Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I'm underscoring the difference between the two; worst case scenario, our 9th overall pick is something resembling Brian Boyle, best case scenario, we have a beast of a winger that plays phenomenally around the crease.

A beast of winger that has played most of his career at center, is defensively sound, and has a great face off % at every age group so far.

Also worth pointing out that in his draft + 1 year Brian Boyle had 8 points in 30+ games (albeit at college).

Not masking assumptions about Ras's future...just commenting that the comparisons are a little simplistic.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I really doubt he becomes better than Simmonds, frankly. Simmonds is one of the best power play players in the league with several seasons hovering around the 30 goal margin. But, if he does, then that's obviously a blessing.

We need Rasmussen to be a real player, frankly.

A lot will be determined by how he does in pre-season I suspect. Worth pointing out though that his junior career is far more impressive that Simmonds' ever was.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
So excited for the influx of young talent in the next couple of years.

Sure we might not have the next big superstar (Dahlin plz) but I really believe in this crop of prospects more so than the past. Particularly Rasmussen and Cholowski.

This upcoming draft could really be a franchise changer if we can surround these kids with some elite talent.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
A lot will be determined by how he does in pre-season I suspect. Worth pointing out though that his junior career is far more impressive that Simmonds' ever was.
I don’t even understand the comparison. Are we just throwing random names out there? I doubt Vilardi becomes better than Nino Niederreiter.

Reactions: newfy

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I really don't see Rasmussen developing into an NHL top 6 center. However, a top 6 winger? I think there's plausibility there.
Best case scenario he's absolutely a center.

Not to harp on you about it, it's just semantics at that point. "Best case scenario the highest center we've drafted in 30 years is a winger."

If you see him as a winger fine, that's not bcs

Reactions: njx9

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I really don't see Rasmussen developing into an NHL top 6 center. However, a top 6 winger? I think there's plausibility there.

Not even 2nd line player huh?
10 months after he was drafted...

I mean any opinion could be correct, but I would simply say that is a rather pessimistic view. I would hope all our fans hope you are wrong.

Reactions: Ulysses31

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I absolutely see him developing into a top 6 center.

See, isn't this fun?
The fun part is allowing disagreements while remaining civil. You can think Ras could/will be a great player. I can think differently. And that's ok.

19854.png

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Worse record and less recent success than the Blackhawks, less ratings drop.

TAKE THAT CHICAGO!

Where's The Toews Era been to tell us how easy making the playoffs is?

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Best second line in the NHL or middle of the pack first line...

I agree great 2nd line, good 1st line, but that's a 9th overall and two mid to late round picks. The guys after that will be the big pieces. People expect us already to be through the rebuild. The guys we already are drafted are more then complementary players but not franchise players. Ras could be a tank in front of the net. And a stud 2nd line center, but it's only year 2 of really rebuilding

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I agree great 2nd line, good 1st line, but that's a 9th overall and two mid to late round picks. The guys after that will be the big pieces. People expect us already to be through the rebuild. The guys we already are drafted are more then complementary players but not franchise players. Ras could be a tank in front of the net. And a stud 2nd line center, but it's only year 2 of really rebuilding

Err, Larkin is arguably top 5 in his draft year. Maybe just outside, but the draft is shaping up pretty well.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Err, Larkin is arguably top 5 in his draft year. Maybe just outside, but the draft is shaping up pretty well.

Top 10 actually. The top 3 are clearly better than him, then there is Nylander, Elhers and Pastrňák that I have ahead of him. Sam Bennett is a huge question mark if he will get it together and Brayden Point has put up similar numbers as Larkin. Add to that a couple D-men could likely rise because they take longer to develop Larkin could be anywhere from 6th best all the way to 11th/12th best in his draft year.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Top 10 actually. The top 3 are clearly better than him, then there is Nylande, Elhers and Pastrňák that I have ahead of him.

Ekblad and Drai are better, obviously. I'd actually put Pasta in the obvious column too.

I'd take Larkin over Reinhart quite easily. Larkin vs. Nylander and Larkin vs. Point is where it gets interesting.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Ekblad and Drai are better, obviously. I'd actually put Pasta in the obvious column too.

I'd take Larkin over Reinhart quite easily. Larkin vs. Nylander and Larkin vs. Point is where it gets interesting.

Reinhart and Larkin are identical statistically, except Larkin has a better assists per game and Reinhart has a better goal per game. I think Reinhart has a much higher ceiling though.

But when it comes down to it, without knowing where the D-men land, its going to be hard to accurately say where he lands in the draft. Right now I would have him ~6-7th which is pretty good. And still a steal at 15 even if a few D-men creep into the top 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad