Prospect Info: At 30th Overall the Predators Select Eeli Tolvanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Yeah most are surprised he was still there at #30. And if the price to protect Neal last week really was a 1st to Vegas, this amounts to a Neal for Tolvanen swap which seems a strong Poile-style move.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Honestly, I think I'd like to sign him right away. With his speed at 5-10/181, he's physically in a place where he won't get tossed around like a rag doll in the AHL, and being in our strength program for basically a free two years with the ELC slide rule would be a huge boost to his development.

His official combine measurements were 5"10.5' and 189 lbs and he looked pretty ripped to me. I think he should definitely be able handle the AHL physically.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
How did this even happen? Most mocks had him in the top 15. Is the Boston college commitment an issue maybe. Something has to be up for him to drop to 30. Kid has skills!

My only concern is that BC has a history of taking almost any athlete. I assume that it was an academic or language issue. This kid has potential to fill up the net.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I read not enough credits on some prospect website. Who knows. IT doesn't really matter honestly. BY all reports his hockey IQ is very high.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I read not enough credits on some prospect website. Who knows. IT doesn't really matter honestly. BY all reports his hockey IQ is very high.
The credits seem to be the issue given how he has only been in the US for 2 years and mostly playing hockey it makes sense.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
My only concern is that BC has a history of taking almost any athlete. I assume that it was an academic or language issue. This kid has potential to fill up the net.

after watching his interview it certainly wasn't a language issue. I'd be willing to bet its the credits rumor floating around. Schools are really strict about having x amount of math/history/english/science units etc

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Someone on FB made a post welcoming him to Smashville. Then he checked the auto translator and had to laugh. His name was translated to e Eli Hoopleheads.

I'm sure the Finns would say there was a Swedish trickster involved.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I just watched this guy's tape for a little while. He's gonna be special. His shot is quick and he finds holes perfectly. He's pretty quick and always looks for the shot. Had a hat trick against Russia in the 2016 U18 IIHF tournament and at one point led the tournament in goals.

He was linemates with Jesse Puljujarvi (4th OVR pick last year)

Kid is gonna be special.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
When I 1st thought of AHL I was excited and fwould have said yes, but now that I think of it more I think 1 more junior year/Liiga season would be better.

I'm going by how A.Nylander struggled to jump from OHL to AHL, it's different for these European prospects when they come from Liiga/SHL.

Great shot, elite potential but elite risk.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
When I 1st thought of AHL I was excited and fwould have said yes, but now that I think of it more I think 1 more junior year/Liiga season would be better.

I'm going by how A.Nylander struggled to jump from OHL to AHL, it's different for these European prospects when they come from Liiga/SHL.

Great shot, elite potential but elite risk.
But he's an North American prospect.. Most likely route would have been college but now that's out of the question and given how he's built he certainly can go the AHL route if he wants to
I dont recall anyone having a better impact in their game If they have gone to Liiga for development

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
But he's an North American prospect.. Most likely route would have been college but now that's out of the question and given how he's built he certainly can go the AHL route if he wants to
I dont recall anyone having a better impact in their game If they have gone to Liiga for development

1)So was A.Nylander and he struggled.
2)How many prospects of ours have been in same situation? Can't think of 1.

I'd look at juniors/Liiga for next season, then AHL.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
He can go to the CHL as well. They will evaluate him at development camp and see what is the best place for him.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Someone on FB made a post welcoming him to Smashville. Then he checked the auto translator and had to laugh. His name was translated to e Eli Hoopleheads.

I'm sure the Finns would say there was a Swedish trickster involved.

If we only were so lucky. For a boy with rumored "academic" shortcomings, "tolvana" is an unfortunate choice for last name.

Noun
tolvana

ignoramus, nincompoop, blockhead

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/tolvana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad