As of 2023, International hockey is dead

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Finland has collapsing demographics. Immigrants from middle class background like Matias Maccelli, Adam Lambert, John Gibson etc are the ones interested in hockey. They have seen McDavid lighting up the NHL and think it's cool. African immigrants in Finland are not interested in hockey. They play soccer instead. They are kinda lean guys as well. You gotta be something like 190cm / 100kg to succeed. Komarov and Barkov have Russian background. Probably much more.
Oh, here we go. Here we f***ing go.

The nationalistic bullshit rears it's ugly head and belches "No, not multiculturalism!!! We are having the WRONG people enter our sacred country!!!"

I'm sorry not everyone watches hockey. I'd like more people to watch indoor football but that ain't gonna happen.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Owuya did play some pre-season games for the Leafs, they had a lot of goalies in the system at that point though.

sept-13-2011-oshawa-ontario-canada-toronto-maple-leaf-rookie-g-mark-DKA8XJ.jpg

A Swedish goalie with Ugandan and Russian roots and a rapping career on the side. Wish he had made it farther in the North American game.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

The nationalistic bullshit rears it's ugly head and belches "No, not multiculturalism!!! We are having the WRONG people enter our sacred country!!!"

I'm sorry not everyone watches hockey. I'd like more people to watch indoor football but that ain't gonna happen.
I don't know how it is in Finland but here kids from first generation or second generation immigrants are actually interested in hockey alot we just can't play because its so expensive/not worth it. So most just watch and don't participate.

Its more about income than skin color or background , in Canada at least.... Hockey fandom (like most sports) is usually passed down from parent to child.

That said I'm pretty sure hockey programs in Finland are alot better for kids that can't afford it than they are in Canada.

That poster is clearly missing the point , very whack post by him. Its like he assumes any white finish person is surely a hockey fan over a soccer fan compared to a person who's parents are from Africa lol , his post is full of prejudice. I'm sure there are plenty of white Finns who don't care about hockey either and are die hard soccer fans , just like some white Canadians don't watch hockey. Its a lot deeper than skin color or background, that dude is lost

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Oh you’re right he never made the NHL. I know about him because he was a Toronto Marlie for a little bit, very interesting character.

Ah I should have figured!

Yeah, he was something else. When he was coming through Djurgården’s system, he auditioned for Swedish Idol calling himself “Mark in the Park”, rapping for the hosts, then softly wheezed an r’n’b song for the judges, one of whom recognized him as a hockey goalie and told him to stick to hockey. It’s a rather famous clip in hockey circles.

For us Luleå fans, Owuya’s remembered for the 2011 playoff quarterfinals, where we were on the brink of a historical embarrassment, largely due to this young goalie who posted two shutouts as Djurgården rallied from 0-3 to tie the series. Luleå was looking likely to become the first Swedish team to suffer a 7-game reverse sweep, but thankfully defensive defenseman Robin Jonsson became our unlikely overtime hero.

Years later, we let go of one of the least SHL ready goalies I’ve seen (Italian national team netminder Daniel Bellissimo) and welcomed Mark Owuya to Luleå, after he’d been bouncing between the AHL and ECHL since his time with Djurgården. And once again, he was unreal, although this time for our side. I don’t remember the exact details, but I think he was close to getting three consecutive shutouts from his debut onward, with what I guess I’d call a weird technique, simply put. Was super exciting for a while, and I hoped he’d get to continue and I think he had a contract for the next season, but the club broke it for whatever reason.

I think the official reason was he’d been blocked for smoking pot, but there were also rumored that there had been something else to it than that.

Very interesting character at any rate.

Reactions: Stephen

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
I don't know how it is in Finland but here kids from first generation or second generation immigrants are actually interested in hockey alot we just can't play because its so expensive/not worth it. So most just watch and don't participate.

Its more about income than skin color or background , in Canada at least.... Hockey fandom (like most sports) is usually passed down from parent to child.

That said I'm pretty sure hockey programs in Finland are alot better for kids that can't afford it than they are in Canada.

That poster is clearly missing the point , very whack post by him. Its like he assumes any white finish person is surely a hockey fan over a soccer fan compared to a person who's parents are from Africa lol , his post is full of prejudice. I'm sure there are plenty of white Finns who don't care about hockey either and are die hard soccer fans , just like some white Canadians don't watch hockey. Its a lot deeper than skin color or background, that dude is lost

Where did I make some nationalistic racist remarks? I don't want Finland to send a team to international ice hockey bullshit. It's silly to support a team by passport. Whether they are black, white, pink, red, yellow or green men. I'm tired watching Finland-Hungary hockey games.

Finnish people watch ice hockey rather than soccer because weather. Not because we enjoy watching grown up men playing a stupid game.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
My opinion is change the calendar and hockey does not need to be a winter sport only. It can be a summer sport inside an arena. If outdoor hockey is being played in California with a 75 degree weather, I do not see why couldn't they host an arena made for ice hockey in the middle of summer? If they do allow to change from winter Olympic sport to summer, NHL will be essential in off-season and there is no concern of them participating in the Olympics. Just my 2 cents.

IMHO it's stupid to have 2 Olympics. Winter and summer Olympics. Put all sports in the same Olympics. Much simpler. Hockey could be played anytime. It's not played on frozen lakes in nature. Skiing could be roller skiing. etc. You don't need snow.
It's still 1 superteam Canada. Then lots of crappy teams: Finland, Sweden, ROC/OAR/Russia??, USA , Zcechia ...

Reactions: Summer Rose

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Where did I make some nationalistic racist remarks? I don't want Finland to send a team to international ice hockey bullshit. It's silly to support a team by passport. Whether they are black, white, pink, red, yellow or green men. I'm tired watching Finland-Hungary hockey games.

Finnish people watch ice hockey rather than soccer because weather. Not because we enjoy watching grown up men playing a stupid game.
I'd like to know where the pink, red, yellow, and green men are.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

A country can't be sacred, it is just a landmass, preposterous claim!
Multiculturalism however is sacred

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I have come to a conclusion that international hockey became such a niche sport that it is only truly cared about by the hardcore fans in a handful of countries. It’s probably on the same level as international handball nowadays as there’s ZERO exposure and any interest for the casual fans, especially in North America. And there are multiple reasons for it:

- First and foremost: NHL have not sent their players to the last 2 Olympics, making those tournaments absolutely boring and pointless.

- Gimmicky World Cup: a parody of a best on best tournament in 2016 was still interesting for fans, but clearly the made up teams and players out of shape and interest made it underwhelming, NHL cancelled it since then.

- Canada dominance: argue it or not, but Canada established itself as the main hockey power winning most of the tournaments making it less interesting to watch: last WHC is a big proof of that, Canada F rather easily coasted through the tourney and grabbed the gold

- Russia ban: hate it or not, but Russia is a top 3 hockey nation when it comes to number of fans, hockey players and money poured into the sport. Without Russia, any tournament is missing a number of rivalries, many fans, many sponsors

- WHC losing popularity among players: if you compare the rosters of 2019 and 2023 WHC, it’s entirely different tournament, very few NHLers agree to play for their country nowadays and with Russia and Belarus bans they’re replaced with lower level teams that make the tournament even less enticing for the players.

All of this can obviously change if the NHL starts participating in Olympics, Russia is back and WHC regains its popularity, but for now the international hockey is rather dead than alive
Do u spend much time in Europe watching hockey?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad