and was described as the star (along with Dick Boon) in the deciding game. He was again strong when Montreal defended a challenge for the Cup early the next season.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Brodeur was our favourite goalie for this draft, mainly due to his proven playoff success. at this level, you won't get much more playof success than that. I don't think there is any advantage among the top-5 netminders and our other favourites ara all available.

Aside from that cup run and decent NHL career, he was one of the best WHA goaltenders ever.
He is 2nd in career wins in the WHA, won a championship there, and was tourney MVP in a Memorial Cup win. He also was the last remaining playing professional hockey player from the inaugural WHA season (indeed played too long, should've retired a couple of seasons before he did).

Myshkin, however, has clearly the best peak/playoffs of any goalie in this draft with three superb international tourneys against the best in the world.

VI - I'm just glad to hear that someone else knew about Smith and was actually going to take him.
I am still so sore that I decided to wait one more round before getting him.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I've got it from the Ultimate Hockey Book by the Weir brother.

Well, it could explain why he was in and out of hockey sporadically for a decade after 1908. Maybe he just couldn't stay in good enough shape to be effective once he was a little older?

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Mike Walton C
-Member of 2 Stanley Cup wining teams, scoring 19 points in 27 games.
-Led the WHA in goals in 1974 beating Bobby Hull by 4 goals and placed 7th in 1975.
-Finished 9th in goals (NHL) in 1968 with 30. Injuries held him back from having more 30 goal seasons.
-Scored 20 goals in 22 WHA playoff games

Triffy

Jun 23, 2006
Helsinki
I like Lund as a pick here, but I think there were better 1-2 seasons wonder left than him.

Thanks. I think Lund will fit in to my team perfectly.

I received no comments on Jim Riley. I hoped I would have. He stood out from the rest of the early western players I was looking at. Solid offensive numbers and a couple of all-star selections. What do you guys think of the pick? Was he on anyone else's radar at this point?

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
D - Gordie Roberts
gord4.jpg

Northstars Hockey said:
Gordie Roberts never seemed to lack two things: Experience and cool nerves. He played like he always wanted the puck. Just as it seemed like he was holding on to it too long in the face of on-coming forechecking, the veteran would somehow make a great pass or find some open ice.

A solid presence on our blueline. Will provide alot of playoff experience (153 playoff games) and solid all-around play for our blue line.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
And with our other pick, we will select a Hall of Fame left winger...

LW - Jimmy Gardner
P196205S.jpg

Legends of Hockey said:
Jimmy Gardner learned his hockey with another great player of that time, future Hockey Hall of Fame member Dickie Boon on the sidewalks and in an area known as Boon's lane. A star left winger, Gardner played on a total of four Stanley Cup-winning teams in Montreal, two with the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association's club dubbed the "Little Men of Iron" in 1902 and 1903, and two with the Montreal Wanderers in 1909 and 1910.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad