Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
Can’t have much left to prove in Finland after this season, might as well come over to the Moose and start learning the North American game.

This prospect excites me, won’t lie!

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
What do you guys think this timeline is looking like? Another year in Suomi then the Moose?

Both are good options. I'd say it comes down to how he can adapt to the smaller rink and NA in general. If you want to minimize the chance of this kind of problems, bring him to Moose next year and let him play one full AHL season. Then the year after that use him as a call-up.

But if he looks like he is quick to adapt, another year in FEL would be good for his confidence as a top 6 player. He'd probably tear the league a new one.

Reactions: Ippenator

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Both are good options. I'd say it comes down to how he can adapt to the smaller rink and NA in general. If you want to minimize the chance of this kind of problems, bring him to Moose next year and let him play one full AHL season. Then the year after that use him as a call-up.

But if he looks like he is quick to adapt, another year in FEL would be good for his confidence as a top 6 player. He'd probably tear the league a new one.

Given the talent we have on the Moose now it might be better for him to be on a winning team though. his Liiga team isn't very good.

Reactions: gearmex

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Leading scorer on his team.

'K, thanks.

I would have preferred some reference to Norse gods :laugh: but leading team in scoring is good. :laugh:

Do Finns even share the Norse mythology? Or do they have their own with Sami wizards and magic reindeer?

Reactions: gearmex

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
'K, thanks.

I would have preferred some reference to Norse gods :laugh: but leading team in scoring is good. :laugh:

Do Finns even share the Norse mythology? Or do they have their own with Sami wizards and magic reindeer?
We have our own mythology, which is called Kalevala. It might have at least some slight similarities with some Norse mythology, but nothing very clear or on a big scale.

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
'K, thanks.

Exactly like you said, wish thought be the Vikings haha but shit happens

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
:):):laugh:
'K, thanks.

To get this even somehow hockey related, I have to mention that in the Kalevala mythology there is the the God of thunder whom is called Ukko. Maybe that is a role waiting for Laine in the hockey mythology too? Hopefully so. But which role will be available for Vesalainen? Hopefully a big one anyway! :)

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I'm pleased to see that Vesalainen is on fire. Though still puzzled why we did not draft Tolvanen instead. Or that why no one did take Tolvanen earlier. I guess Jets and Preds got lucked in that Finns did not have success at U20, which did make value for Vesalainen and esp. Tolvanen lower than they should have been.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm pleased to see that Vesalainen is on fire. Though still puzzled why we did not draft Tolvanen instead. Or that why no one did take Tolvanen earlier. I guess Jets and Preds got lucked in that Finns did not have success at U20, which did make value for Vesalainen and esp. Tolvanen lower than they should have been.

Tolvanen was not as highly regarded until this year. There may have been good reason to rate him higher but it simply was not recognized. The rating for Vesalainen seems to have been a little fuzzy too.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Well, seeing Vesalainen play very well this season too, I have to say that maybe after all he will even be a better pick for the Jets in the long run. I mean Tolvanen sure is absolutely magnificent, but he is quite similar to Laine with his play style and goal scoring talent. I’m not sure if it would be good to even have two of that type and class of snipers in the same team. I mean unless they would play on the same line, they would probably eat away each others playing time a bit. And I doubt that they would be ideal to play on the same line, except maybe on the power play. So I just see maybe the type of big, strong and offensively also talented player like Vesalainen maybe fitting at least as well, or maybe even better to the Jets.

And this does not mean that I see Vesalainen as a better prospect or player than Tolvanen, as I don’t. But it is still not so big difference that the role and the best fit wouldn’t after all be important too.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Well, seeing Vesalainen play very well this season too, I have to say that maybe after all he will even be a better pick for the Jets in the long run. I mean Tolvanen sure is absolutely magnificent, but he is quite similar to Laine with his play style and goal scoring talent. I’m not sure if it would be good to even have two of that type and class of snipers in the same team. I mean unless they would play on the same line, they would probably eat away each others playing time a bit. And I doubt that they would be ideal to play on the same line, except maybe on the power play. So I just see maybe the type of big, strong and offensively also talented player like Vesalainen maybe fitting at least as well, or maybe even better to the Jets.

And this does not mean that I see Vesalainen as a better prospect or player than Tolvanen, as I don’t. But it is still not so big difference that the role and the best fit wouldn’t after all be important too.
Was our 13th pick going to be Tolvanen I would much rather that we picked a D. With the way the moose are playing we have more than enough firepower and very little in the way of prospects for D.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Tolvanen was not as highly regarded until this year. There may have been good reason to rate him higher but it simply was not recognized. The rating for Vesalainen seems to have been a little fuzzy too.

I guess it's the NA coverage of those tiny European forwards (Tolvanen) that's selling him short. I did hype him a lot when they won U18 championship. Also Pulju was part of the team, but I admired the way Tolvanen played and did shoot the puck and how driven he was. Exactly like a left handed pocket version of Laine. About Vesalainen I was never that high, though he e definitely might end up as a poor mans Wheeler, which is great.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I guess it's the NA coverage of those tiny European forwards (Tolvanen) that's selling him short. I did hype him a lot when they won U18 championship. Also Pulju was part of the team, but I admired the way Tolvanen played and did shoot the puck and how driven he was. Exactly like a left handed pocket version of Laine. About Vesalainen I was never that high, though he e definitely might end up as a poor mans Wheeler, which is great.

Size tends to get over-emphasized - but it does matter. Vesalainen's U18 was very impressive. Short tournaments get over-weighted by fans. I don't know if scouts are that influenced by them or not. I don't think they should, but they seem to be.

Already having Ehlers and Connor, I think the Jets could use a power forward like Vesalainen. But Tolvanen is having an eye-opening (maybe jaw-dropping would be a better term) season for an 18 YO in the KHL.

Reactions: Halberdier

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I think the biggest reason why Jets drafted Vesalainen was due to Jets already having a real solid top-6 but somewhat lackluster bottom-6 when it comes to scoring.

I bet the management was debating hard whether to pick someone like Tolvanen who is basically a Laine lite/sniper or Vesalainen who probably doesn't have the potential crack Jets top-6 in the near future but instead they saw a lot of great 3rd line scoring potential in Vesalainen who can at the same bring more to the table than sniper like Tolvanen, although Tolvanen is far from being one dimensional sniper. Still, Vesalainen will probably always be a better two way player than Tolvanen.

I can understand why the Jets saw Vesalainen as a better fit for their team and why they would still probably go with him in a redraft.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
'K, thanks.

Ain't no Norse God gonna mess with Finn the Human. :D

___finn_the_human_____by_hannah_phantom-d4qc4i4.jpg

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think the biggest reason why Jets drafted Vesalainen was due to Jets already having a real solid top-6 but somewhat lackluster bottom-6 when it comes to scoring.

I bet the management was debating hard whether to pick someone like Tolvanen who is basically a Laine lite/sniper or Vesalainen who probably doesn't have the potential crack Jets top-6 in the near future but instead they saw a lot of great 3rd line scoring potential in Vesalainen who can at the same bring more to the table than sniper like Tolvanen, although Tolvanen is far from being one dimensional sniper. Still, Vesalainen will probably always be a better two way player than Tolvanen.

I can understand why the Jets saw Vesalainen as a better fit for their team and why they would still probably go with him in a redraft.
Either that, or they missed out on all the worthwhile centers and defensemen.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB

I follow the logic, but I don’t agree. That’s like passing up on a 1-2 dman for a 6-7 dman because your blue line is already stacked. If they valued him higher, and believed he would be better than Vesalainen, regardless of current or future team needs they should have drafted the best player available. If it turns out you’re fully loaded up front, then trade him for whatever you do need.

Thanks to the poster above for the highlights of Vesalainen. I agree that he looks to have a pro-level shot. Maybe Laine could show him some tips and we could run PP1 with Laine rockets from one face off dot, and PP2 with Vesalainen sniping corns from the other dot someday... :naughty:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I follow the logic, but I don’t agree. That’s like passing up on a 1-2 dman for a 6-7 dman because your blue line is already stacked. If they valued him higher, and believed he would be better than Vesalainen, regardless of current or future team needs they should have drafted the best player available. If it turns out you’re fully loaded up front, then trade him for whatever you do need.

Thanks to the poster above for the highlights of Vesalainen. I agree that he looks to have a pro-level shot. Maybe Laine could show him some tips and we could run PP1 with Laine rockets from one face off dot, and PP2 with Vesalainen sniping corns from the other dot someday... :naughty:
At the time, it was quite widely agreed that Vesalainen was the BPA at 24. It was not like there were any surefire studs available after Heiskanen, let alone at the latter part of the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad