Artemi Panarin vs Auston Matthews

Who's better

• Artemi Panarin

• Auston Matthews

Results are only viewable after voting.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Right now, I think Panarin has the edge. I expect Matthews to be better soon enough.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Panarin is putting up more points playing with worse players. Matthews plays in one of the most offensively stacked teams

Its pretty clearly Panarin.
I mean Panarin has a 16.0 EVS OIS% compared to Matthews who has a 13.9 EVS OIS%, not to mention Panarin play a whole extra minute per game on the PP.
Both of those factors would have a large influence on raw point totals.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I mean Panarin has a 16.0 EVS OIS% compared to Matthews who has a 13.9 EVS OIS%, not to mention Panarin play a whole extra minute per game on the PP.
You wanna know another factor?

Panarin’s “betterness” stat is 100%.

The Rangers not having to stoop to a total gutless and gross complete purposeful tank season to get the better player is a bonus.

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
Yeah panarin is the reason for the 16% and he draws more penalties.... he’s better

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Offensively, it's pretty much a wash. Panarin is better 5on5, Matthews is better on the PP.

All around, imo, Panarin is better. He has a very active defensive game - he jumps a lot of lanes, causes takeaways, backchecks like crazy, generally hustles all over the ice.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Matthews is better but people can’t evaluate him correctly because he plays for the Leafs. I’m saying this as a Canucks fan who doesn’t like the Leafs. If Matthews played for the Rangers and Panarin for the Leafs this would be a blowout win for Matthews.

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews is better but people can’t evaluate him correctly because he plays for the Leafs. I’m saying this as a Canucks fan who doesn’t like the Leafs. If Matthews played for the Rangers and Panarin for the Leafs this would be a blowout win for Matthews.
Well said.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Auston Matthews is generational for every excuse he gets when he loses a poll.
I didn't realize that posting factual evidence to support that the gap between the players isn't nearly as big as what the raw point totals may suggest when context is applied was an excuse?
But continue to interpret my comments in any which way you please.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I don't get why Oiler fans talk shit about the Leafs, they're going to be Leaf fans in a few years when McDavid signs there.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
As an unbiased observer, I can’t stress how accurate this post is.

it’s weird to see posters from other fan bases constantly bashing the leafs, even with knowledgeable leaf fans owning them with facts that can’t be debated. I can see how irritated posters get when I believe it is Dekes for Days comes in to a thread and drops indisputable facts and stats. The “haters” typically flee in embarrassment.

Being neutral, I find it humorous that the leafs being an elite of the elite team is so upsetting to so many

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

it’s weird to see posters from other fan bases constantly bashing the leafs, even with knowledgeable leaf fans owning them with facts that can’t be debated. I can see how irritated posters get when I believe it is Dekes for Days comes in to a thread and drops indisputable facts and stats. The “haters” typically flee in embarrassment.

Being neutral, I find it humorous that the leafs being an elite of the elite team is so upsetting to so many

Dekes For Days cherry picks one beloved stat, tells people they’re wrong because they aren’t using his precious stat.

He doesn’t own f*** all.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Hmmm...this is tough.

I think I take Panarin as the better player right now, but Auston will be better very soon.

Panarin is just ridiculous. I will never forgive Lou for blowing it and not getting him inked and in orange and blue.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Panarin is better right now, he seems to be at his absolute peak as a player and on pace for 116 points. Matthews is only 22 though, we've definitely not seen his best yet.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I’m just a tad bit skeptical of this...

As a neutral observer, it’s funny to see that only leaf fans and a select few like myself used to laugh at those that said Buffalo’s rebuild was years ahead of the leafs just a couple years ago.

That didn’t age well

Only Dubas can sign a top 4 dman, on the top team in The league for the last 15+ games to an amazing contract and be criticized for it.

I’m no leaf fan, but with this type of signing, Dubas has set himself up for a big signing (Pietrangelo maybe), and we have all seen Dubas is capable of landing the big free agent fish, unlike previous leaf management

He and Keefe are looking like 1a and 1B at this point. It’s a close race this year for sure!

I'm enjoying the ride as a mere fan of hockey!

Based on the threads in the summer, fans of other teams were salivating at signing these guys to $4 million+ offer sheets. How Kyle Dubas managed to get these guys signed for like 3.2 each is nothing short of incredible.

You have 2 top 6 forwards with speed to burn and grit and tenacity in spades that put up almost low end first line production. On their own, each one world return a very very good defenceman.

As someone with absolutely no love for Toronto, Dubas got the team out of the hell Lou left him with and he has somehow improved the team while doing it. Hats off to him

A great GM and a great person. Shanahan showing once again his plan with the leafs management is rock solid. Great vision. Congrats to all leaf fans out there. As a hockey fan, the future is bright for you guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad