Value of: Artemi Panarin to Penguins

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
I'll overpay here. On Panarin. First, I don't think he gets traded this deadline as opposed to the NHL Draft. You wait until next deadline - you get nothing. So, he'll move from now until June, because he's not resigning with no service. They got no leverage and you get weak futures. This was never going to be an ideal fit. He needs a more open style of play to best utilize his skillset.

The only way I'd move Letang is if I get a superstar talent and another RD that can fill that hole. I'm not considering Hornqvist a rental but a sign and trade type deal - 6 years, $40m. Serviceable replacement plus top 6 winger is FMV. Evander Kane is not a rental either - I'd go as high as 6 years, $45m on him. I'd rather pay Evander Kane than Hornqvist, because he's a better fit and can actually make Crosby and Malkin better. Instead of Hornqvist who'll give you 50 pts no matter who he plays with, because he's just crabbing in front of the net. Panarin 8 years, $72m.

PIT trades Kris Letang, Daniel Sprong, and 2018 1st to Jackets for Artemi Panarin

PIT trades Hornqvist + Oleksiak to Jets for Jacob Trouba

PIT trades Conor Sheary, Zachary Aston-Reese, 2019 1st to BUF for Evander Kane

Why not? Go buckwild

Reactions: Ctrain2k

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Hornqvist is a UFA and Trouba is still RFA after this year. We don’t need any forwards and Olesiak is a add on we don’t need.

I counter Trouba for Lauzon a 2018 and 2019 1sts

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
Hornqvist is a UFA and Trouba is still RFA after this year. We don’t need any forwards and Olesiak is a add on we don’t need.

I counter Trouba for Lauzon a 2018 and 2019 1sts

I got Oleksiak replacing Trouba in the lineup in terms of a body. And Hornqvist agreeing to a long-term deal adding another winger to the mix. For some reason, I like Ehlers skill and Hornqvist crabbing in front of the net as a nice line

Trouba isn't worth two 1st's let alone a C prospect added to the mix

Aggie204

Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
You’re asking for our number 1 defenceman. in exchange we get what you said.... a “body”? I don’t see that value at all. Lauzon isn’t a proven commodity in the NHL, and we need a 2018 first thrown in.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Jesus Christ, that Letang trade. He MIGHT end up being just a useless boat anchor contract or retire early, but he might just stay a top pairing D for several years. You just can't trade a number one defenseman and Sprong and 1st for a winger (with a one year contract!). You just can't do that. Fans would riot.

Trouba trade is a ripoff for value for the Jets and a bad fit as well. Trouba will be traded for a left handed D or a center. Alternatively, I suppose he could go for a first line winger or top 10 pick (plus) or very very good prospect (plus).

No goalies, no non-elite wingers. If I nitpick further, the Jets also prefer a lefty winger if they settle on a winger. Wheeler Laine Armia are all righties. Ehlers Connor lefties.

Reactions: Aggie204

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
Jesus Christ, that Letang trade. He MIGHT end up being just a useless boat anchor contract or retire early, but he might just stay a top pairing D for several years. You just can't trade a number one defenseman and Sprong and 1st for a winger (with a one year contract!). You just can't do that. Fans would riot.

Trouba trade is a ripoff for value for the Jets and a bad fit as well. Trouba will be traded for a left handed D or a center. Alternatively, I suppose he could go for a first line winger or top 10 pick (plus) or very very good prospect (plus).

No goalies, no non-elite wingers. If I nitpick further, the Jets also prefer a lefty winger if they settle on a winger. Wheeler Laine Armia are all righties. Ehlers Connor lefties.

Letang has averaged 1 PPG on defense his whole career and has suffered because he's doesn't have someone to play with. Quite frankly, he's a top 5 defenseman in the league. Not too mention Sprong and a 1st. That's a clear overpay for a guy who's out the door. I'm sorry but the clock is ticking on Panarin in Columbus. You cash in your chips before you leave with pennies on the dollar.

As for the Jets, I think Hornqvist plays with Ehlers as a skill-crab combo and Armia is more of a 4th liner on a Stanley Cup team. You want four good lines and Armia is a 4th liner on a good team. Armia is your solid chip-in a few times a week kinda guy. He's nothing special. Hornqvist gives them an upgrade at wing, and Oleksiak as a big body defenseman and direct replacement for Trouba. Not as good but a serviceable replacement nonetheless.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Tell me how they're bad. Logically. Break it down. And I'll happily tell you why I disagree.
I explain in the simplest of terms then:

1) Columbus needs a center, not another defenseman. This trade makes them worse.
2) Trouba is an RFA, and a highly touted defenseman that could get a way better return from a different team. Pittsburgh just simply does not have the assets to get him, especially if you are only offering a freakin' UFA and a 7th defenseman.
3) Maybe the last one can get pulled off, but even then I believe a team could beat that offer.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Tell me how they're bad. Logically. Break it down. And I'll happily tell you why I disagree.
Why do Jets need another forward? Already a logjam, we have Connor on the fourth line, Matty P has played on the fourth line, Roslovic will probobly go back to AHL when people gets back from injuries, and now you want to squeeze in Hornqvist aswell? If Trouba goes, main piece back would be a D-man

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Letang has averaged 1 PPG on defense his whole career and has suffered because he's doesn't have someone to play with. Quite frankly, he's a top 5 defenseman in the league. Not too mention Sprong and a 1st. That's a clear overpay for a guy who's out the door. I'm sorry but the clock is ticking on Panarin in Columbus. You cash in your chips before you leave with pennies on the dollar.
I agree Columbus should take that trade and run. They can trade Savard + PIT 1ST + whatever else they want to get that center that they need, and do 2nd + prospect to bring Nash back as a rental.

Savard + Panarin + (Calvert/Sedlak?)
becomes
Letang + Nash + CENTER

I'm a Penguins fan though and it's an UGLY trade for the Pens. I'm also a Toronto fan, and I remember the Burke era. My god man, I will not abide another Kessel Trade.
As for the Jets, I think Hornqvist plays with Ehlers as a skill-crab combo
Is "crab" the new word for "Holmstrom"?

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
Why do Jets need another forward? Already a logjam, we have Connor on the fourth line, Matty P has played on the fourth line, Roslovic will probobly go back to AHL when pwoplw get back, and now you want to squeeze in Hornqvist aswell? If Trouba goes, main piece back would be a D-man

You don't NEED a winger. It might just be the kinda guy that playoff teams covet that gets those dirty goals in the playoffs. Where skill guys don't score as much bc guys will risk their face no ***** given. And then you say, oh yeah, that's why we got that guy. He's just goes in the dirty areas and finds a way to score goals no matter who he plays with.

Like I said, I like him with Ehlers as a skill-crab combo. He just parks in front of the net and is so damn scrappy he'll score goals or screen the goalie. He upgrades the winger situation, so you're a deeper team. Defensively, Oleksiak gives you flexibility as LD/RD and I would say he's a decent bottom line pairing defenseman

What I'd be thinking as Jets get ready for the playoffs? Two guys are always found on these good teams. Scrap. Leadership. He gives you both. What am I giving up? A slight downgrade to my bottom pair. No big deal.

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
I agree Columbus should take that trade and run. I'm a Penguins fan though and it's UGLY for the Pens. I'm also a Toronto fan, and I remember the Burke era. My god man, I will not abide another Kessel Trade.
Is "crab" the new word for "Holmstrom"?

You've never heard of crabbing in front of the net? No one likes crabs. They pinch, grab, and are pests in front of the net. They fight for every inch and get the cheapest damn goals

Johan Franzen "the moose" is a damn crab. I hate that guy. Swedes in general - great crabs

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Columbus deal is fair imho assuming the jackets then swap a dman for a 1C
jets deal is awful. your UFA 2nd line winger and a spare parts dman dont return trouba
pens need to add a little to kane deal. likely a better prospect than aston reese

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
You don't NEED a winger. It might just be the kinda guy that playoff teams covet that gets those dirty goals in the playoffs. Where skill guys don't score as much bc guys will risk their face no ***** given. And then you say, oh yeah, that's why we got that guy. He's just goes in the dirty areas and finds a way to score goals no matter who he plays with.

Like I said, I like him with Ehlers as a skill-crab combo. He just parks in front of the net and is so damn scrappy he'll score goals or screen the goalie. He upgrades the winger situation, so you're a deeper team. Defensively, Oleksiak gives you flexibility as LD/RD and I would say he's a decent bottom line pairing defenseman

What I'd be thinking as Jets get ready for the playoffs? Two guys are always found on these good teams. Scrap. Leadership. He gives you both. What am I giving up? A slight downgrade to my bottom pair. No big deal.
First off, we already have Oleksiak, his name is Chariot, so now we have 2 of those, so we make a massive downgrade on our top-pair who plays againt the the other teams best line. If we wanted Bagarn would not be better to trade from our riches instead?

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
Why does Columbus do this? Panarin drives our offense, without him we’d be stuck in the mud.

Columbus does this because first of all you're looking at an OEL situation in Phoenix. He is not resigning. So, it's like a dead man walking situation. You gotta get something for him and the longer you wait, the worse a deal you get.

You do it because you get a top pair, top 5 defenseman in the league. Now I'm tossing out Jones and Letang as my two top pairs with Werenski on either line and Murray on the other. Jack Johnson becomes bait or a 3rd line pair. My defense with Bob is the strongest part of my team. Daniel Sprong gives me 30 goals a year. Now, I don't know if he starts doing that next year, but he'll average 30 goals a year. He's fast and a straight sniper. The first round pick is like your cherry on top where you can trade 1st, prospect, 1st for a young center

Aggie204

Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
@thecoolkid thanks for thinking of us. But no thanks to crab man and the brother of an Olympian. We’ll keep our number one RHD from your spare parts. Your best sales pitch is an accessory to Ehlers? And a defenseman who wouldn’t crack our 3rd pair? Think about these things before you post,man.

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
Columbus deal is fair imho assuming the jackets then swap a dman for a 1C
jets deal is awful. your UFA 2nd line winger and a spare parts dman dont return trouba
pens need to add a little to kane deal. likely a better prospect than aston reese

Hornqvist is contingent on sign and trade and so is Kane. The thing about the Buffalo deal is Botterill signed Aston-Reese, and I think that would do it, because of the familiarity. Not too mention I think Aston-Reese is a worst case top 9 player.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Why not? Go buckwild

You are impressively far off making any kind of sense

It's like hockey-Dada. Kudos.

Shain_Buckwild.jpg

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
First off, we already have Oleksiak, his name is Chariot, so now we have 2 of those, so we make a massive downgrade on our top-pair who plays againt the the other teams best line. If we wanted Bagarn would not be better to trade from our riches instead?

First off, you need to get rid of Kulikov and Enstrom, because that's a waste of cap space. Tough call to take futures on Enstrom or use him for playoff run. Put Morrissey with Big Buff.

Oleksiak gives you LD/RD flexibility. Oleksiak might give me near production for $4m less. It's not neck and neck, but I can spread out that $4m and help goalie and left wing. It's like opportunity cost **** yeah - I'm getting similar production and make the rest of the team better. He can move the puck and bodies, not too mention has a lethal shot. Trim some of the fat, and, yeah, the Jets are in the penthouse for years to come.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Hornqvist is contingent on sign and trade and so is Kane. The thing about the Buffalo deal is Botterill signed Aston-Reese, and I think that would do it, because of the familiarity. Not too mention I think Aston-Reese is a worst case top 9 player.

I think he is at best a 3rd liner. and i doubt he is ever a regular NHLer (9g/29pts in 41 games as a 22 year old in the AHL is pretty meh)

I think the jets would want a top 4 LHD for Trouba. or maybe even a 2C if they dont think Little/Perrault can do it.
I dont see them looking for another winger with what they have already

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad