Assassin's Creed: Valhalla (Holiday 2020)

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm a bit past that also, in Cent, which is the last 130 area. I did a bit of a clean up before starting this arc, took care of some things I missed previously like a daughter, zealots, a Ragnar dreagr, and a legendary animal that I didn't do cuz my level was too low.

I try to follow the main story around the shire, if there's an area with like four things in a town, I'm probably going to go there for a mission so no need to sidetrack.

Probably a good idea. I know I cleared out a couple of forts to get a piece of armor or gear, only to realize that I couldn't possibly get them until a mission later on anyway.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I haven't looked into the cartographer at the homestead much but I know it only costs 30 silver to get one of the question mark guys to give a location of gear, ingots, etc., if you're hunting for something in a particular region.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I’m about 55 hours into the game. I think it’s a step back from Odyssey, which I thought was a masterpiece.

I loved Kassandra as a character, and the entire storyline with my family, the war, the Order, Atlantis.

Eivor, I don’t know, falls short. His character seems to lack any depth, and the story seems like the same thing over and over in terms of pledging alliances.

The AI feels dumb. I’m playing on normal difficult, as I always do, but the AI is just weak. I’m able to get them on the ground super easily and stomp them. Unless I’m facing an opponent way above my level, I find it pretty simple because of the AI.

The game does run soooo nicely on the Series X, though. 4K 60fps feels stunning. I went back to Odyssey to notice the difference and it’s crazy.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
To anybody who’s beat the game:

I just went back to Norway with Sigurd, and did the entire Tree/Valhalla stuff. Layla is gone and Basim is in current time. I entered Eivor again. We went back to Europe, Sigurd got a divorce. Is the story done, other than the Order stuff?

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
To anybody who’s beat the game:

I just went back to Norway with Sigurd, and did the entire Tree/Valhalla stuff. Layla is gone and Basim is in current time. I entered Eivor again. We went back to Europe, Sigurd got a divorce. Is the story done, other than the Order stuff?
Yes, till the DLC stuff comes out.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I'm at 85 hours and I'm in Lincolnshire...I hope I'm done by the time Mass Effect comes out lol...I'm only able to play between 5 to 15 hours a week, so a long game takes me months

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Those are rookie numbers.

Most of the side missions and wealth don’t interest me. I would do a little but definitely not full complete. Annoyingly, I didn’t get the achievement for completing the Order storyline. I guess it’s something to do with them fixing an older game-breaking bug, now the achievement doesn’t pop for anyone.

For reference, I finished at 101 hours in Odyssey after the two DLCs.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'm at 70 hours and in the 160 areas. Can't remember what they're called. Taking a break for a bit and playing something a bit lighter. I'll head back in in a couple weeks.

As for this game, I feel like the combat is a step back from Odyssey. I realize that different Ubisoft studios made these games and you can tell. This is Origins with a Viking facelift. The combat in Odyssey seemed to flow a lot better. Kassandra got into a battle rhythm late game and was unstoppable. Eivor feels pretty clunky in comparison. The abilities aren't nearly as exciting or powerful. One of the things that drove me nuts in Origins was the different types of bows. Odyssey fixed that. Now we're back to multiple types of bows

Reactions: mmalady

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
As I'm slowly heading toward the endgame I think instead of having ten or whatever shires with their own stories, they should've cut England into the three main areas: Essex, Mercia, and Northumbria. Taken maybe 25% of the story quests out, would've helped with the bloat a bit. There are decent size areas of some of the bigger shires I haven't been to.

I've enjoyed the game but I've been playing it for two months now and I want it done lol, I'm at 110 hours and I'm in Winchester with three areas left to go and I've pretty much only doing story now, no going out of the way for anything. Almost at power 400

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I'm at 70 hours and in the 160 areas. Can't remember what they're called. Taking a break for a bit and playing something a bit lighter. I'll head back in in a couple weeks.

As for this game, I feel like the combat is a step back from Odyssey. I realize that different Ubisoft studios made these games and you can tell. This is Origins with a Viking facelift. The combat in Odyssey seemed to flow a lot better. Kassandra got into a battle rhythm late game and was unstoppable. Eivor feels pretty clunky in comparison. The abilities aren't nearly as exciting or powerful. One of the things that drove me nuts in Origins was the different types of bows. Odyssey fixed that. Now we're back to multiple types of bows

I don't use any of melee powers and the only bow one I use is to destroy the breakable rock walls, Eivor is so powerful that the abilities are useless. You used three bows in Horizion but you could change types on the fly whereas this game forces you to pause to the inventory screen and swap that way...not a big deal but sort of annoying.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I don't use any of melee powers and the only bow one I use is to destroy the breakable rock walls, Eivor is so powerful that the abilities are useless. You used three bows in Horizion but you could change types on the fly whereas this game forces you to pause to the inventory screen and swap that way...not a big deal but sort of annoying.

What did you think of Odyssey's combat in comparison?

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased

It definitely flows better in Odyssey, like you said, and I used abilities like Hero Strike often, and you seemed to be in danger more, maybe tying the healing into using the adrenaline points that are used for abilities plays into that? In Valhalla they are separated and the rations are easy to fill with plants, pots, and animals to kill everywhere, the only time you felt in danger is when you happen upon a Daughter or Zealot that could take you out in two hits...but that time doesn't last that long. I guess you could forego using them at all.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

You didn’t ask me, but I thought all-around Odyssey was a much better game. I did like the smoothness of Valhalla, but I’m sure that’s mostly because it was optimized for the new consoles.

The combat was much more challenging, in a good way. I used a spear in both and in Odyssey enemies felt harder to beat, more use in dodging/blocking. In Valhalla, I never blocked, just dodged.

The skill system in Valhalla was messy. It was hard to really have any sort of plan. Odyssey nailed it. In terms of abilities, like one of the above posters said, barely even used them in Valhalla.

The story part...I much preferred Odyssey. Trying to reunite your family, during the war, with the Order pulling strings...it was great. The Order felt underwhelming and pointless in Valhalla.

Finally, the main character. I found Eivor to be pretty bland and boring, he was a hard guy to love and really care about. Kassandra was the complete opposite.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
You didn’t ask me, but I thought all-around Odyssey was a much better game. I did like the smoothness of Valhalla, but I’m sure that’s mostly because it was optimized for the new consoles.

The combat was much more challenging, in a good way. I used a spear in both and in Odyssey enemies felt harder to beat, more use in dodging/blocking. In Valhalla, I never blocked, just dodged.

The skill system in Valhalla was messy. It was hard to really have any sort of plan. Odyssey nailed it. In terms of abilities, like one of the above posters said, barely even used them in Valhalla.

The story part...I much preferred Odyssey. Trying to reunite your family, during the war, with the Order pulling strings...it was great. The Order felt underwhelming and pointless in Valhalla.

Finally, the main character. I found Eivor to be pretty bland and boring, he was a hard guy to love and really care about. Kassandra was the complete opposite.

I agree on all accounts.

A real per peeve: I can't get a decent combat photo of Eivor. I have some amazing pics of Kassandra in battle.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
1. Wraith of Druids - Valhalla’s first DLC, releases on April 29th. The story will follow Eivor to Ireland

2. I’m sure partly because of the DLC, but has anyone noticed this game is amping up the marketing again? I’m seeing ads and stuff pretty often after not seeing it since January.

3. I logged in today and finally got my achievement for defeating all members of the Order. I probably completed that in January and it finally popped for me.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
1. Wraith of Druids - Valhalla’s first DLC, releases on April 29th. The story will follow Eivor to Ireland

2. I’m sure partly because of the DLC, but has anyone noticed this game is amping up the marketing again? I’m seeing ads and stuff pretty often after not seeing it since January.

3. I logged in today and finally got my achievement for defeating all members of the Order. I probably completed that in January and it finally popped for me.

Probably a major sale coming up soon to. Pump the advertising in time for that.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I just saw AC Valhalla available at 30$ CAD at best buy. Wow that is a great deal for those that have not played it yet.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I just saw AC Valhalla available at 30$ CAD at best buy. Wow that is a great deal for those that have not played it yet.

I bought complete uber version for like $17.00 US and have been absolutely loving it! I just wish I knew to explore all of Norway before leaving.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I bought complete uber version for like $17.00 US and have been absolutely loving it! I just wish I knew to explore all of Norway before leaving.

You can go back any time, though there are areas where you would one shotted due to the power level difference. I played it when it came out so I don't know what all they've added in terms of the combat but you really don't need to bother with stealth, just rush in and start hacking away.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Played Odyssey first and loved it logging over 100+ hours into it. Installed this one and thought it was okay, but definitely a significant step back, not to mention I get a lot of random crashes on PC, so I uninstalled it and wondering if Origins might be more worth it instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00