Dunn-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Mete-Juulsen

Price
??

Last edited:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It fascinates me that Juulsen is still on line ups like these. Is he currently not dealing with vision/headache troubles, and since the start of the season?

On the topic at hand, how is this even possible to offersheet both Barzal and Dunn? Given the choice I try Barzal though, would look wicked in the future with Caufield on the PP (possibly), and we need a real number 1 center, since forever, badly.

I also skip on Hall, he's going to be one of those contract GMs regret 2 seasons later. And sign a better backup than Lindgren, its a couple games won by default.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It fascinates me that Juulsen is still on line ups like these. Is he currently not dealing with vision/headache troubles, and since the start of the season?

On the topic at hand, how is this even possible to offersheet both Barzal and Dunn? Given the choice I try Barzal though, would look wicked in the future with Caufield on the PP (possibly), and we need a real number 1 center, since forever, badly.

I also skip on Hall, he's going to be one of those contract GMs regret 2 seasons later. And sign a better backup than Lindgren, its a couple games won by default.

We're unsure how Juulsen is. He played whst turned out to be the last game of the season and felt fine. So we'll just have to see if he can actually stay healthy.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
We ain't going big thus summer.

We'll probably end up acquiring Vlasic and ice the same team.
Bergevin is a low-risk low-reward kind of guy, so it makes sense. Vlasic contract would be an anchor but he's a ti-gars de par chez nous. We got Weber and Price with MEGA contracts, but they are still valuable pieces to the team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Only way i want MEV is if the Sharks retain

I was wondering what the trade would look like. Even if you include Alzner, they still have to retain cause MEV is signed for another 6 more years from 34-39. Very risky if you ask me. He's already showing signs of slowing down so it might work for 2 or 3 years but it could be another Alzner problem from 3-6 years and at that point, he might block or hurt us from signing our young LD coming

Rather trade for Subban vs MEV to be honest and move Petry to his Left side. Subban has two more years left and we would be able to acquire for cheap and also have them retain down to $7M range. Way less risky if you ask me. Yeah, I know... people think Subban is done but I don't believe so. In a top 4D role, he still has value.

Would the Sharks retain more than $1M/year? Doubt it. Bring Subban back for two more years is what I say. I bet you he brings way more value than most are willing to admit

Chiarot / Weber
Petry / Subban
Romanov / Juulsen or Fleury

Mete, Kulak

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I was wondering what the trade would look like. Even if you include Alzner, they still have to retain cause MEV is signed for another 6 more years from 34-39. Very risky if you ask me. He's already showing signs of slowing down so it might work for 2 or 3 years but it could be another Alzner problem from 3-6 years and at that point, he might block or hurt us from signing our young LD coming

Rather trade for Subban vs MEV to be honest and move Petry to his Left side. Subban has two more years left and we would be able to acquire for cheap and also have them retain down to $7M range. Way less risky if you ask me. Yeah, I know... people think Subban is done but I don't believe so. In a top 4D role, he still has value.

Would the Sharks retain more than $1M/year? Doubt it. Bring Subban back for two more years is what I say. I bet you he brings way more value than most are willing to admit

Chiarot / Weber
Petry / Subban

Mete, Kulak
Haaaaard pass.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Yeah, a player of Taylor Hall's caliber signing here, and the isles not matching a Barzal OS, good joke.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Haaaaard pass.

Subban for two years is way less risky than MEV for 6. Hard pass all you want... Subban has gas left in the tank and his 2 years in term left is fine by me. Alzner goes the other way and we give them the same return they paid to get him.

Not much options out there for us. You want to sign Brodie from 30-35 and pay him Vlasic money? Krug won't sign with us.

Reactions: abo9

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Subban for two years is way less risky than MEV for 6. Hard pass all you want... Subban has gas left in the tank and his 2 years in term left is fine by me. Alzner goes the other way and we give them the same return they paid to get him.

Not much options out there for us. You want to sign Brodie from 30-35 and pay him Vlasic money? Krug won't sign with us.

Your best solution is to trade for a RD who hasn’t done anything but suck in a long spell, to shift our existing RD who’s been light years better than PK, over to his off side, where he doesn’t like or want to play and eat up pretty much all the cap space we have to make that happen. Does that actually seem rational to you as a viable option Habs should consider?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Your best solution is to trade for a RD who hasn’t done anything but suck in a long spell, to shift our existing RD who’s been light years better than PK, over to his off side, where he doesn’t like or want to play and eat up pretty much all the cap space we have to make that happen. Does that actually seem rational to you as a viable option Habs should consider?

This is very low risk and not that hard to accomplish. Most other moves have low probability and/or more risks. I'm proposing moves for the short term and not mortgaging the future while doing it. I'm looking a the potential options we can actually accomplish, not dream about

1) Trade Alzner, 2nd, and two grade B prospects (Olofsson and Fairbrother for example) for Subban. He only has 2 more years left and the risk are much lower than MEV. Complain about that all you want... Subban is still a solid top 4D and no, Petry moves to the LD side, not Subban. Or you can even move Subban to LD to play with Weber. What a story that would be. Subban is far from done and playing with better players than he had with the Devils will result in different production

2) Sign Kovalchuk and Crawford

3) These moves make us a stronger playoff team while we wait for the kids to mature. It all fits a $82M salary cap too! Or you can try to sign Hall and Krug where it's a dream that likely won't happen. Or trade for MEV from 34-39... so much better than Subban for 2 years eh :facepalm:. Or try and sign Brodie for 5 years at a cap hit similar to MEV.

Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Kovalchuk / Domi / Suzuki
Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Armia
Byron / Evans or Poehling / Lehkonen

Weal

Chiarot / Weber
Petry / Subban

Mete, Kulak

Price
Crawford

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
This is very low risk and not that hard to accomplish. Most other moves have low probability and/or more risks. I'm proposing moves for the short term and not mortgaging the future while doing it. I'm looking a the potential options we can actually accomplish, not dream about

1) Trade Alzner, 2nd, and two grade B prospects (Olofsson and Fairbrother for example) for Subban. He only has 2 more years left and the risk are much lower than MEV. Complain about that all you want... Subban is still a solid top 4D and no, Petry moves to the LD side, not Subban. Or you can even move Subban to LD to play with Weber. What a story that would be. Subban is far from done and playing with better players than he had with the Devils will result in different production

2) Sign Kovalchuk and Crawford

3) These moves make us a stronger playoff team while we wait for the kids to mature. It all fits a $82M salary cap too! Or you can try to sign Hall and Krug where it's a dream that likely won't happen

Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Kovalchuk / Domi / Suzuki
Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Armia
Byron / Evans or Poehling / Lehkonen

Weal

Chiarot / Weber
Petry / Subban

Mete, Kulak

Price
Crawford

Completely disagree and now you're adding Crawford who's had multiple concussions and health issues to the board too?? He's one hit away from retiring and doesn't address a solid backup who can play 20-25 games.

Sorry, we have very different definitions of risk. Trading anything for a washed up RD we don't need and who'll eat up all the cap space we have to use to actually make a difference for a washed up PK and backup makes absolutely no sense and is not only risky, it's downright silly to even suggest. I wouldn't pin my hopes on two hasbeens and tout that as a non risky solution.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Completely disagree and now you're adding Crawford who's had multiple concussions and health issues to the board too?? He's one hit away from retiring and doesn't address a solid backup who can play 20-25 games.

Sorry, we have very different definitions of risk. Trading anything for a washed up RD we don't need and who'll eat up all the cap space we have to use to actually make a difference for a washed up PK and backup makes absolutely no sense and is not only risky, it's downright silly to even suggest. I wouldn't pin my hopes on two hasbeens and tout that as a non risky solution.

Signing Crawford for one year to back up Price has very little risk. Insurance with Lindgren and Demchenko. Trading Alzner, 2nd, and two grade B's for Subban for two years is less risk than MEV for 6 more years from 34-39.

Better roster that would compete for a playoff spot and the future is not mortgage. Complain about it all you want.

What's your idea? Stay put and do nothing or dream about signing other UFA's?

Last edited:

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
For all that money spent, get a real backup. Makes a huge difference, to the Bruins and Stars, to name two teams.

We need to spend good money for a real backup, until Primeau is NHL ready. The Habs didnt have a good backup to Price since … ( i dont even remember ... Halak ) , we need someone solid to take some workload off Price's shoulders. Not only a goalie who came start his fare share of games but most important someone who will win those games.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We need to spend good money for a real backup, until Primeau is NHL ready. The Habs didnt have a good backup to Price since … ( i dont even remember ... Halak ) , we need someone solid to take some workload off Price's shoulders. Not only a goalie who came start his fare share of games but most important someone who will win those games.

Peter Budaj was the last decent back-up

Reactions: Vachon23

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Singing Crawford for one year to back up Price has very little risk. Insurance with Lindgren and Demchenko. Trading Alzner, 2nd, and two grade B's for Subban for two years is less risk than MEV for 6 more years from 34-39.

Better roster that would compete for a playoff spot and the future is not mortgage. Complain about it all you want.

What's your idea? Stay put and do nothing or dream about signing other UFA's?

Repeating it over and over doesn't make it less risky or a better idea. Why would you want to tie up $9MM in PK for any amount of time and pay for the privilege on top of it? It takes all the cap space we have and makes our D worse by shifting Petry (the better D) to his off side where he's not anywhere near as good and will undoubtedly piss him off along with the rest of the D.

I would use the assets we already have such as picks, prospects abundance of wingers and cap to address our main needs which are elite level forward, top 2 LD and size upfront. I wont get into any specific deals but I will list the assets we have vs some of the targets we might go after.

Targets:
LD:
Brodin, Fowler, Lindholm, Sergachev, Lindell, Matheson, Yandle, Krug, Hanafin, Brodie, Valamaki, Gustofsson etc.

Forwards (2):
Hall, Grandlund, Dadonov, Anderson, Toffoli, Haula, C. Smith, Mantha, Strome, Puljajarvi, Athanasiou, Kovy etc.

Backups:
Khodobin, Talbot, Greiss, Elliott

Assets:
Domi or Drouin, Byron or other bottom 6 players, multitude of picks, prospects not names Caufield, Romanov, Primeau, or 2020 1st, $10MM in cap space

The trick is to package the assets in a way as to acquire from the baskets of needs. I don't see PK as an option or a need in any situation unless Jersey wants to package him up with Hughes or Hirshier to get rid of him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Repeating it over and over doesn't make it less risky or a better idea. Why would you want to tie up $9MM in PK for any amount of time and pay for the privilege on top of it? It takes all the cap space we have and makes our D worse by shifting Petry (the better D) to his off side where he's not anywhere near as good and will undoubtedly piss him off along with the rest of the D.

I would use the assets we already have such as picks, prospects abundance of wingers and cap to address our main needs which are elite level forward, top 2 LD and size upfront. I wont get into any specific deals but I will list the assets we have vs some of the targets we might go after.

Targets:
LD:
Brodin, Fowler, Lindholm, Sergachev, Lindell, Matheson, Yandle, Krug, Hanafin, Brodie, Valamaki, Gustofsson etc.

Forwards (2):
Hall, Grandlund, Dadonov, Anderson, Toffoli, Haula, C. Smith, Mantha, Strome, Puljajarvi, Athanasiou, Kovy etc.

Backups:
Khodobin, Talbot, Greiss, Elliott

Assets:
Domi or Drouin, Byron or other bottom 6 players, multitude of picks, prospects not names Caufield, Romanov, Primeau, or 2020 1st, $10MM in cap space

The trick is to package the assets in a way as to acquire from the baskets of needs. I don't see PK as an option or a need in any situation unless Jersey wants to package him up with Hughes or Hirshier to get rid of him.

Your alternative plan is to overpay in the UFA market? Or force dream trades? My options are much more probable to accomplish and I'm not mortgaging the future. That's my point. You are trying what our GM tried over the last 8 years which won't work.

Sergachev and a 2nd for 8th OA and Mete might work. Offer sheet him? That is very risky and you would have to overpay spending all your cap space

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Your alternative plan is to overpay in the UFA market? Or force dream trades? My options are much more probable to accomplish and I'm not mortgaging the future. That's my point. You are trying what our GM tried over the last 8 years which won't work.

Sergachev and a 2nd for 8th OA and Mete might work. Offer sheet him? That is very risky and you would have to overpay spending all your cap space

You have one of the worst cases of PK blinders I've ever seen. I just listed 28 players we could target and listed the enormous amount of assets we have at our disposal to acquire some of them, and you can't get past having to pay to get a $9MM PK. A player who is washed up, not liked by the very team who got rid of him and would upset the entire D corp to accommodate him, not to mention team chemistry and this is the only option you see to improve our club. Sorry dude, but you can literally never insult or make fun of Bergevin again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad