Assassin's Creed: Valhalla (Holiday 2020)

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The settings for the last couple games have been amazing this one included. I just can not get into or spend my money on blatant grind fests though.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The settings for the last couple games have been amazing this one included. I just can not get into or spend my money on blatant grind fests though.

This is my issue as well.

I've always found the AC series to have interesting settings, and I've been more interested since they've included more RPG-style mechanics as of late. I was pretty pissed after I hated Unity immediately following how much I enjoyed Black Flag, and really only tuned back in since Odyssey.

And then I see they have started selling you the ability to "skip the grind" and I can't help but think they've actively made the game worse for more money, resulting in a rapid loss of interest. Even if they haven't, it's hard not to think they have.

On the bright side, Uplay still has that subscription service, right? I've been meaning to try out Anno 1800 (which looks great), so maybe I can try out both in the same month.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Holy crap, I thought I was seeing things but Magnus Brunn, who plays Cnut in The Last Kingdom, is actually a character IN this game, and he is voice acting it! The game will be straight The Last Kingdom. I seriously cannot wait to get my hands on this game.

Awesome, too bad the game isnt released now. Would make quarantine better to play this game with a re-watch of the show on concurrently

Looks fun. Does kind of feel like it's piggybacking on the recent popularity of Viking-themed fiction like... well, Vikings.

The only thing is that I don't have much hope of it returning to a more stealth-based gameplay. I'm behind on the series and haven't gotten that far into Origins yet, but I noticed even in Syndicate that they were placing less emphasis on being stealthy and, y'know, assassin-like and more on just having you waltz into combat and eviscerate as many onrushing mooks as you can in short order. And given the subject matter and the trailer focus, that seems unlikely to change this time around.

It definitely has changed quite a bit, Origins changed it to a Farcry like game which was fun, just different, the main story kill scenes, i thought, were very good. Odyssey is more straight action adventure RPG however you can spec to being stealth if thats the play style you want. You can absolutely kill everyone in a fort or do a mission without being detected. I do miss sleep and poison darts tho... I think the change was because you are in such a massive map now and there arent the crowded streets of Rome

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Looks like there are some spoilers in the second video (The Wedding section)

The trailer looked good, but the gameplay didn't impress me. Combat look improved, but we got a 30 minutes of gameplay and didn't get a second of stealth. Origins was good, Odyssey was fine, but I just feel like these newer games have lost the spirit of the original games.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The trailer looked good, but the gameplay didn't impress me. Combat look improved, but we got a 30 minutes of gameplay and didn't get a second of stealth. Origins was good, Odyssey was fine, but I just feel like these newer games have lost the spirit of the original games.
Agreed. Game looks fine, but pretty unremarkable. I'll probably play it years after it releases after paying like $10 for it.

Reactions: robertmac43

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Just watched a 6 minute long trailer for the game and it honestly looks amazing. Which is ironic because I was just trashing Ubisoft’s open world system in another thread.

Looks like there’s a lot to do and a lot of different ways to do it.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm an Assassin's Creed mark. So like every other game in the series, I'll be buying this day one.

It really is the only AAA 'Historical Fiction' franchise in gaming. Which is kinda crazy.

Reactions: Evilo

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I'm trying so hard to get into AC Odyssey but the fact that so many things are level barred is driving me crazy. I miss the old AC games where you could do anything in the world at anytime without worrying what level your character is.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I feel like AC will go the way of COD. Fans get tired of the same old formula, developers try some new features for a couple of years, fans like old versions better, developers go back to familiar, but different system.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
I downloaded Odyssey to play. It’s ok. As others have stated, the open world games of talk to this person, go to this point kill guys, report back - are getting very boring. I am about 3 hours in and think I’m just about done with it. Meh.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Holy I'm pumped for this one. Been a while since I felt this way about an AC game!

Please don't let me down!
Besides the combat - which is down right psychosis - AC: Origins is the AC game we all wanted. I don't think anything can ever beat AC II, but in some ways Origins is like ACII but more improved except combat (which I already complained about above).

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00