Line Combos: At what point will the lack of secondary scoring become a concern?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Vey was a good scorer in the AHL...looks at what happened to him
Guentzel was a good scorer in the AHL... looks at what happened to him

Mangiapane is already scoring at a higher rate than Vey ever did. There's no "one size" fits all rule for Junior scoring but for the most part guys who put up great numbers translate to the NHL a lot better than guys who don't.

It's not like I'm saying that he's great and we should trade away X to get rid of him I just don't see why we should expect him to bust when he's played great at lower levels and we've never seen him play for more than 4-5 preseason games.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Guentzel was a good scorer in the AHL... looks at what happened to him

Mangiapane is already scoring at a higher rate than Vey ever did. There's no "one size" fits all rule for Junior scoring but for the most part guys who put up great numbers translate to the NHL a lot better than guys who don't.

It's not like I'm saying that he's great and we should trade away X to get rid of him I just don't see why we should expect him to bust when he's played great at lower levels and we've never seen him play for more than 4-5 preseason games.

Nobody is saying Mangiapane is a bust. It's mainly wait and see what he can do in the NHL before saying he has a lot of value.

There have been a lot of great minor league scorers that cant make the NHL.

Also, you dont have to lie to make your point. Mangiapane is not yet a better scorer than Vey in the minor unless you decided 10 games is enough

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Nobody is saying Mangiapane is a bust. It's mainly wait and see what he can do in the NHL before saying he has a lot of value.

There have been a lot of great minor league scorers that cant make the NHL.

Also, you dont have to lie to make your point. Mangiapane is not yet a better scorer than Vey in the minor unless you decided 10 games is enough
In their first AHL season Mangiapanes points/game was higher. But yeah I meant the 10 games I don't think he'll keep up his pace but he doesn't have too to out produce Vey who only had one slightly above 1 point/game season ( in his 3rd year).

Mangiapane looks to be that typical junior/AHL scorer that will struggle in the NHL when the gaps get smaller and the guys are 6'2 200+ and still world class skaters. I guess it is possbile but there really isn't much reason to think he will be anything more than crap at the NHL level.

This is what I was replying too so I do think that someone was suggesting it's very likely he will bust and said the similar things about Fox and Kylington who were both skipped over in the subsequent responses.

Also no one said he had a lot of value this was after the same person claimed we had no help in the AHL. So Flameshomer pointed out that we currently have the AHLs leading scorer.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
So in pre-season people wanted Bennett centering Gaudreau on the 1st line and Monahan demoted to the 3rd line.

Now people are back on the "Bennett is a bust" train or want him scratched while Monahan has over 2/3's of our GWG's for the season and is the only guy over 3 goals through 13 games (currently at a 40+ goal pace) and yet Monahan still gets almost no credit.

k

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So in pre-season people wanted Bennett centering Gaudreau on the 1st line and Monahan demoted to the 3rd line.

Now people are back on the "Bennett is a bust" train or want him scratched while Monahan has over 2/3's of our GWG's for the season and is the only guy over 3 goals through 13 games (currently at a 40+ goal pace) and yet Monahan still gets almost no credit.

k

To be fair, only one guy thinks Bennett is better than Monahan

Most of the other people wanted Bennett to play with Gaudreau to see if he has what it takes and to shut up those who claim Bennett is no good because he plays with 4th liners. It's pretty obvious Bennett is no good period (at least not as good as what we expected from a high lottery pick)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

k

Credit for what? Scoring goals? Did I ever tell you Monahan doesn't score goals? Ever?

Bennett is a better center and I stand by that. Sorry if I'm looking at more aspects of the game than you. And yes Bennett is having a rough stretch. Evaluations made in small sample sizes are idiotic. On a grand scheme of things this team will elevate itself to greatness if Gaudreau and Monahan are split up with Bennett centering Gaudreau. Keep being satisfied with this incomplete product on the ice though where Ferland, who people claim shouldn't be on the top line, is driving play more than his center.

Monahan has been solid his season, but solid doesn't win cups. Dominant wins cups, and Gaudreau / Bennett as a pair tend to be dominant. Unless you think Bennett will continue shooting 0% all year. Lol.

Not to mention the irony that Monahan, being more of a pure goal scorer, would actually give us three lines of scoring if he were split up from Gaudreau, as he is not lacking confidence whereas Bennett is playing frustated as his linemates other than Jankowski have done him no favours.

At the end of the day if you are a fan of the Flames you have to be open to things that should make the team better. It's not about sone guy hitting 40 or 50 goals (which Mony can in fact do). Gaudreau and Bennett not only produce together every year, but they do it in a more versatile manner - cycle, rush, forecheck... and Bennett has historically helped Gaudreau be more of a goal scoring threat by finding him through traffic or headmanning him up the ice with his vision. I honestly don't think our PP has been remotely good either the way it is set up but I am sure Monahan will score some PP goals on some weak defensive competition in the next few games makig everyone forget how they look 70% of the time.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
LOL

"Evaluations made on a small sample size are idiotic"

Followed by:

"Bennett and Gaudreau tend to be dominant"

And no a Gaudreau-Bennett pairing doesn't come close to taking us to greatness.

Adding Crosby or McDavid to this team doesn't take us to greatness so a simple line switch sure as hell won't.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe they should split Monahan and Gaudreau to spread the offense

But Bennett is not the answer. He is not smart enough to generate any offense and doesnt seem like he can finish neither.

Monny's goal scoring is gifted. Dont assume anybody can do it.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
"Looking at more aspects of the game than [me]." Just lol

Monahan is better in the dot, better defensively, better at distributing the puck (he actually gets the puck to his teammates and not off the other teams skates), better vision, better positioning, better in the corners and along the boards. What am I missing here?

Please post examples of footage showing where Bennett is better than Monahan at anything. And it's not like you're talking to a Bennett hater here, I am one of his biggest defenders, but I am not ignorant to him either, he has never shown he is better than Monahan other than a couple games here and there. And if you want to point to last years playoffs where Bennett was really good, Monahan was equally as dominant, carrying Johnny and Ferland around, the two of which looked like CHL'ers that series.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
For the record, Gaudreau and Monahan should absolutely be split up. Both are capable of creating offense on their own and given how anemic the team is at that right now, spreading the wealth is necessary. However it'd also require breaking up the 3M line and that seems to be beyond Gulutzan.

Tkachuk-Monahan-Jagr
Gaudreau-Jankowski/Backlund-Ferland
Bennett-Backlund/Jankowski-Frolik
Stajan-Lazar-Brouwer

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
For the record, Gaudreau and Monahan should absolutely be split up. Both are capable of creating offense on their own and given how anemic the team is at that right now, spreading the wealth is necessary. However it'd also require breaking up the 3M line and that seems to be beyond Gulutzan.

:huh:

No it wouldn't.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Splitting up the 3M line right now doesn't make much sense because Frolik and Backlund are barely producing as it is. Frolik has 1 goal on the year, which he scored playing with Gaudreau and Monahan, and Backlund outside of scoring in Anaheim early in the year has only scored in 2 other games. Tkachuk is the only one who has consistently been putting up points.

No one on the team is scoring right now except Monahan and Gaudreau, if you split them up you risk having no lines who are scoring. I do think Monahan plays better away from Gaudreau though, plays with the puck more rather than just giving it to Gaudreau and letting him do everything.

The team really needs a breakout game soon because this is getting ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad