Line Combos: Assuming Habs go big thus summer

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I was able to trade Alzner, 2nd, two grade B's for Subban, and sign Domi, Crawford, Kovalchuk, Juulsen, Evans, and Mete and still have cap space left. Why you getting upset when I'm giving you sound logic to counter your dreams?

All fits a $82M salary cap bud.

Alzner gone: check
Improved top 4D: check
Back-up Goalie: check
Kovalchuk back: check
Domi signed: check

Show me your improved overall roster that fits a salary cap?

EYSPJiH.jpg
You'd be hooped next season though. Some big FAs who'll command raises.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
No to Vlasic, except signing him after Sharks buy him up. I could live with Vlasic at 4M$ for 3 years. Off course this scenario is unlikely so, no to Vlasic.

Use Domi or Drouin (and add Mete if necessary) in a trade for a solid top 4 lhd. Go the UFA route to replace Domi's offense. More options for forwards on the UFA front (Hall, Dadonov, Hoffman, Granlund, Toffoli).

Draft BPA with 8OA (assuming we stay there. I hope for one of Raymond, Holtz, Rossi or Perfetti). This player might be ready to help alot starting 2021-2022 season. Which gives you the opportunity to trade one of our UFA to be forwards (Danault, Gallagher and Tatar) as a rental if we don't make the 2020-2021 playoffs.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
Habs 20-21
Hall-Barzal-Gallagher
Tatar-Domi-Suzuki
Drouin-Danault-Armia
Lehkonen-Evans-Byron

Dunn-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Mete-Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

While this would be absolutely amazing, there's no way the Islanders don't match a Barzal offer. Out of the three new names listed, Dunn is the most realistic for the Habs. The Blues have some cap issues without only $4.5 million to spend and both Alex Pietrangelo and Vince Dunn need new contracts. They're already going to have to move pieces in order to get Pietrangelo under contract which surely is where their focus would be. If I'm the Habs, I make that call this summer for sure.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
No to Vlasic, except signing him after Sharks buy him up. I could live with Vlasic at 4M$ for 3 years. Off course this scenario is unlikely so, no to Vlasic.

It might sound like an exaggeration to some but the gap between Vlasic at 33 and Scandella really isn't that wide . 4M is the absolute most I'd pay and like you said it won't happen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You'd be hooped next season though. Some big FAs who'll command raises.

Not really. Cap was rumored to grow to $84M - $88M before Covid-19. If Covid-19 delays the jump in cap beyond next season, there will be major changes to the cap and claw back likely. Problems from across the NHL, not just with the Habs.

Crawford and Kovalcuk off the books as well ($5.25M). It's workable and I would make those moves. What is needed to bring back Tatar, Petry, Danault, Galagher if we want to? That depends on the cap growth and if there is none, the market prices would be lower. Trade Byron out and it likely is enough

I only added $4.375M in the Alzner/Subban trade that would apply to the following season after next. Basically, you are saying we should sign no one this off season

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I won't bother replying because this entire trade scenario isn't worth replying to.

Why you here then? To not give your solutions to check of the boxes of team need and tell others how dumb theirs are? You argued it pretty hard... Stopping now means you have nothing of substance to counter with.

Give me a hard time all you want. I was clear with the approach... realistic options we can accomplish. Told you that several times too

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Why you here then? To not give your solutions to check of the boxes of team need and tell others how dumb theirs are? You argued it pretty hard... Stopping now means you have nothing of substance to counter with.

Give me a hard time all you want. I was clear with the approach... realistic options we can accomplish. Told you that several times too
I've given multiple options and trade ideas on several occasions throughout this thread. I just said yours wasn't what we needed and you got super defensive and decided PK was your hill to do die on.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've given multiple options and trade ideas on several occasions throughout this thread. I just said yours wasn't what we needed and you got super defensive and decided PK was your hill to do die on.

List your roster with total cap hits, who you added (traded for or signed), and how many team need check mark boxes you addressed.

Hope your open to the same type of criticism you spit out. Krug won't be signing with the Habs. That's a dream. That's my point bud

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not really. Cap was rumored to grow to $84M - $88M before Covid-19. If Covid-19 delays the jump in cap beyond next season, there will be major changes to the cap and claw back likely. Problems from across the NHL, not just with the Habs.

Crawford and Kovalcuk off the books as well ($5.25M). It's workable and I would make those moves. What is needed to bring back Tatar, Petry, Danault, Galagher if we want to? That depends on the cap growth and if there is none, the market prices would be lower. Trade Byron out and it likely is enough

I only added $4.375M in the Alzner/Subban trade that would apply to the following season after next. Basically, you are saying we should sign no one this off season

I don't think any team should move forward thinking the cap will increase next year. Even if there is a vaccine, unless businesses find their ways out of this we might be in a terrible economical crisis so people will spend less. Sports leagues are going to get hit.

As for Subban, I'd been interested before but I have very big doubts on PK's physical condition. He's usually very active on social media with his workouts and he hasn't posted anything about training in LA..
I rather we make moves that really moves the needle. Not sure about Subban at this point.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think any team should move forward thinking the cap will increase next year. Even if there is a vaccine, unless businesses find their ways out of this we might be in a terrible economical crisis so people will spend less. Sports leagues are going to get hit.

As for Subban, I'd been interested before but I have very big doubts on PK's physical condition. He's usually very active on social media with his workouts and he hasn't posted anything about training in LA..
I rather we make moves that really moves the needle. Not sure about Subban at this point.

I didn't move forward with the cap increasing next season. Well maybe increasing by $0.5M. The total 23 man roster after the trades and signings addressing the team need check mark boxes = $82M. Then there is a conversation of what happens in the 21/22 season which is hard to predict.

I would add Subban if they took Alzner. Subban for two years and move Petry to LD side. Not desperate to do this but it does make our top 4D better and Subban in a sheltered top 4D role is better than a lead role at this stage of his career. Difference between Alzner and Subban is like $4.375M extra so yeah, I would have no problem with that and the point was moves we could probably make, not moves we dream of making.... like signing Krug and/or Hall.

If the Devils want to talk, I am open to it. We take his contract, they take Alzner and we give them a similar return they paid to get him. We pay his July bonus money which I am sure their owner would like to not pay based on their low attendance this year expecting to fill seats with adding Subban, Hughes, and others. Their plan backfired on them cause most though they would rise in the standings and have better attendance

Last edited:

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Going big? Good god... based on what? Bergevin doing another bullsh!t OS that everyone knows isn't going to materialize? Or doing another Alzner?
Habs will be stuck in mediocrity until actual intelligent hockey people start running this organization. But while that buffoon and his sidekicks are at helm there will be no positive change.

Reactions: hvac412 and BLONG7

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I didn't move forward with the cap increasing next season. Well maybe increasing by $0.5M. The total 23 man roster after the trades and signings addressing the team need check mark boxes = $82M. Then there is a conversation of what happens in the 21/22 season which is hard to predict.

I would add Subban if they took Alzner. Subban for two years and move Petry to LD side. Not desperate to do this but it does make our top 4D better and Subban in a sheltered top 4D role is better than a lead role at this stage of his career. Difference between Alzner and Subban is like $4.375M extra so yeah, I would have no problem with that and the point was moves we could probably make, not moves we dream of making.... like signing Krug and/or Hall.

If the Devils want to talk, I am open to it. We take his contract, they take Alzner and we give them a similar return they paid to get him. We pay his July bonus money which I am sure their owner would like to not pay based on their low attendance this year expecting to fill seats with adding Subban, Hughes, and others. Their plan backfired on them cause most though they would rise in the standings and have better attendance

I think theres a good chance cap will decrease after next season.
In any event, I'm done with little moves that wont move the needle much.
As I said, I question Subbans physical condition at this point, so ya he might improve our top 4 but it wont be by a whole lot unless he's in good form.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think theres a good chance cap will decrease after next season.
In any event, I'm done with little moves that wont move the needle much.
As I said, I question Subbans physical condition at this point, so ya he might improve our top 4 but it wont be by a whole lot unless he's in good form.

I think it will stay the same but depends on if they can have fans in the seats or not for next year. They will probably have a very high escrow though. That's one way to keep the structure of the cap in place without drastic changes.

As far as Subban, I'd be ok for two more years and in a reduced role where he plays top 4D minutes, some PP but no PK. Shelter his ice time to some degree and I think he will yield good results. Plus playing in Montreal again likely gives him a spark of energy.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
We ain't going big thus summer.

We'll probably end up acquiring Vlasic and ice the same team.
Vlasic isn't happening . Montreal aren't signing or trading for high priced wingers either. Its also highly doubtful they use an offer sheet on any restricted free agent.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think it will stay the same but depends on if they can have fans in the seats or not for next year. They will probably have a very high escrow though. That's one way to keep the structure of the cap in place without drastic changes.

As far as Subban, I'd be ok for two more years and in a reduced role where he plays top 4D minutes, some PP but no PK. Shelter his ice time to some degree and I think he will yield good results. Plus playing in Montreal again likely gives him a spark of energy.

I rather just target someone else who will definitely have a positive impact.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
There's no need for a back-up.

His name is Cayden Primeau, and he needs to play atleast 25 games next season, to both develop him and keep Price fresh.
Can't see Primo in the show next year. We should give him as many games as possible in the AHL

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

One of the most common comments on the internet is "I don't care", including its variations :)

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
No big name players are going to want to play in a city where coronavirus is out of control.

If anything I expect some players to ask for trades out of here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad