Line Combos: Assuming Habs go big thus summer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You have one of the worst cases of PK blinders I've ever seen. I just listed 28 players we could target and listed the enormous amount of assets we have at our disposal to acquire some of them, and you can't get past having to pay to get a $9MM PK. A player who is washed up, not liked by the very team who got rid of him and would upset the entire D corp to accommodate him, not to mention team chemistry and this is the only option you see to improve our club. Sorry dude, but you can literally never insult or make fun of Bergevin again.

Nah... Not blinders. I know Subban's game well and I would expect him to be solid in a top 4D role. Not desperate to trade for him like you think I am. I do see opportunity where we can unload Alzner and take on Subban for 2 years where we don't have to mortgage the future to get him. Pretty sure their Owner would like to avoid those July bonus Subban has too! You think we can spend the cap space by forcing Krug to sign right? :laugh:

Why don't you list 40 players? I'm sure there are others you think will sign in Montreal or we can trade for? Your plan is the same as Bergevin for the last 8 years... Someone will sign or we can trade for someone? Keep dreaming

My options are much easier to accomplish than yours. That's my narrative that you are ignoring or it's going over your head.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Habs 20-21
Hall-Barzal-Gallagher
Tatar-Domi-Suzuki
Drouin-Danault-Armia
Lehkonen-Evans-Byron

Dunn-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Mete-Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

According to cap friendly, the Habs have a projected cap hit of $63.1 million in 2020-2021. With the cap staying flat at $81.5 million that leaves them with $18.4 million to spend. They still have to resign Domi and Mete, which will probably leave them with $10 million. No way they can sign Hall, Barzal, and Dunn and stay within that.

Montreal Canadiens - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Nah... Not blinders. I know Subban's game well and I would expect him to be solid in a top 4D role. Not desperate to trade for him like you think I am. I do see opportunity where we can unload Alzner and take on Subban for 2 years where we don't have to mortgage the future to get him. Pretty sure their Owner would like to avoid those July bonus Subban has too! You think we can spend the cap space by forcing Krug to sign right? :laugh:

Why don't you list 40 players? I'm sure there are others you think will sign in Montreal or we can trade for? Your plan is the same as Bergevin for the last 8 years... Someone will sign or we can trade for someone? Keep dreaming

My options are much easier to accomplish than yours. That's my narrative that you are ignoring or it's going over your head.

The only thing I'm laughing at is you wanting to trade for PK and think he'll make us better while blowing virtually all the cap space we have to make it happen and disrupting our D and team chemistry to accommodate him. That's the truly funny part :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The only way Vlasic make sense is if San Jose buy him out and we offered him a 2 years contract like they did with Briere

Agreed and doubt the Sharks do that. Vlasic from 34-39 is very scary. 1-2/3 years could provide good value but 3/4-6 years could be very very bad!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The only thing I'm laughing at is you wanting to trade to PK and think he'll make us better while blowing virtually all the cap space we have to make it happen. That's the truly funny part :laugh:

How am I blowing all the cap space? Subban - Alzner = $4.375 (for two years). We basically get Subban for $4.375M additional cap hit to play a top 4D role for us for two years. It's far from horrible like you are pretending it to be.

You rather we dream about signing someone and end up like last year and the years before? Seriously, you still on the UFA free market train to improve our team?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
How am I blowing all the cap space? Subban - Alzner = $4.375 (for two years). We basically get Subban for $4.375M additional cap hit to play a top 4D role for us for two years. It's far from horrible like you are pretending it to be.

You rather we dream about signing someone and end up like last year and the years before? Seriously, you still on the UFA free market train to improve our team?

We have about $4.5MM in cap space with Alzner in the lineup now, so yes, it would still eat up most of the available cap space we have:

Cap space notwithstanding, it's a BAD deal. I don't care if we can fit him in. He's a bad player who plays a position we don't need to fill and who is not in the least bit needed. The only reason this circular conversation is even going on is because you're an obvious PK fanboy who can't see past what he was vs what he is.

I'm done. What a useless waste of time this has been.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We have about $4.5MM in cap space with Alzner in the lineup now, so yes, it would still eat up most of the available cap space we have:

Cap space notwithstanding, it's a BAD deal. I don't care if we can fit him in. He's a bad player who plays a position we don't need to fill and who is not in the least bit needed. The only reason this circular conversation is even going on is because you're an obvious PK fanboy who can't see past what he was vs what he is.

I'm done. What a useless waste of time this has been.

I was able to trade Alzner, 2nd, two grade B's for Subban, and sign Domi, Crawford, Kovalchuk, Juulsen, Evans, and Mete and still have cap space left. Why you getting upset when I'm giving you sound logic to counter your dreams?

All fits a $82M salary cap bud.

Alzner gone: check
Improved top 4D: check
Back-up Goalie: check
Kovalchuk back: check
Domi signed: check

Show me your improved overall roster that fits a salary cap?

EYSPJiH.jpg

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
:thumbu::thumbu:
I was able to trade Alzner, 2nd, two grade B's for Subban, and sign Domi, Crawford, Kovalchuk, Juulsen, Evans, and Mete and still have cap space left. Why you getting upset when I'm giving you sound logic to counter your dreams?

EYSPJiH.jpg
Great. Super job on capfriendly building a team that sucks worse than now and has no cap space left. Super, really. :thumbu:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

EYSPJiH.jpg

The problem isn’t going to be making the cap work next season it will be in 2021-22, especially if the cap stays flat at $81.5 million (above you have it going to $84 million).

The Habs have a lot of free agents including Tatar, Danault, Gallagher, Armia, Lehkonen (rfa), Petry, and Kotkaniemi (rfa).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
:thumbu::thumbu:
Great. Super job on capfriendly building a team that sucks worse than now and has no cap space left. Super, really. :thumbu:

I showed you mine, show me yours? Check off the team need boxes like I did. Don't mortgage the future and also fit it in the cap. Good luck bud

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The problem isn’t going to be making the cap work next season it will be in 2021-22, especially if the cap stays flat at $81.5 million (above you have it going to $84 million).

The Habs have a lot of free agents including Tatar, Danault, Gallagher, Armia, Lehkonen (rfa), Petry, and Kotkaniemi (rfa).

I have the cap at just under $82M if you look harder (Top end says $84M yes). If the cap stays at $81.5M, that means we can sign Kovalchuk and Crawford for less.

The future cap will take a significant bump up. The projections before Covid-19 was $84M - $88M range. Once Covid 19 goes away, the cap is going to take a massive jump with Seattle and new TV deal. Don't see any problems there at all.... not for the Habs anyways.

NHL projects salary cap to increase to as much as $88.2 million – which teams will benefit the most? - TheHockeyNews

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I showed you mine, show me yours? Check off the team need boxes like I did.

You not only did not check any boxes, you actually took away our biggest asset in the process!

As for showing you mine, I showed a pathway to near infinite combination of trades and signings that are possible to check all the boxes we have. There are too many to list and not one of the includes the letters PK.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You not only did not check any boxes, you actually took away our biggest asset in the process!

As for showing you mine, I showed a pathway to near infinite combination of trades and signings that are possible to check all the boxes we have. There are too many to list and not one of the includes the letters PK.

Don't bother replying until you show something like I did. Something reachable and not a dream. Stop your Subban hate, move on to your ideas and get to work eh

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Only way I would trade for Vlasic is if the Sharks go full rebuild mode, accept to retain salary (at least 20%) and take Alzner contract.

Reactions: BLONG7

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I have the cap at just under $82M if you look harder (Top end says $84M yes). If the cap stays at $81.5M, that means we can sign Kovalchuk and Crawford for less.

The future cap will take a significant bump up. The projections before Covid-19 was $84M - $88M range. Once Covid 19 goes away, the cap is going to take a massive jump with Seattle and new TV deal. Don't see any problems there at all.... not for the Habs anyways.

NHL projects salary cap to increase to as much as $88.2 million – which teams will benefit the most? - TheHockeyNews

Yeah I saw that afterwards, with your cap at $82 million.

The article you have linked is from March 4 before covid-19 in North America took hold. With the amount of money the NHL is set to lose over the next couple of seasons I highly doubt it goes to $88.2 million in 2021-22. There is a very good chance it stays flat or goes up very little.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah I saw that afterwards, with your cap at $82 million.

The article you have linked is from March 4 before covid-19 in North America took hold. With the amount of money the NHL is set to lose over the next couple of seasons I highly doubt it goes to $88.2 million in 2021-22. There is a very good chance it stays flat or goes up very little.

Yes, that's why I kept it around $82M for next season. Beyond next year, it's hard to guess until Covid-19 is in the past. But the projections are what they are before Covid-19 hit us. Those projections indicate a jump and if it don't happen now, it will happen later... especially with extra revenue coming from Seattle and new US TV deal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Only way I would trade for Vlasic is if the Sharks go full rebuild mode, accept to retain salary (at least 20%) and take Alzner contract.

Still risky for the Habs. Vlasic from 34-39 at $5.6M is more risky than Alzner from 29-33 at $4.625M.

The last 3 years of Vlasic from 37-39 would be a massive risk to take. First 3 years would be decent value (34-36)

Reactions: De Montreal

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Yes, that's why I kept it around $82M for next season. Beyond next year, it's hard to guess until Covid-19 is in the past. But the projections are what they are before Covid-19 hit us. Those projections indicate a jump and if it don't happen now, it will happen later... especially with extra revenue coming from Seattle and new US TV deal.

Yes but with all the players need to be signed in 2021-22, the cap remaining at $81.5 million matters that season. Also the NHL is going to take a while to recover economically from the losses from this season and next season.

From an article on sportsnet:

The salary cap for 2020-21 should remain flat at $81.5 million, and I’d imagine it’ll stay there for 2021-22 and possibly 2022-23 as well.

Maple Leafs Mailbag: Does Lehtonen's signing put Dermott in danger? - Sportsnet.ca

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes but with all the players need to be signed in 2021-22, the cap remaining at $81.5 million matters that season. Also the NHL is going to take a while to recover economically from the losses from this season and next season.

From an article on sportsnet:

Maple Leafs Mailbag: Does Lehtonen's signing put Dermott in danger? - Sportsnet.ca

Reasonable to assume they will go with high escrow for next year and a flat cap of $81.5M. If Covid-19 drags on and they can't fill seats next season, that is an issue yes and there would have to be claw back on player salaries.

Habs are not in cap trouble. If we are, the rest of the league will be as well which means drastic changes. No need to stay overly conservative with making short term moves IMO.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Still risky for the Habs. Vlasic from 34-39 at $5.6M is more risky than Alzner from 29-33 at $4.625M.

The last 3 years of Vlasic from 37-39 would be a massive risk to take. First 3 years would be decent value (34-36)
yeah still risky, not sure I would do it. But Vlasic is still good. And he would sure be entertaining to have, one of the last player remaining in the league that speak his mind

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
yeah still risky, not sure I would do it. But Vlasic is still good. And he would sure be entertaining to have, one of the last player remaining in the league that speak his mind

Agreed... value on the ice would be solid for 1-3 years and you would have to cross your fingers he either retires at 37 or 38 or can still play in that 37-39 age range. I rather trade for Subban for two years to be honest. Another RD but Petry can play LD if required

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

EYSPJiH.jpg

PK Subban on the left side is not an improvement on anything.

Reactions: angusyoung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad