Assassin's Creed: Valhalla (Holiday 2020)

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Besides the combat - which is down right psychosis - AC: Origins is the AC game we all wanted. I don't think anything can ever beat AC II, but in some ways Origins is like ACII but more improved except combat (which I already complained about above).
Yeah Origins was quality and I was definitely looking forward to it. Just not enough to warrant purchasing until it was 15 dollars :p

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
desmond was awful and rightly panned at the time. I hated the modern day settings in the early AC games.
Definitely the worst part of the game. I will say that the ending in Brotherhood was really good, the real world ending that is.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
aww I liked Desmond. The first few games having the modern day stuff added a little bit more mystery to it and (at least it felt like it at the time) a an overarching grand scheme for the rest of the series. Now it just feels like they're making it up as they go along. Like it was said earlier the ending to Brotherhood blew me away with that twist.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
You can count me in on the group that liked the present day stuff. The Desmond arc through AC III (which, unlike 99.999% of other players, I really enjoyed) anyways. Never did finish Black Flag or play any of the others up until Origins. That said, started back up in anticipation of Valhalla which looks amazing and I'm about 50% through, I think, Origins and I'm not yet knowing where the Layla Hassan character is going. For those that have finished Odyssey, is the present day stuff interesting? In context of potentially skipping Odyssey and moving right to Valhalla or playing Odyssey first.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Game looks like a buggy unfinished mess, AC is the usual cashgrab copy paste, shame really what gaming has come to, i remember back when you bought games and they were actually made done before release..

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm going through AC library and I am extremely confused at Ubisoft's catalogue....I think, so let me see if I understand this right...

- AC II
- AC: Brotherhood
- AC: Revelation
If I remember correctly, they all follow Enzo but it has been a long time. Are all of them full-length games because I swear I thought Brotherhood was more of an expansion than a true sequel?

- AC: III
- AC: Black Flag
I read around, but I understand that Black Flags is technically ACIV even if each game is severely different in types of gameplay. I haven't played either of them, but I think both have the same protagonist correct? And do both of them finish the Desmond arc or is that solely AC III?

- AC: Unity
- AC: Rogue
- AC: Syndicate
Okay, so with some background information I take it that these three are trio I think...or at least a duo with Unity and Rogue being released on the same day. Unity is during French Revolution, Rogue is in the same time frame though in the eyes of a Templar correct? Then Syndicate is some unknown protagonist - or is it many protagonists as the name hints? - which takes place in during Victoria Era Britain. I haven't played any of them.

- AC: Origins
Stand-alone game where I am currently trying to figure out who the Crocodile is. To me it seems like a prequel for the Templar Order upon the founding of The Ancients, that takes place as the villains in the rest of the AC series.

- AC: Odyssey
Stand-alone game that I haven't played, but read that it's similar to AC I and AC II where Origins discovers the gameplay and Odyssey fixes all the issues to create a pretty close masterpiece. Who's the protagonist in this one?

- AC: Valhalla
Next stand-alone game I reckon?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm going through AC library and I am extremely confused at Ubisoft's catalogue....I think, so let me see if I understand this right...

- AC II
- AC: Brotherhood
- AC: Revelation
If I remember correctly, they all follow Enzo but it has been a long time. Are all of them full-length games because I swear I thought Brotherhood was more of an expansion than a true sequel?

- AC: III
- AC: Black Flag
I read around, but I understand that Black Flags is technically ACIV even if each game is severely different in types of gameplay. I haven't played either of them, but I think both have the same protagonist correct? And do both of them finish the Desmond arc or is that solely AC III?

- AC: Unity
- AC: Rogue
- AC: Syndicate
Okay, so with some background information I take it that these three are trio I think...or at least a duo with Unity and Rogue being released on the same day. Unity is during French Revolution, Rogue is in the same time frame though in the eyes of a Templar correct? Then Syndicate is some unknown protagonist - or is it many protagonists as the name hints? - which takes place in during Victoria Era Britain. I haven't played any of them.

- AC: Origins
Stand-alone game where I am currently trying to figure out who the Crocodile is. To me it seems like a prequel for the Templar Order upon the founding of The Ancients, that takes place as the villains in the rest of the AC series.

- AC: Odyssey
Stand-alone game that I haven't played, but read that it's similar to AC I and AC II where Origins discovers the gameplay and Odyssey fixes all the issues to create a pretty close masterpiece. Who's the protagonist in this one?

- AC: Valhalla
Next stand-alone game I reckon?

1. ACII, Brotherhood and Revelations is the Ezio trilogy and they are full on sequels. Revelations was shorter than the previous two, but was also full on game.

2. I'd group ACIII, Black Flag, Rogue and Unity together and leave syndicate separate. The events in those 4 games tie directly between each other. So in terms of events it goes Black Flag->Rogue-> ACIII->Unity with those last 3 games having overlapping timelines. There's events in Rogue which heavily impacts the story in both ACIII and Unity and answers a lot of questions. I can't answer your question about the protagonists because its pretty spoilery.

3. Syndicate I guess you could group it separate from the others. Its similar in terms of gameplay to Unity, but isn't directly tied to one game in particular. It references previous games, but nothing that impacts the storyline. Like previous games there's the usual big antagonist and you have to get through the many antagonists to get to him. Its similar to Brotherhood where you have to take retake control of the city and build up your allies. This one is actually one of my personal favorites in the series.

4. Origins and Odyssey are related in certain ways. The modern day aspect follows a new character which appears in both games and there's another relation, but I don't want to spoil anything in case you do end up playing them. They're nearly identical in terms of gameplay and combat, but Odyssey has the more of the rpg route where your decisions impact your story whereas Origins is more of the usual linear AC storyline. I wouldn't call Odyssey a masterpiece, but it does answer some lingering questions I guess.

5. Valhalla takes place in a much different timeline that they've done before so its a good guess that it could be seen as a standalone.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
You can count me in on the group that liked the present day stuff. The Desmond arc through AC III (which, unlike 99.999% of other players, I really enjoyed) anyways. Never did finish Black Flag or play any of the others up until Origins. That said, started back up in anticipation of Valhalla which looks amazing and I'm about 50% through, I think, Origins and I'm not yet knowing where the Layla Hassan character is going. For those that have finished Odyssey, is the present day stuff interesting? In context of potentially skipping Odyssey and moving right to Valhalla or playing Odyssey first.

It is interesting in Odyssey and in the DLC. The problem is that I thought the DLC's were incredibly boring and repetitive that it made me not want to finish it. I think Odyssey in itself is worth playing, but I would save your money and skip out on the dlc and just watch youtube videos to fill the rest in. But bear in mind that Odyssey is a very long game. I spent well over 100 hours in my playthrough and that's in part that it can be a grind to get all the way through.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Out tomorrow!!

Getting pretty decent reviews.

Can't wait to play this but probably have to wait a bit since i'll be too busy. Can't believe i'm finally going to get to play a Viking style game, two of my favorite shows are Vikings and The Last Kingdom :nod:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I'll get it when it goes on sale for 40 in a few months, I feel like I should pay full price though considering now much I've played Origins and Odyssey that I got for 20 apiece lol

I've only glanced at a few reviews...is there any naval combat? They said you gather resources for your settlement and your ship but don't say if there is ship battles or not.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'll get it when it goes on sale for 40 in a few months, I feel like I should pay full price though considering now much I've played Origins and Odyssey that I got for 20 apiece lol

I've only glanced at a few reviews...is there any naval combat? They said you gather resources for your settlement and your ship but don't say if there is ship battles or not.

I believe there is, but its probably not as prevalent as it was in Odyssey and that's probably just because of the setting. There's footage of the character riding a longship down rivers so I imagine there will be at some point

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My XBOX store is only showing ultimate and gold edition, I imagine I have to wait a little bit later into the day for the availability?

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
4 hours in. Love it so far. Far less to do than in Odyssey in terms of side quests, which is a good thing. Looks clean. Skills are a bit different and hidden at first. Graphics are better. Animations look a little bit stiff in combat, but it feels right.

Landscapes are beautiful.

Also while the base gameplay is still miles away from the original assassins creed, you'll get a hidden blade again and there's an early story hint, that assassins might be more involved in this one.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
4 hours in. Love it so far. Far less to do than in Odyssey in terms of side quests, which is a good thing. Looks clean. Skills are a bit different and hidden at first. Graphics are better. Animations look a little bit stiff in combat, but it feels right.

Landscapes are beautiful.

Also while the base gameplay is still miles away from the original assassins creed, you'll get a hidden blade again and there's an early story hint, that assassins might be more involved in this one.

Did you get gold or ultimate edition?

I'm still looking in the XBOX store and its showing those as the only two options and kind of mentions pre-ordering, so IDK what to do atm.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Waiting for a PS5 to grab this game so I'm guessing I won't be playing until summer 2021.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
How badly does this game bog you down with filler/sidequest stuff? Both origins and oydessy killed my interest mid playthrough with the amount of sheer garbage they threw at you to pad the game out.

Combat was enjoyable enough but by the 30 hour mark I was so done with it.

Valhalla apparently handles it better from what I've heard but I want to see what people who played it have to say

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I must admit this game might redeem AC again. They nailed it with this game.

The game is the most fun AC game to play yet and the story is more dark and gloomy than previous installment. Very impressed.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Admittedly I haven’t played an AC game in years .. maybe 5 years at least?

I played this for about 3 hours today on the Series X and it was a lot of fun.. even the story seems pretty damn good. Overall feels like a lot to do/see/explore, but not in an overwhelming way at all.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Are these deluxe packages just a few extra missions to be released and some skins to make your character look a bit different?

I'm thinking about picking it up and wondering if the base game is enough.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Are these deluxe packages just a few extra missions to be released and some skins to make your character look a bit different?

I'm thinking about picking it up and wondering if the base game is enough.

It includes the season pass, so you'll get any new released missions etc.. depends on what you like. Frankly I find these games long enough on their own and don't really need the additional stuff, or if I do, I might pick and choose the next.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Hadn't picked this game up yet but reading all the posts about how good it is... might have to get it soon lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad