Player Discussion Arshdeep Bains

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Looked like the ahl version of Joshua

I was just about to post something like this when I clicked into this thread!

And by AHL it's not a negative thing. Just an obviously raw version of Joshua, being Arshdeep's 1st NHL game. He had more offensive impact in this game vs the Avs than Mikheyev has had in months.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Liked what I saw tonight, lots of pace and set up some great scoring chances. Has a shot at staying above PDG and Aman in the depth chart if he keeps it up!
The group claims to want prospects to stay in the AHL until they're ready for that call-up to possibly realistically be for good.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I thought his game was certainly…eventful. I can’t remember if he got a trip with some skate on skate action but if it was it was a bit of a tacky call.

Overall, I liked what I saw. He’s stronger along the boards than say Aman and he has better offensive instincts than I thought. He didn’t look out of place at all, but there is room for improvement. Definitely looks like a player that at some point will need to be reminded to move his feet, because his game can’t thrive without that…at this stage. But who knows how much further he can improve.

I’d rate his game a B-/C+ which is more than I expected and I’d like to see more.

I was just about to post something like this when I clicked into this thread!

And by AHL it's not a negative thing. Just an obviously raw version of Joshua, being Arshdeep's 1st NHL game. He had more offensive impact in this game vs the Avs than Mikheyev has had in months.

Yeah, it’s not a diss at all and only a compliment at his age. I see quite a bit more in his game than maybe Arsh even does. He’s a smart player which is the most important asset a hockey player can have.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Bains did tonight in the NHL what he's been doing in the AHL all season. He's a force along the wall, and can gain separation and space to find somebody in the slot.

It he'd played tonight with somebody like Pettersson or Miller, instead of Blueger, he might even have scored his first NHL goal. As it was, he came close twice.

He was far more effective than Karlsson, who's already been called up twice, and actually played in a couple of games.

I don't know if he stays in the lineup for the Seattle game, or gives way to Lafferty. But he's earned a few more game in the Bigs imo.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It's so important to get guys like Bains into NHL games near the end of the season. To me his stint here is, in large part, about seeing what they have going into next year. If he shows really well it potentially becomes about what they can give up at the trade deadline. i.e. does he make a guy like Lafferty expendable who could be traded for a pick or as part of a larger deal.

They are going to have to be creative to manage the cap next year. It's good that they are learning now whether or not they think Bains, on league minimum salary, can slot into the roster.

He needs a longer look than just one game but last night he made some good steps in the right direction.

helloconga

Oct 12, 2023
Florida
This was Bains dad after he took a penelty
IMG_6673.png

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's so important to get guys like Bains into NHL games near the end of the season. To me his stint here is, in large part, about seeing what they have going into next year. If he shows really well it potentially becomes about what they can give up at the trade deadline. i.e. does he make a guy like Lafferty expendable who could be traded for a pick or as part of a larger deal.

They are going to have to be creative to manage the cap next year. It's good that they are learning now whether or not they think Bains, on league minimum salary, can slot into the roster.

He needs a longer look than just one game but last night he made some good steps in the right direction.
Team isn't trading a Lafferty before the playoffs. Always need depth going in.

Will this experience help his training/focus in terms of knowing the difference in the level of play going into his off-season training? Sure, can't hurt.

I'm fine with a couple of games to give prospects a taste, just not a fan of calling guys up and down throughout the season. Those are best left to guys outside their ELC, like Brisebois on D has been in the past 2-3 seasons.

Reactions: DarrenX

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Not sure I get the Joshua comparison. I liked a lot of what I saw of the kid but we was on for a couple goals. I don’t think any of them were egregiously his fault. His skating is slightly above average but he plays tenacious on the boards and protects the puck very well. He knows where to go on the ice in both ends and has no issue getting in someone’s way on a forecheck or a backcheck.

This is found money. Maybe he carves out a career: It won’t through lack of effort. Pull PDG or Aman in Seattle. Lafferty can play the hole adequately enough. Bump Suter off the top line and he can play the middle, pin back Lafferty’s ears. Need to give it a bit of a shake.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Every once and awhile the Canucks find a kid like this....Alex Burrows is the last one that comes to mind. And I suppose the other Burroughs as in Kyle, who found a home in Vancouver and is now an everyday player for the Sharks. Although Burroughs was actually a 7th round draft pick of the Islanders.

Coming out of the QMJHL and attending Canucks training camp as an unsigned UFA, Alex Burrows landed in the ECHL. No way in the world he was close to being an NHL player when he played for the Greenville Grrrowl (love that name); the Baton Rouge King Fish; and the Columbia Inferno.

But Burrows just kept on improving and finally clawed his way up the AHL with Manitoba Moose. From there it was an injury callup to the Canucks and after season or two of being on the bubble, he willed himself into the NHL as a regular.

That's the common denominator for guys like Burrows and Bains. They just refuse to give up. Keep on working on their games for hours in practice and eventually find there way to the NHL.

It's a great story and should be an inspiration for all kids playing junior but overlooked in the draft. You just never know.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Every once and awhile the Canucks find a kid like this....Alex Burrows is the last one that comes to mind. And I suppose the other Burroughs as in Kyle, who found a home in Vancouver and is now an everyday player for the Sharks. Although Burroughs was actually a 7th round draft pick of the Islanders.

Coming out of the QMJHL and attending Canucks training camp as an unsigned UFA, Alex Burrows landed in the ECHL. No way in the world he was close to being an NHL player when he played for the Greenville Grrrowl (love that name); the Baton Rouge King Fish; and the Columbia Inferno.

But Burrows just kept on improving and finally clawed his way up the AHL with Manitoba Moose. From there it was an injury callup to the Canucks and after season or two of being on the bubble, he willed himself into the NHL as a regular.

That's the common denominator for guys like Burrows and Bains. They just refuse to give up. Keep on working on their games for hours in practice and eventually find there way to the NHL.

It's a great story and should be an inspiration for all kids playing junior but overlooked in the draft. You just never know.
Great call out. Bains was undrafted going into the WHL...let that sink in...un drafted in the WHL and then led the LEAGUE in points. They bro went up
undrafted in the NHL and made the AHL ALL-STAR team. He is going to be a part of our lineup for years to come.

Will he become the.next Burrows that finds a niche with one of our top lines...?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Uh, what? Pretty sure that's not true. He played in the ECHL until he was spotted by Craig Heisinger of the AHL Moose. And I think he was on an AHL only contract the first year or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad