Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Called it. This guy has winger written all over him.
You didnt call anything. The wings wanted him to play wing for the last 20 games or so to get him ready to play wing next year next to Larkin or Zetterberg. Learn from those guys and stick to center the following seasons. 20 games this season doesnt negate his whole career to this point or what management has outright said their plan is for him

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Pile on Shaman for a bit of brashness there, but I think the concern that Rasmussen is going to be a mid6 center (maybe a lesser Jordan Staal would be a good comp?) or a higher end top6 wing has merit. I love that the guy has upped his game in the playoffs and his season in general has been encouraging, but he's going to have these sort of doubts until he transitions his game to the NHL and shows he is a first or second line center.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pile on Shaman for a bit of brashness there, but I think the concern that Rasmussen is going to be a mid6 center (maybe a lesser Jordan Staal would be a good comp?) or a higher end top6 wing has merit. I love that the guy has upped his game in the playoffs and his season in general has been encouraging, but he's going to have these sort of doubts until he transitions his game to the NHL and shows he is a first or second line center.

That sounds very unappealing! A lesser version of just an ok player!

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
What a confusing article. Rasmussen is playing wing! And that's good. But don't forget that Rasmussen is a center. But him playing wing is good because he's going to play wing in the NHL for at least a while. But we see him as a center!

It's like they know they'll be criticized if this kid doesn't turn out to be a center.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I still don’t see the appeal of bringing him up, he didn’t really light up the WHL this year, and even if he played the full season, the projection is still not remarkable. This is a guy with a lot of doubt to his game, and if we want this player to play to his upside, he needs to develop his offensive game. Yes, he has the body of an NHL player, but do we want Brian Boyle or Wayne Simmonds here?

I very much believe this is a guy who would benefit with another year in junior.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It’s not like he’s really played with elite wingers while at C. The offense he’s showing when allowed to let down his guard defensively a bit should be very encouraging. I envision a possible Dats/Z relationship with him and Larkin where they can split defensive/faceoff duties if we team them up, or we can roll them on seperate lines. Versatility is great.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It’s not like he’s really played with elite wingers while at C. The offense he’s showing when allowed to let down his guard defensively a bit should be very encouraging. I envision a possible Dats/Z relationship with him and Larkin where they can split defensive/faceoff duties if we team them up, or we can roll them on seperate lines. Versatility is great.

I don't see it. Larkin was worlds ahead of him at the same age, especially defensively. I can see him being part of a big first line with Mantha and him being the wings and that would be a pretty intriguing first line on a good team, but they will both really benefit from an elite play making center between them.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I still don’t see the appeal of bringing him up, he didn’t really light up the WHL this year, and even if he played the full season, the projection is still not remarkable. This is a guy with a lot of doubt to his game, and if we want this player to play to his upside, he needs to develop his offensive game. Yes, he has the body of an NHL player, but do we want Brian Boyle or Wayne Simmonds here?

I very much believe this is a guy who would benefit with another year in junior.

If he came up next year he would be on the same development path as Simmonds, Boyle stayed down for 5 seasons post draft and only had 8 points his first NCAA season. I think the wings need to get him used to using his body against pros, not juniors anymore. When youre talking guys picked in his range I think the offense will come around better by developing in the NHL. Larkin didnt get over ripened for the first prospect in forever and hes really turning out. It seems like the wings have the same plan with Rasmussen.

Honestly, with the quality of the wings team right now the only young guys that should be getting over ripe are the ones who need to work on their skating. A high end guy like Hronek should only spend one full season in the AHL and let him figure it out in the NHL. No point in these guys having their growing pains at 24 or 25 when getting them out of the way at 21 wont impact the team standings

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
bit baffled about all the skepticism surrounding Rasmussen.
1) plays well in pre season for wings
2) had some injury (s?) that slowed down his regular season production
3) averaging 3 points a game in the PLAYOFFS

To me he is potential franchise player not some secondary winger who needs more time in the minors.

I mean 3 points a game in the playoffs in the minors and he needs another year there? Unless we are tanking for a first next year I see no reason to do that.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
bit baffled about all the skepticism surrounding Rasmussen.
1) plays well in pre season for wings
2) had some injury (s?) that slowed down his regular season production
3) averaging 3 points a game in the PLAYOFFS

To me he is potential franchise player not some secondary winger who needs more time in the minors.

I mean 3 points a game in the playoffs in the minors and he needs another year there? Unless we are tanking for a first next year I see no reason to do that.
Sample size. If he continues to play very well next year, then maybe he's found another gear, and the pick looks fantastic. But anybody can get hot for 10 games, versus a larger body of work that suggests he may be more of a middle six guy. Time will tell, but just as I don't go crazy with drafting a kid based on a single tournament, I also don't put a ton of stock in a handful of playoff games, no matter how awesome somebody looks.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I've got no problem bringing him up next year. While I've got reservations about the pick I'm totally fine with seeing if he can hack the NHL. I've supported giving younger guys NHL playing time for about 5 years now. Let's see if Rasmussen can live up to the hype.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Was your "Bryan Boyle or Wayne Simmonds" comment lumping both in the same category or pointing out the difference in the two?

Because if he turned out to be Wayne Simmonds I'd be happy... He's way bigger though.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
[QUOTE="Ulysses31, post: 144881281, member: 259619" Unless we are tanking for a first next year I see no reason to do that.[/QUOTE]

That we're

We want another lottery pick in 2019 and more than likely in 2020 as well

That is our goal

Or at least should be

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I've got no problem bringing him up next year. While I've got reservations about the pick I'm totally fine with seeing if he can hack the NHL. I've supported giving younger guys NHL playing time for about 5 years now. Let's see if Rasmussen can live up to the hype.

Hype? What hype? He's practically ripped a new ass hole on a weekly basis by the HF "experts." If he becomes a better NHLer than Brian Boyle's grandmother then he's lived up to the hype.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Can I have what you are smoking?

Don't know much about Hughes, but Dahlin and another top defender sets us up very nicely.

Thing is, Detroit's rebuild fringes on properly taking a few elite players. Obviously, that's easier said than done, but they already have the young "Supporting cast" players drafted. In a sense, they're rebuilding backwards. And the jury is still out on whether Larkin may be elite himself. Last year I'd have said he's a 2nd line center. After this season, I'm wondering if he can actually be a better version of Ryan O'Reilly or a poor man's Bergeron.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Don't know much about Hughes, but Dahlin and another top defender sets us up very nicely.

Thing is, Detroit's rebuild fringes on properly taking a few elite players. Obviously, that's easier said than done, but they already have the young "Supporting cast" players drafted. In a sense, they're rebuilding backwards. And the jury is still out on whether Larkin may be elite himself. Last year I'd have said he's a 2nd line center. After this season, I'm wondering if he can actually be a better version of Ryan O'Reilly or a poor man's Bergeron.

I was going for having 2 consecutive top picks is unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad