As of 2023, International hockey is dead

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Canada vs. the USSR was about the only Canada Cup game that actually mattered, the rest was just meaningless decoration that didn't seriously interest anyone.

We can for example compare the two 1987 Canada Cup games that were played in Calgary to the 1988 Olympic hockey games between the same teams in the same building (but without any NHL players):

Canada vs. Czechoslovakia
CC 8,500
OG 18,000

Sweden vs. Soviet Union
CC 3,000
OG 15,000

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canada vs. the USSR was about the only Canada Cup game that actually mattered, the rest was just meaningless decoration that didn't seriously interest anyone.

We can for example compare the two 1987 Canada Cup games that were played in Calgary to the 1988 Olympic hockey games between the same teams in the same building (but without any NHL players):

Canada vs. Czechoslovakia
CC 8,500
OG 18,000

Sweden vs. Soviet Union
CC 3,000
OG 15,000
And those games between the soviets and Canada were mostly incredible , far above any games in the olympics save maybe for the U.S Canada game in 2010, in the end that is what counts most for me, not crowd sizes.

I think the small ice rink played a big part of it, more intense, more ferocious, more battles, more physical, mix that with the skill on hand and contrasting styles of play at that time....................you got a better product.

It is what it is. The olympics have more eyes on it...........but eyes watching don't make quality.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
And those games between the soviets and Canada were mostly incredible , far above any games in the olympics save maybe for the U.S Canada game in 2010, in the end that is what counts most for me, not crowd sizes.

I think the small ice rink played a big part of it, more intense, more ferocious, more battles, more physical, mix that with the skill on hand and contrasting styles of play at that time....................you got a better product.

It is what it is. The olympics have more eyes on it...........but eyes watching don't make quality.

Canada cup was for the most part interesting because of the political situation. Which is very different now. The World cup feels, because of its irregularity (and weird teams the last time), like something that is just redundant and lost its credit. Just bring back the olympics with the best and we don't need any world or canada cup

member 305909

The old Canada cup had a cold war-vibe about it. It was east vs west. Like Rocky vs Ivan Drago.

When the Soviets lost they claimed they really didn't care about the tournament. Sour grapes.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canada cup was for the most part interesting because of the political situation. Which is very different now. The World cup feels, because of its irregularity (and weird teams the last time), like something that is just redundant and lost its credit. Just bring back the olympics with the best and we don't need any world or canada cup
The olympics just haven't rung the bell much for me, too rushed, not enough intensity, too much poor sisters standing 5 guys at the line and then forming a hedgehog box in front of the goal just trying to keep shots from the far outside on the big ice against the good teams and if the games are in China or god knows where................crazy times to watch the games for us all.

You wanna keep the olympics with NHL players? Fine, but get a proper world cup up and running to go with it, the option is needed.

I want to see the best really get nasty and go at it hard, not enough of that at the olympics thus far, too much chandelier hockey with both the olympics AND the WHC.

Last edited:

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
The olympics just haven't rung the bell much for me, too rushed, not enough intensity, too much poor sisters standing 5 guys at the line and then forming a hedgehog box in front of the goal just trying to keep shots from the far outside on the big ice against the good teams and if the games are in China or god knows where................crazy times to watch the games for us all.

You wanna keep the olympics with NHL players? Fine, but get a proper world cup up and running to go with it, the option is needed.

I want to see the best really get nasty and go at it hard, not enough of that at the olympics thus far, too much chandelier hockey with both the olympics AND the WHC.
Poor you... 2 weeks of hockey, once every 4 years... that would be so unfair to you and other fellow North Americans... my sorry european ass that follows NHL hockey as much as it can will be saluting your sacrifice :D:clap:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Poor you... 2 weeks of hockey, once every 4 years... that would be so unfair to you and other fellow North Americans... my sorry european ass that follows NHL hockey as much as it can will be saluting your sacrifice :D:clap:
That's your problem, I don't care about what your poor Euro ass has to go through to watch NHL games.

• Haha
Reactions: FrHockeyFan

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

You’re remembering the Canada Cup through rose colored glasses.

The USSR/Canada matchups were great, but the rest of the tournament was sub-par hockey relative to today. You might as well have taken a nap if it wasn’t the Soviets playing Canada.

On the contrary any one of Canada, Finland, Russia, Sweden and the US have a legitimate chance of winning in today’s landscape. Maybe also Czecia. Hockey isnt a 2 horse race anymore.

The NHL Olympics’ level of play and quality of competition is miles better than the Canada Cup’s.
Every game is meaningful these days.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

The USSR/Canada matchups were great, but the rest of the tournament was sub-par hockey relative to today. The sport was primarily a 2 horse race 40 years ago. You might as well have taken a nap if it wasn’t the Soviets playing Canada during the Canada Cups.

On the contrary any one of Canada, Finland, Russia, Sweden and the US have a legitimate chance of winning in today’s landscape. Maybe also Czecia.

The top to bottom level of play and quality of competition of todays NHL Olympics is miles better than the Canada Cup’s.
If you had a Canada Cup today all those teams could win too, it's not 1976 anymore.

That's right the U.S.S.R Canada matches were great................................. epic.

It was like a big card boxing match, you sit through the preliminaries to get to the main fight and it was well worth it as you pretty much always got the thrilla in Manilla. The olympics?..........................you are lucky if you get Holyfield- washed up ear biting tyson.

Different strokes for different folks I guess but personally I think you see through european glasses.............where everything olympic is God. Think it skewers your guys judgment a lot.

I'm always amazed at the love affair with the olympics you guys have....................that big bloated, corrupt, on the take shady as f*** carnival. Just Might be the most colossal waste of money on the planet.

All Hype, but rather short on substance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I’m
If you had a Canada Cup today all those teams could win too, it's not 1976 anymore.

That's right the U.S.S.R Canada matches were great................................. epic.

It was like a big card boxing match, you sit through the preliminaries to get to the main fight and it was well worth it as you pretty much always got the thrilla in Manilla. The olympics?..........................you are lucky if you get Holyfield- washed up ear biting tyson.

Different strokes for different folks I guess but personally I think you see through european glasses.............where everything olympic is God. Think it skewers your guys judgment a lot.

I'm always amazed at the love affair with the olympics you guys have....................that big bloated, corrupt, on the take shady as f*** carnival. Just Might be the most colossal waste of money on the planet.

All Hype, but rather short on substance.

I’m not viewing it solely through European eyes, because most Americans would agree with me.

Let us not forget the greatest American sports moment is 1980. Yep, Olympic Hockey.

Like you said, different strokes for different folks, but I think you’re seeing it through Canadian eyes only….at the exclusion of every other nationality that plays the game.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I’m

I’m not viewing it solely through European eyes, because most Americans would agree with me.

Let us not forget the greatest American sports moment is 1980. Yep, Olympic Hockey.

Like you said, different strokes for different folks, but I think you’re seeing it through Canadian eyes only….at the exclusion of every other nationality that plays the game.
Well, to be quite honest with you Zine, I wonder if anyone here (me included) is seeing it through level headed glasses. Considering all the worlds problems and the fact there are still countless millions in abject poverty who go to bed hungry every night it's probably sheer folly of us to give a damn where millionaire hockey players play games to satisfy our patriotic ardour.

It sort of makes me cringe why we give a shit so much.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Well, to be quite honest with you Zine, I wonder if anyone here (me included) is seeing it through level headed glasses. Considering all the worlds problems and the fact there are still countless millions in abject poverty who go to bed hungry every night it's probably sheer folly of us to give a damn where millionaire hockey players play games to satisfy our patriotic ardour.

That's human nature though. The typical person doesn't give a shit about millions in poverty, war, mass death.
Out of sight, out of mind.
Game on, NHL millionaires!

Only when attrocities affect people do they care. That's when countries are banned, or, more so in years past, people took to sports as a means of promoting ideals and beliefs. This led to some of the most intense games our sport has ever witnessed.

In addition to the NHL and IIHF screwing things up, fierce rivalries are what the game is lacking. But there can be no USSR/Canada level rivalry anymore because NHLers are too familiar with one another. Pure dislike of the oppostiion just doesn't exist when you're playing NHL teammates and/or friends.
It's not like football where the best players come from numerous leagues. This unfamiliarity makes it easier to view someone solely through the prism of politics.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That's human nature though. The typical person doesn't give a shit about millions in poverty, war, mass death.
Out of sight, out of mind.
Game on, NHL millionaires!

Only when attrocities affect people do they care. That's when countries are banned, or, more so in years past, people took to sports as a means of promoting ideals and beliefs. This led to some of the most intense games our sport has ever witnessed.

In addition to the NHL and IIHF screwing things up, fierce rivalries are what the game is lacking. But there can be no USSR/Canada level rivalry anymore because NHLers are too familiar with one another. Pure dislike of the oppostiion just doesn't exist when you're playing NHL teammates and/or friends.
It's not like football where the best players come from numerous leagues. This unfamiliarity makes it easier to view someone solely through the prism of politics.
Don’t the best football players almost all come from the NCAA?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He meant soccer
I see. Is there a country other than Canada where hockey is the clear number one sport and all others are a distant second? I’m thinking soccer is first everywhere or at minimum a very close second? So Canada tends to dominate the hockey tournaments and the result is almost known ahead of time.

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
I see. Is there a country other than Canada where hockey is the clear number one sport and all others are a distant second? I’m thinking soccer is first everywhere or at minimum a very close second? So Canada tends to dominate the hockey tournaments and the result is almost known ahead of time.
Finland failed to sell out Finland - Canada QF at the recent 2023 World Championships. It was mostly bored business people snoozing in the stands. While The Finnish soccer team managed to sell out Stadium 32,000 seats againt no other than San Marino !!! The worst soccer team in the world ( San Marino ) got 32,000 attendance. While QF against the best hockey country Canada only got 9,000 seats. Tells you everything. It doesn't help that Hartwall arena is rusting away by excellent KHL businesses.

I didn't watch any Finland hockey games. I don't know anyone who did. Finland isn't really a hockey country. EPO skiing is our thing. Myllylä, Kirvesniemi, Repo, Isometsä etc were all doped when they medalled in skiing.

Reactions: Fatass

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023

The USSR/Canada matchups were great, but the rest of the tournament was sub-par hockey relative to today. You might as well have taken a nap if it wasn’t the Soviets playing Canada.

On the contrary any one of Canada, Finland, Russia, Sweden and the US have a legitimate chance of winning in today’s landscape. Maybe also Czecia. Hockey isnt a 2 horse race anymore.

The NHL Olympics’ level of play and quality of competition is miles better than the Canada Cup’s.

Hockey was a 2 horse race during the Cold War period. Now it's a 5 horse race. Not much improvement.

The USSR success was due to having players training for national team games only. Their only goal was to win World/Olympic gold medals for the USSR. Finland/Canada just assembled some dudes together a few days before the tournament. The Canadians were focused on winning the Stanley Cup.

In Finland HIFK and Tappara players didn't even want to play in the national team together.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
It is far from dead, this year I finished watching Canada win both the WC and WHC, it isn't dead for Canada and it's fans anyway, feels like business as usual.
Arent you bored watching Canada beat up on everyone all the time. Snooze fest if you ask me

member 305909

You've gotta take pride in what you're good at, whatever it is.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don

Because putting your annoying ass on its place is much more important than those who are starving:(

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Because putting your annoying ass on its place is much more important than those who are starving:(
Before you post anything in reply to me learn to speak english properly, It puts a crimp in my day to have to respond even once to the pidgin vernacular.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gold Standard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad