WJC: At what point does TSN pause/pull out of their broadcasting contract with Hockey Canada and the world juniors?

Should TSN not broadcast world juniors?

• Yes

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • No

Votes: 84 80.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This may not be a popular stance, and while I think it’s definitely important to shine a light on crimes and corruption, Rick westhead has ulterior motives here, his intention is to slowly dismantle hockey in Canada. The whole point is that hockey has long been dominated by white men who have unearned privilege and feel untouchable, and he despises that. While in the process he will unearth stories like this that are shortens, he’s also going to take hockey down as a sport. It won’t be able to survive when every parent feels immense guilt and shame enrolling their child in hockey, because Rick and his followers will ensure they never forget they’re supporting an oppressive sport. Get ready for the WJC every singe year to be threatened with stories like this, allegations from vague sources and rumours. Eventually tsn will bow to the pressure from the mob and they won’t cover it.

Yeah I’ve met Gord a couple of times and while he was alright with me, he was visibly rude to many others I watched him interact with. Very big ego
I hope you're wrong about Hockey Canada.

Why do you feel Rick Westhead has ulterior motives?

Re : "Yeah I’ve met Gord a couple of times and while he was alright with me, he was visibly rude to many others I watched him interact with. Very big ego"

Yup.

Yeah I have had a similar experience. Even my friends who follow and love hockey barely know about this or have only read 1-2 tweets and moved on with their day. You get a lot of shrugs about this. I was at a backyard bbq and I even mentioned this story to all the wives and most are hockey moms or fans themselves and they just said something along the lines of “oh yeah, thought I heard something about that, seems crazy”. That’s it, nobody is losing sleep over this. The burn it to the ground folks aren’t the people who would sit down to watch the WJC or U18’s anyways, I’d reckon most don’t even support or enjoy hockey.
The war in the Ukraine only stayed on the news for a month or two. Now, no one cares.

This too shall pass.

Many of the people who want the whole thing torn down are UNHAPPY people - and feel everything in life should be torn down - they're just mad about life in general. Too bad for them.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I ha
No, I am not saying that. I agree there are problems within HC and the sport itself, and Rick westhead is doing a good job with that. But the overall goal of his reporting is to destroy the game of hockey as canadas number 1 sport, upend it as respectable sport to enroll your kids in.
I have to ask... Has he said this? Or is this your opinion?

I don't know the man and have no opinion on him tbh.. just curious if this is a known fact?

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I hope you're wrong about Hockey Canada.

Why do you feel Rick Westhead has ulterior motives?

Re : "Yeah I’ve met Gord a couple of times and while he was alright with me, he was visibly rude to many others I watched him interact with. Very big ego"

Yup.

The war in the Ukraine only stayed on the news for a month or two. Now, no one cares.

This too shall pass.

Many of the people who want the whole thing torn down are UNHAPPY people - and feel everything in life should be torn down - they're just mad about life in general. Too bad for them.
Very well said, if a war in Ukraine that dominated the news for weeks is now pretty much receded from view, so will this. It’s true the most vocally unhappy ones are generally unhappy in all aspects of their lives and one peak of their Twitter feeds shows that everything they encounter is an outrage. It’s telling when people claim to want to tear it all down yet never offer up a realistic solution to the issue. Or go right back to talking about their favourite nhl team while minutes before railing against hockey culture.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I ha

I have to ask... Has he said this? Or is this your opinion?

I don't know the man and have no opinion on him tbh.. just curious if this is a known fact?
It’s just my opinion, and I admit I could be wildly off base. But it’s what I see, and maybe it’s not his main goal, but he is fed by the blood thirsty mob that truly do despise hockey. Look at some comments on any tweet he puts out about how hockey needs to take a back seat in Canada, how we should ban HC from future events until some unforeseen date. Look how willingly he and his followers embrace Dan Carcillo, arguably the worst human being to ever get involved in hockey, all because he’s openly stated his contempt for hockey and it’s culture. Yet Logan Mailloux is treated like he’s Ted Bundy. It’s because the ideology behind it all is to tear hockey apart at the seems, and while I agree corruption and sexual assault has zero place in the sport, it’s an unrealistic goal to think you can eliminate it going forward. Take measures to reduce it 100%. But it’s the human condition, it can’t be altered or prevented. I know some will write this off as a crock of crap, and I’m not saying I’m right about it all either. But it’s a growing trend I’ve noticed. Let’s not forget Dan Carcillo used to spit on his teammates and urinate all over them, beat them up in the dressing room and at parties, physically harm these kids, but because he has claimed he was also a victim of the culture, it’s all okay.

Reactions: Czechboy

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Some streaming service will take care of business, so TSN can boycott to protect their public image if they want.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
A lot of people think that this was a ridiculous question to ask. Personally, I think they should go ahead as planned but the OP might be reading the same smoke signals I am. We’re a week and a half out from the tournament and TSN should be doing wall-to-wall coverage of this thing by now. Remember all the talk we get every year about how this tourney is soooo overhyped? TSN is giving us radio silence at the moment.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
TSN has already paid the money for it. They aren't pulling out of the tournament. When is ESPN pulling out of the NFL after domestic abuse or another drunk player runs over a soccer mom? It is a silly conversation.

I don’t see that as a fair comparison. The attention has shifted to systemic failures that occurred under Hockey Canada as an organization rather than the actions of individuals. There is also less on the line for a two week tournament than there is for the NFL, the scale of lost revenue isn’t even in the same universe.

I think it's more on the table than people realize. The biggest issue is that TSN is the sole broadcaster of the event, and other countries simulcast their production.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A lot of people think that this was a ridiculous question to ask. Personally, I think they should go ahead as planned but the OP might be reading the same smoke signals I am. We’re a week and a half out from the tournament and TSN should be doing wall-to-wall coverage of this thing by now. Remember all the talk we get every year about how this tourney is soooo overhyped? TSN is giving us radio silence at the moment.
They are not publicizing the tournament in order to avoid the ugliness that would follow - "haters" would use it as an excuse to scream / cry, "How dare they publicize the tournament after what happened !!!!"

Simply put : It is too late to cancel. This isn't just about Canada. 9 other countries have worked too hard and spent too much money to be here and cancelling would hurt them and be a horrible P.R. nightmare.

I don’t see that as a fair comparison. The attention has shifted to systemic failures that occurred under Hockey Canada as an organization rather than the actions of individuals. There is also less on the line for a two week tournament than there is for the NFL, the scale of lost revenue isn’t even in the same universe.

I think it's more on the table than people realize. The biggest issue is that TSN is the sole broadcaster of the event, and other countries simulcast their production.
I think @TheBeastCoast made a fair comparison.

If posters don't want to watch, don't watch. Unfortunately, too many posters don't want others to watch. This whole thing has a childish twitter-esk feel to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
TSN has already paid the money for it. They aren't pulling out of the tournament. When is ESPN pulling out of the NFL after domestic abuse or another drunk player runs over a soccer mom? It is a silly conversation.
There are posters (not referring to anyone in particular) who are just angry people and want the tournament cancelled. It didn't have to be sexual abuse. It could be anything (racial, financial, etc) and they'd want to take the ball / puck and go home. These people are NOT happy and they think, "If I'm not happy in life , no one should be happy."

Again, if someone does not want to watch, please don't. Let the rest of us enjoy the tournament - it's been a long time coming.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I don't think the amount of lost revenue being in another universe is the best excuse for any poo pooing of the NFL's scandals.

and some of their scandals have indeed been systemic I.E: concussion/brain damage scandal.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
There are a bunch of NO NAME sports writers who are trying to make a name for themselves - who the hell is Scott Billeck?

Look at Damian Cox. He's an unemployed writer (and I use the term "writer" loosely) and he's trying to be noticed / relevant by jumping on the bandwagon.

In 10(?) days, the tournament will play. In a month or two, people will have forgotten about the whole Hockey Canada mess - just ask the Ukraine.

Most of the sponsors have already pulled out though.
I am sure TSN will find replacement sponsors.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
There are a bunch of NO NAME sports writers who are trying to make a name for themselves - who the hell is Scott Billeck?

Look at Damian Cox. He's an unemployed writer (and I use the term "writer" loosely) and he's trying to be noticed by jumping on the bandwagon.

In 10(?) days, the tournament will play. In a month, people will have forgotten about the whole mess - just ask the Ukraine.

I am sure TSN will find replacement sponsors.
I don't think people are going to forget but it's going to get played, they can hardly put all the teams through all that preparation another time to only yet again have it cancelled.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

It's a very fair comparison. What we have heard regarding Hockey Canada pales in comparison to what comes up with NFL players over a given year, but there is a numbness to that when it comes to the NFL. The only difference is that the NFL's sponsors don't (yet) pull out in large numbers when whatever scandal erupts at the time.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't think people are going to forget but it's going to get played, they can hardly put all the teams through all that preparation another time to only yet again have it cancelled.
95% of people in Canada don't know about the scandal - or they have a cursory knowledge of what happened. Nothing more. Of the people who know, most will move on.

Like I mentioned, Russia invaded the Ukraine and they've killed tens of thousands of people. 6 months after the invasion started, it's barely in the news.

This too shall pass.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
95% of people in Canada don't know about the scandal - or they have a cursory knowledge of what happened. Nothing more. Of the people who know, most will move on.

Like I mentioned, Russia invaded the Ukraine and they've killed tens of thousands of people. 6 months after the invasion started, it's barely in the news.

This too shall pass.
95% with this being all over the news every night? I doubt it.

but yes, it will pass, everything eventually does.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
95% with this being all over the news every night? I doubt it.

but yes, it will pass, everything eventually does.
Maybe 95% is a little high but of all the people I have mentioned it to (non hockey pucks), the vast majority knew nothing about it. Many didn't want to hear about it - they found it off putting.

Most people are so worried about paying their bills / feeding their family / making their boss happy, the last thing they worry about is a Hockey Canada scandal.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Maybe 95% is a little high but of all the people I have mentioned it to (non hockey pucks), the vast majority knew nothing about it. Many didn't want to hear about it - they found it off putting.

Most people are so worried about paying their bills / feeding their family / making their boss happy, the last thing they worry about is a Hockey Canada scandal.
This part I don't doubt.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Next time you are out with (non hockey puck) friends, JJ, ask people what they think about the "Hockey Canada scandal". I promise you will get a bunch of blank stares.
All due respect but I think I will pass on this as a conversation starter at the next company BBQ.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

This too shall pass.
The Ukraine is NOT barely news. It is still all over news channels.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Being from Winnipeg, I'm sorry about Scott Bilek. This is the same guy who got in to it with Hellebuyck over vaccinations because bilek brought up helles young son. Dude is an A double S

The Ukraine is NOT barely news. It is still all over news channels.

Most ppl don't give a crap tho anymore. Ppl put up flags on their windows and then that's it.

Reactions: Fixxer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad