Prospect Info: At 30th Overall the Predators Select Eeli Tolvanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
How did this even happen? Most mocks had him in the top 15. Is the Boston college commitment an issue maybe. Something has to be up for him to drop to 30. Kid has skills!

Lots of teams wanted centers and defensemen. He was the 4th winger taken.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Small isn't always bad. Just look at arvy! At 5'10"/11" he isn't really small...

Only thing that scares me though is having fiala, arvy and eeli in our top six. All are very small for the big rough western conference. We will need to get some bigger bodies to round out too six.
Johansen and forsberg are perfect. Need another Neal. Although I guess we would astually need a centre and kamenev/Trenton have great size, even more so does ejdsell.

Love this pick though!! Was not hyped about draft until this happened!

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Well he looks to be James Neal replacement in a couple years. We really needed better goal scorer forwards so I'm happy w/ this pick Hope he does well in the NHL.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Between here and on twitter, people calling it a steal, best value of the 1st round, everyone seems happy. Seeing highlights and comparisons, I'm happy. Not really concerned at all about his size right now.

Welcome to Smashville Eeli!!

How do we say his name, E-lie or Ell-e? I heard both tonight.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Between here and on twitter, people calling it a steal, best value of the 1st round, everyone seems happy. Seeing highlights and comparisons, I'm happy. Not really concerned at all about his size right now.

Welcome to Smashville Eeli!!

How do we say his name, E-lie or Ell-e? I heard both tonight.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=249730

When you click the icon next to his name you get the correct pronunciation.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Pure goal scorer, i don't think there would be better with for him than Nashville which doesn't absolutely need big two way forwards

josiesque

Oct 15, 2015
Just watched highlights of this boy and the reports say steal too. Awesome player.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017

Sort of, but there aren't many legit top 6 guys. Mostly 3rd/4th liners, so if the guy has top 6 skill, he can jump plenty of other guys over the next couple of years.

As for the pick itself, you can't really hope for any better considering the pick was 30th overall, mid first round talent (or better) definitely. Saw him going as high as 9th in the NHL.com mocks. Here's what Corey Pronman wrote about him right after the pick:

"This is the steal of the first round, Nashville gets Tolvanen, one of the best goal-scorers in the class, and a player who becomes their clear top forward prospect. He was reportedly rejected by Boston College, so if he doesn't end up on campus, he could potentially enter the Predators' system right away in the AHL."

Also this:

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
so was it size alone that made this guy fall to 30? or what?

any rumored attitude issues?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't say "Deep"... Beyond Forsberg and Arvidsson what is there? A lot of Hope in Fiala, a bag of disappointment in Wilson and Smith and then a bunch of fourth liners, maybe Aberg will exceed expectations though.

Ideally Tolvanen develops into a first/second liner and we can shed one of Wilson or Smith.

Forsberg - C - Arvidsson
Fiala - C - Tolvanen
Wilson - C - Aberg
Watson - C - Salomaki

If everyone stays healthy and hits their peak, that's a good enough roster. But there's definitely some question marks there and there will be speed bumps along the way.

Tolvanen could very well bust too. Arvidsson could (likely) regress a bit. It's far from a sure thing, let's hope that we can manage a bit of luck for a change.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
so was it size alone that made this guy fall to 30? or what?

any rumored attitude issues?

Doubt it would be his size. Combine put him at 5'10 1/2 and 189, that's not small for the NHL today. And he's built pretty strong too, did well on the pullups and bench press.

Maybe he simply dropped because of a run on centers/defenseman, similar to Forsberg. He was the 3rd or 4th winger taken I believe. I don't know why he dropped and I haven't seen anyone that does for sure, but I also haven't seen any indications that he has any attitude problems.

Edit: I just checked, he was the 3rd winger taken and the first wasn't taken until pick 22 (The 5'7" 145 pound Yamamoto, now THAT is small, lol)

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I would like to see him in the CHL or Milwaukee. Maybe BC rejecting him is a blessing in disguise?

Not sure whether I'd rather him start off in Milwaukee
(Which would start his ELC, right? ) or play a year in junior.

If he goes the junior route could he come to the Ads the next year or would it be one of those situations where he'd either be on the Preds or back to junior?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

If he goes the junior route could he come to the Ads the next year or would it be one of those situations where he'd either be on the Preds or back to junior?
He wasn't drafted out of the CHL, so I don't think the 19 year old rule applies.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
While I'm not super high on Tolvanen (as he is a bit one-sided player), I have to say two things:

1) At #30 this kid is a STEAL
2) There is probably no better team for him to end up in than Nashville.

Congratulations! I have watched him a lot and the Tarasenko comparisons are spot on. For his size he is good at protecting the puck (stays on his feet well) and when compared to other Finnish juniors during the last 4 years his shot is only second to Laine.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Be interesting where we decide to put him if he doesn't go to college. He can go back to Finland and play, CHL as a team does have his rights or the Milwaukee since he wasn't drafted out of the CHL. He is still several years away from the NHL but a really good prospect.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Saw someone mention it on Twitter last night that he's expressed interest in playing in the AHL next season

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND

Honestly, I think I'd like to sign him right away. With his speed at 5-10/181, he's physically in a place where he won't get tossed around like a rag doll in the AHL, and being in our strength program for basically a free two years with the ELC slide rule would be a huge boost to his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad