Player Discussion Arshdeep Bains

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Not much doubt about it....In a perfect world, the Canucks would be able to re-sign Pettersson, Hronek, Lindholm and Zadorov.

But for that to happen they'll need a bunch of guys down in the lineup earning close to the league minimum, or still on their ELC's.

So out of necessity, they'll probably be forced to ride with guys like Bains, Podkolzin, Sasson or even McWard. And with DeSmith likely gone as a UFA, they'll replace his $1.8m salary with somebody cheaper like Silovs or Tolopilo.

Next year's Canucks will be by necessity 'younger and cheaper'. So Tocchet will have his work cut out for him.

Blueger, Joshua, Lafferty will all walk and get replaced by ELC players

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’ve obviously been one of the first/biggest Bains boosters here but he’s been mediocre at best.

You can see that he knows where to be on the ice, makes good decisions when he has the puck … but he’s struggled defensively and the games have looked a little too fast for him at this point.

Needs to come back a little quicker and a little stronger for next year and maybe he has a chance to stick. Right now he’s not ready.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I honestly don't see Podkolzin as redundant, even if Bains proves he can stick. While I hope they re-sign Joshua, my guess is he'll price himself off the roster (good for him, bad for the team). In that case, their hope will be that both Podkolzin and Bains can be on the roster next October. I would not be surprised to see something like:

EP-Lindholm-Hoglander
Mikheyev/Bains/Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser
Mikheyev/Bains/Podkolzin - Suter - Garland
PDG - Aman - Mikheyev/Bains/Podkolzin

Lafferty will get a raise from somebody and Blueger is likely already too expensive to re-sign as they try to allocate money to EP, Lindholm, Hronek, Zadorov and another top 4 D-man (Tanev?). My guess is that the team will hope that all three of Bains, Hoglander, and Podkolzin can fill regular forward spots for around a total of $3M.
I mean ya need two wingers per line times four plus injures plus etc

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
We have to keep at least one of bluegar and Joshua

I'd be happy if Allvin found a way to trade Mikheyev, sign Joshua and Bluegar combined for what Mikheyev is making, let Lafferty walk and resign Lindholm at $7 - $7.5 M per. Some combination of Suter, Bains, Podz, Aman, Karlsson, PDG, Raty and Sasson would fill out the forwards.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Bains is a little bit of a chaos creator. He's the type of player that Tocchett likes because that chaos comes with a good motor and results in broken plays for the other team.
From what he's shown so far I'm pretty confident he will be an NHL regular by next year. He still needs a little more experience at this level before one can say that for sure. He has also shown some interesting offensive skills. Time will tell whether he ends up being exclusively a 4th line energy guy or a middle 6 guy with some offense.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I commented a bunch of times in Abbotsford during the 22-23 season how Bains was doing all the right things, competing hard, was in the right positions, the puck was following him around, he was trying high skill plays … but that his brain was trying things that his thin, weak body couldn’t execute and that he needed a summer to get stronger, add a bit of zip to his first step, and he was going to wreck that league. And that’s exactly what happened.

And now this year in the NHL it’s basically the same effect (or even moreso). The puck is following him around and he’s trying to do the right things, passing pretty well … but he just isn’t strong enough or explosive enough to make things come off or win the puck battles that he needs to.

Another big offseason and he might be there for next year, but he isn’t right now.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I commented a bunch of times in Abbotsford during the 22-23 season how Bains was doing all the right things, competing hard, was in the right positions, the puck was following him around, he was trying high skill plays … but that his brain was trying things that his thin, weak body couldn’t execute and that he needed a summer to get stronger, add a bit of zip to his first step, and he was going to wreck that league. And that’s exactly what happened.

And now this year in the NHL it’s basically the same effect (or even moreso). The puck is following him around and he’s trying to do the right things, passing pretty well … but he just isn’t strong enough or explosive enough to make things come off or win the puck battles that he needs to.

Another big offseason and he might be there for next year, but he isn’t right now.

You hope, and given his comments he seems to understand, that this is one of those situations where the player gets a cup of coffee and comes away from it with an understanding what they need to do to be successful at the NHL level.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You hope, and given his comments he seems to understand, that this is one of those situations where the player gets a cup of coffee and comes away from it with an understanding what they need to do to be successful at the NHL level.

He's a guy who seems to 'get it' every step of the way in terms of what he needs to do and the smarts and compete are always there, so he's the type of guy who normally overachieves and finds a way to succeed.

If you took his brain and compete and put it in Danila Klimovich's body, you'd have a superstar.

Reactions: petka and Vector

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Like I said in the GDT, this is a player that is very slighty off from being a regular NHL player. He has the brains for it, but there's just that little bit extra that he'll need to find to make the jump. This NHL stint will let him get a feel for what he needs to do this offseason to make that jump, the only question will be if he's able to unlock that or if his physical tools cap out just that little bit below what he needs them to be.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As soon as Joshua can return; and if Kessel signs as rumored, it's back to Abbotsford for Arshdeep Bains.

But I suspect his stint with the parent Canucks will do wonders for his confidence. He's not that far away, and if he can pick up half-a-step, he'll be a serious consideration for the team moving forward from training camp next season.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
It'll be very interesting to see how he does when he's back down to the AHL. This really is great timing for him. He gets a solid look at what the NHL game feels like, and he still has a good amount of hockey left to play in Abbotsford to work on stuff at an easier pace. He'll be exciting to watch at camp in the fall, and I wouldn't mind driving out for an Abby game to see him in April.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Like I said in the post game thread, he can not get separation to make a play. If he tries to get ouside he gets almost immediately driven to the corner . He tries to compensate by cutting back to the middle and stick handle through the defender but at this level NHL defenders easily knock the puck away.

Best asset is ability to scrap for the puck along the boards and feed the puck to the front of the net. Did this a few times well but needs a lot more than this to stick around at NHL the level.

Question is, can he improve speed and get their earlier on the forecheck and force the play but still get back defensively in transition.

Smart player who can do good things when he gets room to do them. ATM he just couldn't get himself the room to do much.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He's a guy who seems to 'get it' every step of the way in terms of what he needs to do and the smarts and compete are always there, so he's the type of guy who normally overachieves and finds a way to succeed.

If you took his brain and compete and put it in Danila Klimovich's body, you'd have a superstar.
His case is different than for, say, Aman. Bains plays the game well but is just a half step behind or tries a bit too much as you have said. That seems correctable.

Aman you can tell is visibly thinking on the ice AND he is a step behind. (edit: this is my Podz concern as well. Raty may fit more in the Bains camp where physically the tools weren't there yet).

Last edited:
Reactions: theguardianII

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Back to Abbotsford for Bains today. Good to see him get the experience - hope he parlays that into a strong stretch run in Abby, and makes a run at a roster spot with us next year.

Reactions: Felidae

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Agreed. A nice story but a tweener who can be used as a emergency call up.

Its insane to have him on the PP.
We was net front guy, not shooting, so he just had to dodge the puck. We could afford it if he got injured, less so if someone like Brock was net front and got hurt. That's how I read that, but yeah, it's dumb stuff like this that coaches do when stuff isn't working.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I still have hope that he can become an NHL regular. If there's one thing this kid has done, it's improve every year.

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
There is a disparity between expectations coming in and what Ive seen on the ice unfortunately.
Its going to take a lot

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad