Prospect Info: At 18th Overall the Winnipeg Jets Select C Chaz Lucius

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The only guy I think that might have been a better pick is Lysall but I am not sure about others around him. Look at a guy like Wyatt Johnston, he is a real solid player and likely plays in the NHL but I don't ever see him being a top line player, maybe he scores 20 one season and kills penalites for you but he isn't a game changer.

I just find it hard to pass on guys that have that kind of shot and that kind of scoring ability. I think he goes to College for at least 2 years before we try to bring him here. It should give him plenty of time to work on his skating and strength. We likely get to see him twice at the world juniors as well.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The only guy I think that might have been a better pick is Lysall but I am not sure about others around him. Look at a guy like Wyatt Johnston, he is a real solid player and likely plays in the NHL but I don't ever see him being a top line player, maybe he scores 20 one season and kills penalites for you but he isn't a game changer.

I just find it hard to pass on guys that have that kind of shot and that kind of scoring ability. I think he goes to College for at least 2 years before we try to bring him here. It should give him plenty of time to work on his skating and strength. We likely get to see him twice at the world juniors as well.
Two years college, then a year on the Moose, then Jets?

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Seems like a solid pick. The knock appears to be skating, which I am not worried about. By all accounts he is a character player with an excellent attitude who will commit to developing areas that could use improvement. Reminds me of another 18OA pick from the Jets a few years ago in Logan Stanley.

It starts between the ears and if you are teachable - this is exciting for me because the Jets org oozes examples of taking the time to develop players who are willing to be taught. My guess is there is already a template development plan that will be specified to his needs. Jets excel in this area and I am thrilled. Things like humility (ability to be taught), grit, and resilience are excellent predictors of success and it appears this young man does check those boxes so it is hard to not be pleased as a fan.

There once was a pretty good goal scorer years ago who could shoot the puck extremely well, get in tight to tap in loose pucks, but also the knock on him was his skating. That guy is Corey Perry. Say what you will about the guy but he checks the aforementioned predictors and was willing to work on his shortcomings. He has carved out an exceptional career. Lastly, this young man will find no better person to model their development after than Mark Schiefele, a guy who was lightly-heartedly referred to as Bambi because he could not make it work and stay on his feet. He committed, was teachable, and now look at what you have.

It is for these reasons that I feel there is potential for this lad to enter the superstar stratosphere. Time will tell, but all the ingredients appear to be in place. Seems like another excellent choice by Chevy and the team.

JetFan4Ever

May 23, 2010
I always ask this question... Given the importance of skating ability, why hasn't he taken any steps to improve it before hitting his draft season to raise his ranking? Is it possible he just isn't ever going to be a good skater?
It makes me think of how many times Schief fell in his first couple years. He overcame that quite nicely!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This was a good pick for where we drafted.

He is young and almost lost a year of development so some of his skills like skating development were even more impaired. I was a big fan of Jason Robertson’s game in his draft year but he fell because he was a terrible skater. His skating still looks awkward and clumsy at best but it doesn’t matter because he is a great player.

Lucius is a gifted offensive player but he has two elite attributes which are his shot and his character. As Chevy mentioned he has a high level of self awareness too. Like Robertson he doesn’t need to become a good skater he only needs to become good enough.

Had he just finished a full healthy season we would have never got a shot at him where we drafted.

I think he will be on our team around his draft +4 season and he will be an important asset for us. Perfect sneaky sniper for a magician like Perfetti to exploit.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
This is why i'm not a fan of the Jets ever trading their 1st round picks especially for a rental at the deadline, they are too good at drafting. :nod:
I think Stastny really helped when he was traded for a 1st.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
.....He is young and almost lost a year of development so some of his skills like skating development were even more impaired. I was a big fan of Jason Robertson’s game in his draft year but he fell because he was a terrible skater. His skating still looks awkward and clumsy at best but it doesn’t matter because he is a great player.
Lucius is a gifted offensive player but he has two elite attributes which are his shot and his character. As Chevy mentioned he has a high level of self awareness too. .....
Had he just finished a full healthy season we would have never got a shot at him where we drafted.

I think he will be on our team around his draft +4 season and he will be an important asset for us. Perfect sneaky sniper for a magician like Perfetti to exploit.

Agree with this, especially the bolded. He is a young 18 year old--six months younger than some of the other top forwards--and combined with his knee surgery, he is developmentally behind by as much as a year. He will make this up easily, given his skill and motivation, but otherwise he would have been a top-6 choice (IMO) and unavailable to us. The other thing that very young 18 year olds do is grow--and we could easily have a 6'2, 195 lb RW on our hands in a couple of years. He already plays like it--unafraid to move to high danger zones.

I haven't seen a natural scorer with this quick a release on our team since Patrik Laine--remember him? Laine's velocity is higher, but Lucius' style of play will fit the NHL better, and his maturity and motivation already leave Patrik's in the dust.

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree with this, especially the bolded. He is a young 18 year old--six months younger than some of the other top forwards--and combined with his knee surgery, he is developmentally behind by as much as a year. He will make this up easily, given his skill and motivation, but otherwise he would have been a top-6 choice (IMO) and unavailable to us. The other thing that very young 18 year olds do is grow--and we could easily have a 6'1-6'2 185 lb RW on our hands in a couple of years. He already plays like it--unafraid to move to high danger zones.

I haven't seen a natural scorer with this quick a release on our team since Patrik Laine--remember him? Laine's velocity is greater, but Lucius' style of play will fit the NHL better, and his maturity and motivation already leave Patrik's in the dust.
His scoring ability actually reminds me of Connor. I see a lot of Connor in his game, minus the speed and right hand shot.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
His scoring ability actually reminds me of Connor. I see a lot of Connor in his game, minus the speed and right hand shot.
Yes, Connor (minus the speed) was the first comparator in my my mind as well--US player, built similarly, with very quick hands in tight. But I viewed a couple of highlights where he surprised the goalie, releasing it early and off his back leg, reminding me of....whatshisname....?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That name... Great name for some movie villian.

His profile sounds similar to Perfetti last year so I guess good pick

Reminds me more of the main guy some women is chasing in a romance novel. Chaz Lucius the rich muscular eligible bachelor hes a bad boy with a good heart that all the women swoon over. He cooks, he cleans, he rides a motor bike.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Seems like a good pick. Here are my questions about him if anyone cann provide any info. Does he need his linear speed or speed burst (or both)
It's easier to work on linear speed or general skating. So Im hoping it's mainly that.

What is his coachabily? Will teaching defensive skill be challenge like Scheifele or Connor? Or is he more open to playing a 200 foot game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad