WJC: At what point does TSN pause/pull out of their broadcasting contract with Hockey Canada and the world juniors?

Should TSN not broadcast world juniors?

• Yes

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • No

Votes: 84 80.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Probably but that will be quite difficult to prove with this much time between then and now. We also don’t really know much details regarding that case. If we start going down the road of firing or cancelling every person who was aware to a degree then a lot of people will be implicated. By this logic then even someone like Gord Miller whose been involved intimately with hockey Canada and more than likely would have gotten wind of something like this should also be fired. I’ve been to many WJC, met Gord Miller and many like him in the media are very cozy with the top brass of Hockey Canada. No chance all those media members wouldn’t have heard something either. But I don’t think we can start firing people for just knowing or hearing stories, because there are so many degrees to that and it’s very hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt
Next time you go to a World Juniors, ask the people who work with Gord Miller what they think of him - not the big shots, but the average TSN worker.

I have and I heard he was not the easiest person to work with.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Agreed, it would be a real stupid decision imo. It wouldn’t do anything to improve the culture within Hockey Canada or the sport itself, hurts the fans and the current players of all countries who can use the exposure to springboard their career, and 99.9% of them aren’t guilty of anything. We really need to resist this overly reactionary approach to this.
Thank God, Justin is on the case...

Of course, Justin used Canadian tax dollars to make his sexual assault allegations go away - feminist groups remained quiet about Justin's sexual assault when he helped them financially.

But I assure you, the CBC and Toronto Star will not even consider mentioning / asking about it - Justin keeps both afloat with our tax dollars.

Last edited:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Next time you go to a World Juniors, ask the people who work with Gord Miller what they think of him - not the big shots, but the average TSN worker.

I have and what I heard was not "pleasant".
Interesting. I hadn't heard that before although i have no real knowledge of Gord other than what i see and hear on TV.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Interesting. I hadn't heard that before although i have no real knowledge of Gord other than what i see and hear on TV.
It was obviously a subjective take.

The person did say Pierre McGuire was the nicest / kindest person she ever worked with at TSN - this was years ago. She said McGuire went out of his way to make even the lowest person on the totem pole feel important / welcome.

She also said she hated working the World Juniors - it ruined her Christmas and, to her, it was work, work, work.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanniniClaus

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The question is, which advertisers will stay on?

Canadians have short memories anyways and we are always excited at the prospect of winning at something. We haven't seen a Cup won by a Canadian team in 30 years so outside of the Olympics, this is what we have.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The question is, which advertisers will stay on?

Canadians have short memories anyways and we are always excited at the prospect of winning at something. We haven't seen a Cup won by a Canadian team in 30 years so outside of the Olympics, this is what we have.
Most people do NOT know about the scandal - or, if they do know, it's in passing and they don't know any details.

I mentioned it to a group of friends, recently, and not one knew about it - although, I don't hang around a lot of "hockey pucks".

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
We are about to have hundreds of kids, coaches and parents, flying in from all over the world - at great expense. If they were going to cancel it, it would have been done by now.

Plus, as others have said, if the Canadian kids go out and play wonderful hockey, it puts a positive spin on Hockey Canada and TSN, the IIHF and Hockey Canada will reap the financial benefit as the advertisers come crawling back.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Most people do NOT know about the scandal - or, if they do know, it's in passing and they don't know any details.

I mentioned it to a group of friends, recently, and not one knew about it - although, I don't hang around a lot of "hockey pucks".

If I were an advertiser I wouldn't touch the WJC with a 10 foot pole. I would at least take a year off in a form of protest.

This goes beyond just the sport and advertisers though, this is an indictment on Canadian institutions at a time that trust from Canadians in them is at an all time low.

Just "another day, another scandal" is how many Canadians will view this. Eventually what will remain sacred?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If I were an advertiser I wouldn't touch the WJC with a 10 foot pole. I would at least take a year off in a form of protest.

This goes beyond just the sport and advertisers though, this is an indictment on Canadian institutions at a time that trust from Canadians in them is at an all time low.

Just "another day, another scandal" is how many Canadians will view this. Eventually what will remain sacred?
^ That's a fair take. ^

But, as many have said (myself included), "There is no point in punishing the kids of 2003/2004/2005 for what a handful of dirt bags did years ago, so let the kids play".

Re : "If I were an advertiser I wouldn't touch the WJC with a 10 foot pole. I would at least take a year off in a form of protest."

I doubt they'll have a hard time finding advertisers - a couple million young viewers, 98% of whom have no knowledge of the scandal, is hard to pass up.

Last edited:

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Meanwhile, those calling for the WJC to be cancelled or TSN not to broadcast them are completely ignoring the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, in which Hockey Canada plays a bigger role.

Reactions: wetcoast

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Meanwhile, those calling for the WJC to be cancelled or TSN not to broadcast them are completely ignoring the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, in which Hockey Canada plays a bigger role.
True.

Here's a challenge for everyone :

Next time you are out with a group of friends, ask how many know about the scandal.

My guess : You will be shocked at how few do.

Reactions: Leviathan899

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Anyway, boys...

I have posted too much so I am going to watch tonight's episode of Better Call Saul (BEST show on TV) and call it a night.

Here's hoping we have hockey in 2 weeks.

Reactions: snipes and jj cale

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Why should we “cancel” hockey as a whole just because of what 8 guys did? If it comes out that what happened is true let the authorities treat those guilty just as they would treat one of us. No need to ruin it for everybody. Wording of the poll also isn’t the greatest.

It's not 8 assholes and one incident It's a culture problem. And a quiet hush fund (funded by Canadian parents who had no idea) with 12 payouts (to 8 people). I don't think the tourney should be cancelled but to act like this is a one off is not accurate either. Guaranteed more stories to come.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

It's not 8 assholes and one incident It's a culture problem. And a quiet hush fund (funded by Canadian parents who had no idea) with 12 payouts (to 8 people). I don't think the tourney should be cancelled but to act like this is a one off is not accurate either. Guaranteed more stories to come.

I think we are past the point of cancelling - it wouldn't be fair to the other countries.

I am looking forward to something positive in the form of quality junior hockey because most of the kids are great and they don't deserved to be tarred with the same brush.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think we are past the point of cancelling - it wouldn't be fair to the other countries.

I am looking forward to something positive in the form of quality junior hockey because most of the kids are great and they don't deserved to be tarred with the same brush.
I just wanted to point out this is not one incident and an isolated case. 12 buyouts is ridiculously high. And that's what we know.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I just wanted to point out this is not one incident and an isolated case. 12 buyouts is ridiculously high. And that's what we know.
Fair enough and I didn't mean any disrespect with what I wrote - my bad if it came across that way.

B14

Jan 24, 2013

Agreed, as much as what's happening with Hockey Canada and its botched handling of this whole situation, I don't think taking it out on these kids who are representing their countries, not necessarily their respective "sports governing" bodies or organizations is the right move to make.

Plus, as was previously mentioned, TSN will not back out of any event they've already agreed to broadcast, much less the WJC, which is as big of a revenue generator as it gets.

I would like to see some of that revenue from the tournament get funnelled into victims support organizations/sexual assault victims groups, if at all possible.

I also take note of the fact that there are plenty of great kids and people in general in hockey and sports in general that just want to play and avoid the bullcrap that goes on.

I've been familiarized with plenty of junior kids as my family has billeted for Major Junior (OHL) and Junior A (OJHL) teams. There are some that are decent people with good families and some that are self-entitled idiots, but you will get that anywhere.

I realize not everyone will share these opinions, but this is what I believe.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
This may not be a popular stance, and while I think it’s definitely important to shine a light on crimes and corruption, Rick westhead has ulterior motives here, his intention is to slowly dismantle hockey in Canada. The whole point is that hockey has long been dominated by white men who have unearned privilege and feel untouchable, and he despises that. While in the process he will unearth stories like this that are shortens, he’s also going to take hockey down as a sport. It won’t be able to survive when every parent feels immense guilt and shame enrolling their child in hockey, because Rick and his followers will ensure they never forget they’re supporting an oppressive sport. Get ready for the WJC every singe year to be threatened with stories like this, allegations from vague sources and rumours. Eventually tsn will bow to the pressure from the mob and they won’t cover it.

I have and I heard he was not the easiest person to work with.
Yeah I’ve met Gord a couple of times and while he was alright with me, he was visibly rude to many others I watched him interact with. Very big ego

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

Yeah I have had a similar experience. Even my friends who follow and love hockey barely know about this or have only read 1-2 tweets and moved on with their day. You get a lot of shrugs about this. I was at a backyard bbq and I even mentioned this story to all the wives and most are hockey moms or fans themselves and they just said something along the lines of “oh yeah, thought I heard something about that, seems crazy”. That’s it, nobody is losing sleep over this. The burn it to the ground folks aren’t the people who would sit down to watch the WJC or U18’s anyways, I’d reckon most don’t even support or enjoy hockey.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Those would still be isolated incidents. Look at how many people are registered hockey players and coaches there are in Canada. Ya it’s not good to even have 1 payout, but it doesn’t mean it’s a systemic issue. It’s a societal issue and this is occurring right now in every other industry or sport. Every year there are hundreds of teachers who are charged with SA, but we don’t see people claiming it’s an education culture issue. It’s human beings being shitty. You can’t change it or end this, human beings will always engage in morally abhorrent behaviour. You could replace the entire board of directors with women and it wouldn’t deter some random junior hockey player in Flin Flon from sexually assaulting a drunk girl at a party. It’s all a pipe dream. Educate the kids, ensure parents are instilling quality morals into their kids, that’s all you can do. This investigation won’t do anything from preventing future SA.

Reactions: wetcoast

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This may not be a popular stance, and while I think it’s definitely important to shine a light on crimes and corruption, Rick westhead has ulterior motives here, his intention is to slowly dismantle hockey in Canada. The whole point is that hockey has long been dominated by white men who have unearned privilege and feel untouchable, and he despises that. While in the process he will unearth stories like this that are shortens, he’s also going to take hockey down as a sport. It won’t be able to survive when every parent feels immense guilt and shame enrolling their child in hockey, because Rick and his followers will ensure they never forget they’re supporting an oppressive sport. Get ready for the WJC every singe year to be threatened with stories like this, allegations from vague sources and rumours. Eventually tsn will bow to the pressure from the mob and they won’t cover it.

Yeah I’ve met Gord a couple of times and while he was alright with me, he was visibly rude to many others I watched him interact with. Very big ego
From your replies here my takeaway is that Rick westhead is the problem and that hockey Canada doesn't have a major culture issue. Am I reading it wrong?

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
From your replies here my takeaway is that Rick westhead is the problem and that hockey Canada doesn't have a major culture issue. Am I reading it wrong?
No, I am not saying that. I agree there are problems within HC and the sport itself, and Rick westhead is doing a good job with that. But the overall goal of his reporting is to destroy the game of hockey as canadas number 1 sport, upend it as respectable sport to enroll your kids in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad