Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
That's fine and dandy...except that it's not true.

2017 NHL Draft Rankings

That shows 12 different rankings, prior to the 2017 draft.

Vilardi had a high of 3rd, a low of 7th, and an average of 5.17 across the dozen rankings.
Rasmussen had a high of 9th, a low of 23rd, and an average of 15.33 across the dozen rankings.

Now obviously, you're free to prefer some rankings over others. And rankings aren't ultimately what determine a player's career. But please stop pretending that the pros had Vilardi and Rasmussen as a coin flip, or that most pros had Ras at #9, because every single one of those rankings had Vilardi ranked higher, and on average, he was ranked 10 picks higher. (For reference, Necas had a high of 7th, a low of 20th, and an average of 11.42 across the dozen rankings.)

Rasmussen was as high as 3rd. Same as Vilardi. Also The Hockey Writers has Vilardi; Offence – 8/10, Defence – 7/10. Rasmussen; Offence – 7.5/10, Defence – 7/10

Very close with RAS being the bigger body and better skater. Vilardi having the better stick handling in tight and passing. Though Rasmussen is an underrated passer. I think you bet on the better hockey skater with your 1st pick when it comes this close.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Rasmussen was as high as 3rd. Same as Vilardi. Also The Hockey Writers has Vilardi; Offence – 8/10, Defence – 7/10. Rasmussen; Offence – 7.5/10, Defence – 7/10

Very close with RAS being the bigger body and better skater. Vilardi having the better stick handling in tight and passing. Though Rasmussen is an underrated passer. I think you bet on the better hockey skater with your 1st pick when it comes this close.
You linked a McKeen ranking from February. Which changed to 10th by draft time, and it's included in the dozen I mentioned. If we're going the September Heisman route, then Liljgren should've been a top 5 pick.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You linked a McKeen ranking from February.

Yup.

Which changed to 10th by draft time

Yup.

If we're going the September [...]

So what you're saying is young propsects aren't static? Draft is in April and prospects moved up and down the rankings. Wonder how the rankings would have moved now since RAS is scoring at a 3 point per game in the playoffs? Who knows what a re-draft thread will look like in 5 years... but you may be surprised.

You're trying to say Vilardi is head-and-shoulders better than RAS because he was ranked higher in a link you posted. RAS was ranked #9 by who I consider the most credible source, and that's exactly where he was drafted. I think the fact both players were considered top 10 picks, that 's proof they are both about equal in terms of value - to whoever drafts them. While our team valued RAS higher than KINGS, we don't know who KINGS would have taken if Vilardi and RAS both were still available, even though KINGS really boast about Vilardi to the media and talk about how happy and lucky they feel since Vil fell to them. But we really don't know if they would have taken RAS over him. Fact is RAS was taken before Vilardi.

If Vilardi was Detroit's prospect, I'd be on here posting how happy I am to have him and how I hope he proves better than RAS and Necas. Since DRWs have RAS, and the fact he was taken exactly where the experts predicted, and the fact that Detroit took him over Vilardi makes me think he'll be the more important player to build around, even though I am sure Vilardi will also be a fine player in his own right. I'm happy to have Rasmussen.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Getzlaf d+1 : 81 points in 56 games = 1.45PPG
Rasmussen : 85 points in 57 games = 1.49PPG

You linked a McKeen ranking from February. Which changed to 10th by draft time, and it's included in the dozen I mentioned. If we're going the September Heisman route, then Liljgren should've been a top 5 pick.
Ras didn’t play from february so that obviously impacted rankings. Injured players usually drop a bit in rankings, not necessarily reflective of their ability.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Ras didn’t play from february so that obviously impacted rankings. Injured players usually drop a bit in rankings, not necessarily reflective of their ability.
If you think he's going to become the next Getzlaf, more power to you. I just don't see it.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
It’s just a comparable, big centerman out of the WHL in a similar range of the draft (according to among others you Ras should have gone around 15-25).

worth noting that Getzlaf was 1: a higher percentage of his teams offense and 2: played in a lower scoring era though,those though combined make a pretty big difference

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
worth noting that Getzlaf was 1: a higher percentage of his teams offense and 2: played in a lower scoring era though,those though combined make a pretty big difference

Getzlaf is a dream upside

Has anyone had even rge slightest incli acion Getzlaf would become what he has, he would have been drafted much much higher.

I am gonna hold out hope that big centres just take a bit more time to fully come into their own,

Reactions: ealong59

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If you think he's going to become the next Getzlaf, more power to you. I just don't see it.

I don't think he's the next Getzlaf either. I think RAS isn't the central piece to the puzzle in our rebuild, but I think he may prove to be a very important piece to the puzzle of building another playoff nu:dynasty. I think the type of goals he scores is the type of BEAST/WEAPON you need to be a successful dominating playoff team. But you also need the Claude Giroux's (22nd overall) of the world to help play off on his special talent. Heck maybe even Gus Nyquist is the player he needs to help him dominate.

But Getzlaf he is not. Maybe next year we can get our "Getzlaf". This year lets get our "Drew Doughty" or "Alex Pietrangelo".

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Getzlaf was #1 in points per game.
Rasmussen was 24th.

Reactions: Catbug

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Please explain why anyone should care about your opinion on prospect development?

This is an opinion based website.... We are here to discuss them.

I would think you would want people to listen to your opinions and discuss them.

Board please try to be civil with each other, we are right at a line that I really don't want to see people cross.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Getzlaf was #1 in points per game.
Rasmussen was 24th.
Getzlaf was 19th in PPG in playoffs, Rasmussen is #1 (well except some dude that played 1 game).

Higher scoring era is fair, % of team’s offense isn’t a huge difference and you’d have to calculate for only the games they played to get an accurate number to boot. Anyway Getzlaf upside is little more than a dream, it’s just a neat comparison. Look at Getzlaf’s d+2 and Ras probably looks better even with adjustments for league scoring.

Last edited:

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Please explain why anyone should care about your opinion on prospect development?
Please explain why you have any right to question any ones opinion on any thing? You disagree with his opinion so yours is right? News flash just because you don't like it does not mean you are right about anything!!!!

Reactions: Max Simon

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
You know a 3 week hot streak can greatly impact season totals, right? And like I’ve mentioned before Ras has points in 17 consecutive games now so it’s closing in on a 2 month streak.

The length some Red Wings "fans" will go to discredit their team's own prospects is amazing. You're doing God's work.

"Sample size!"

"He's playing Wing!"

"...Vilardi!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad