Prospect Info: At 18th Overall the Winnipeg Jets Select C Chaz Lucius

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm pretty meh on this pick. We had a chance to draft a game changer with the top ranked goalie in the draft being available and we take another forward that may or may not turn out to be anything special. Was there a concern that our temperamental Helly might get his nose out of joint from a challenger being drafted this high? Whatever, we'll see what comes of this pick.

No? Wallstedt wouldn't be ready until Hellebuyck's deal was up anyway.

This guy was ranked pretty high and fell due to an injury. This was a great value pick.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's not a bad pick, but I was really hoping for Carson Lambos because not only is he what the Jets need right now, but the fact he was born, raised, and played for the Winnipeg Ice, which would've also been good for the ice in terms of ticket sales if he were to develop there because who can deny it's better when it's our prospect in the system. Just would've been such an amazing story.

I like Lambos but we are pretty stacked at LD in the prospect ranks and have Samberg and Stanley that bring a lot of what he does.

If Lambos was a RD I'd be more inclined to have made him our pick.

We don't really have any potential RW of note so this definitely fills an area of need in the system. Having said that I feel we needed a player with more dimensions to their game then one who is predominantly a skilled scorer in the Kyle Conner mold.

I think as a team we need to get more balanced upfront so I would have been looking for a forward with good skill and strong all around game.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I like the pick.

And I know it's been done to death, but Lucius will always be Chaz Michael Michaels to me.

AjarSlimCygnet-size_restricted.gif

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A post from yours truly in the draft thread...

"I like Bourgault as a R shot C/W. I also think the Jets could use a fast, offensive fireplug type of forward on RW like Coronato or even Stankoven. If Lucius drops, even better. Too bad the Bruins don't have 3 picks before our #17 this year."

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
A post from yours truly in the draft thread...

"I like Bourgault as a R shot C/W. I also think the Jets could use a fast, offensive fireplug type of forward on RW like Coronato or even Stankoven. If Lucius drops, even better. Too bad the Bruins don't have 3 picks before our #17 this year."

Turns out we didn't need Boston having 3 first round picks this year :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The thing about the Jets scouting process is that when a highly skilled prospect falls to them they don't get cute or use some weird process, they grab the good player. When Lucius fell to the Jets I felt very relaxed and confident that they wouldn't overthink it, and just take the talent.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The thing about the Jets scouting process is that when a highly skilled prospect falls to them they don't get cute or use some weird process, they grab the good player. When Lucius fell to the Jets I felt very relaxed and confident that they wouldn't overthink it, and just take the talent.

Yeah they take skill when it is there consistiently. I worry about this kids skating though, it's real bad. He will have plenty of time to improve it though. His offensive skill though is undeniable but he likely is a complimentary scoring winger of he can't make massive strides in it.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
No? Wallstedt wouldn't be ready until Hellebuyck's deal was up anyway.

This guy was ranked pretty high and fell due to an injury. This was a great value pick.

Yes, but a legit competitor down the road would make the Jets think twice about handing out a Carey Price type long term deal to Helly. I have my doubts that Berdin or Holm is going to be that guy. I'm sure Helly is counting on that so that he can cash in on his waning years.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yes, but a legit competitor down the road would make the Jets think twice about handing out a Carey Price type long term deal to Helly. I have my doubts that Berdin or Holm is going to be that guy. I'm sure Helly is counting on that so that he can cash in on his waning years.

I don't think Chevy is avoiding a player because he's afraid how another player will take it. This isn't the NFL.

It's pretty funny how much people will stretch stuff to paint someone in the worst possible light, you've managed to convolute a draft pick in a way to make Helle look like a temperamental dick AND make Chevy look afraid of one of his employees, so well done on that front I guess.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yeah they take skill when it is there consistiently. I worry about this kids skating though, it's real bad. He will have plenty of time to improve it though. His offensive skill though is undeniable but he likely is a complimentary scoring winger of he can't make massive strides in it.

I always ask this question... Given the importance of skating ability, why hasn't he taken any steps to improve it before hitting his draft season to raise his ranking? Is it possible he just isn't ever going to be a good skater?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think his skating will improve. Have read he's not explosive but has good edges. He's also a May birthday, so fairly young. I really like this one. Think he'll be better than Perfetti.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think his skating will improve. Have read he's not explosive but has good edges. He's also a May birthday, so fairly young. I really like this one. Think he'll be better than Perfetti.

I'm not sure his skating will improve to the point that he's going to outpace the average NHL defenceman. I think he's dangerous in the offensive zone and he's going to be an effective 2nd line winger, which isn't bad from his draft position.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I always ask this question... Given the importance of skating ability, why hasn't he taken any steps to improve it before hitting his draft season to raise his ranking? Is it possible he just isn't ever going to be a good skater?

Well blackbook goes into detail on it and a
most all of his mechanics are a mess and he also lacks the fast twitch muscle ability to make up for them which is unlike a prospect like Othman who has that fast twitch capability that allows him to generate a lot of power to compensate for his poor mechanics.

They aren't very optimistic he will ever get it to even an average level and don't see him being much of a play driver due to it.

I like the talent and think with some of our play drivers like Cole, Dubois, and Ehlers he can find a niche as a trigger man that can keep the play alive with the puck on his stick but I personally would have gone for a more rounded forward with speed and play driving ability myself here.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I have a really good feeling about this guy. He has a great name, and the Jets 1st rounders are always dope. I feel like he could be the guy who takes the 1C torch from Scheifele in 8 years or whenever Scheif retires.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He isn't in the same stratosphere as Perfetti imo. Cole has elite edges and is much more dangerous all around offensive player who also is elite at driving transitions both offensive and defensive.

Cole had a 1.8 ppg in the OHL in his draft year and this kid had a 1.5 ppg in the NTDP which is a couple levels down from the OHL.

The two aren't close in terms ability and results.

Reactions: JetsUK

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Well blackbook goes into detail on it and a
most all of his mechanics are a mess and he also lacks the fast twitch muscle ability to make up for them which is unlike a prospect like Othman who has that fast twitch capability that allows him to generate a lot of power to compensate for his poor mechanics.

They aren't very optimistic he will ever get it to even an average level and don't see him being much of a play driver due to it.

I like the talent and think with some of our play drivers like Cole, Dubois, and Ehlers he can find a niche as a trigger man that can keep the play alive with the puck on his stick but I personally would have gone for a more rounded forward with speed and play driving ability myself here.

I think his offensive upside is worth the risk compared to who was available at that spot.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think his offensive upside is worth the risk compared to who was available at that spot.

I don't disagree, you can't go wrong betting on skill but there is a lot of risk with this pick as well.

As I said I'm fine with the pick but it's not who I would have gone with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad