Player Discussion Arshdeep Bains

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I really like this kid, he busts his ass and you can see the talent. They need to bring him up full time to replace an expiring contract.

Uh, what? Pretty sure that's not true. He played in the ECHL until he was spotted by Craig Heisinger of the AHL Moose. And I think he was on an AHL only contract the first year or so.
Burrows is one of the unlikliest success stories of all time. He was a f***ing ball hockey player and scored arguably the franchise's most important goal in its history.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Uh, what? Pretty sure that's not true. He played in the ECHL until he was spotted by Craig Heisinger of the AHL Moose. And I think he was on an AHL only contract the first year or so.
The reason I remember Burrows being at a Canucks training camp was that it was the same year the Canucks held some of their camp at the old White Rock Arena.

And much ballyhooed prospect Kiril Koltsov was making his Canucks debut.....and I trekked out there to see him......but can't remember the year.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
The reason I remember Burrows being at a Canucks training camp was that it was the same year the Canucks held some of their camp at the old White Rock Arena.

And much ballyhooed prospect Kiril Koltsov was making his Canucks debut.....and I trekked out there to see him......but can't remember the year.
2005 maybe?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Likely 03/04. First year Koltsov played for the Moose. Burrows played a couple of games for the Moose but spent most of that year in the ECHL.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
If he gives us a few more games where he looks good and is involved in some chances.... it means that management will see Podkolzin as very redundant.
Raty is only 21 and a big body - center so likely very safe. BUT Podz is a winger and i think if Bains shows better than Podz , they'll consider Podz a trade-chip that they are very willing to move.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Bains looked tenacious and I was pleasantly surprised that he found Bleuger for a couple of good looks. You need players in the bottom six that can create offense from time to time.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought his skating looked a little clunky. He looked a bit slow to pivot and react to play moving around the ice. I wouldn't say his skating is going to keep him from making the NHL but it looks like the low hanging fruit if he wants to level up his game.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I honestly don't see Podkolzin as redundant, even if Bains proves he can stick. While I hope they re-sign Joshua, my guess is he'll price himself off the roster (good for him, bad for the team). In that case, their hope will be that both Podkolzin and Bains can be on the roster next October. I would not be surprised to see something like:

EP-Lindholm-Hoglander
Mikheyev/Bains/Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser
Mikheyev/Bains/Podkolzin - Suter - Garland
PDG - Aman - Mikheyev/Bains/Podkolzin

Lafferty will get a raise from somebody and Blueger is likely already too expensive to re-sign as they try to allocate money to EP, Lindholm, Hronek, Zadorov and another top 4 D-man (Tanev?). My guess is that the team will hope that all three of Bains, Hoglander, and Podkolzin can fill regular forward spots for around a total of $3M.

Reactions: MarkMM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I honestly don't see Podkolzin as redundant, even if Bains proves he can stick. While I hope they re-sign Joshua, my guess is he'll price himself off the roster (good for him, bad for the team). In that case, their hope will be that both Podkolzin and Bains can be on the roster next October. I would not be surprised to see something like:

EP-Lindholm-Hoglander
Mikheyev/Bains/Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser
Mikheyev/Bains/Podkolzin - Suter - Garland
PDG - Aman - Mikheyev/Bains/Podkolzin

Lafferty will get a raise from somebody and Blueger is likely already too expensive to re-sign as they try to allocate money to EP, Lindholm, Hronek, Zadorov and another top 4 D-man (Tanev?). My guess is that the team will hope that all three of Bains, Hoglander, and Podkolzin can fill regular forward spots for around a total of $3M.
Not much doubt about it....In a perfect world, the Canucks would be able to re-sign Pettersson, Hronek, Lindholm and Zadorov.

But for that to happen they'll need a bunch of guys down in the lineup earning close to the league minimum, or still on their ELC's.

So out of necessity, they'll probably be forced to ride with guys like Bains, Podkolzin, Sasson or even McWard. And with DeSmith likely gone as a UFA, they'll replace his $1.8m salary with somebody cheaper like Silovs or Tolopilo.

Next year's Canucks will be by necessity 'younger and cheaper'. So Tocchet will have his work cut out for him.

Reactions: MarkMM and iceburg

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Not much doubt about it....In a perfect world, the Canucks would be able to re-sign Pettersson, Hronek, Lindholm and Zadorov.

But for that to happen they'll need a bunch of guys down in the lineup earning close to the league minimum, or still on their ELC's.

So out of necessity, they'll probably be forced to ride with guys like Bains, Podkolzin, Sasson or even McWard. And with DeSmith likely gone as a UFA, they'll replace his $1.8m salary with somebody cheaper like Silovs or Tolopilo.

Next year's Canucks will be by necessity 'younger and cheaper'. So Tocchet will have his work cut out for him.
Exactly. I can see one of the Abby goalies, likely Silovs, making the roster.

Reactions: MarkMM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
if podkolzin is ready for a callup, that’s exactly the kind of player we could really use right now
I'm on board with this.....Bains and Podkolzin had such chemistry together in Abby.....maybe they could replicate it at the NHL-level. Maybe throw Lindholm into the middle to how the line might work out.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
He’s certainly a smart player but I wonder if his skating is good enough to play in the middle 6 in the nhl. Hoping for the best- it’s been a terrific story so far

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Burrows aged out of the Q after the 01-02 season. The 02 camp was in Kamloops. 03 was apparently in Vernon. 04 there was no camp. By 05-06 Koltsov was back in Russia. Burrows signed with the Moose October 2003.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Burrows aged out of the Q after the 01-02 season. The 02 camp was in Kamloops. 03 was apparently in Vernon. 04 there was no camp. By 05-06 Koltsov was back in Russia. Burrows signed with the Moose October 2003.

There were definitely prospects camps in the lower mainland in the early 2000s. I remember Burrows scoring something like 4 goals and 10 points in two prospect inter squad games, and being shocked that we didn’t sign him to a deal and instead he ended up with our ECHL affiliate. That must have been 2002 or 2003.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
There were definitely prospects camps in the lower mainland in the early 2000s. I remember Burrows scoring something like 4 goals and 10 points in two prospect inter squad games, and being shocked that we didn’t sign him to a deal and instead he ended up with our ECHL affiliate. That must have been 2002 or 2003.
Yeah, I believe he went to prospect camp in 03 when the Moose were looking to sign him. IIRC, the team tended to invite Heisinger's guys.

I don't think it would have been 2002, as he was at the Islanders' camp that year.

Reactions: Bubbles

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yeah, I believe he went to prospect camp in 03 when the Moose were looking to sign him. IIRC, the team tended to invite Heisinger's guys.

I don't think it would have been 2002, as he was at the Islanders' camp that year.

I agree I think it was 2003. I met Heisinger a bunch of times at that camp. He was super friendly and very willing to chat. He had / has a good eye for talent.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Still feel like Bains will likely settle in as a 3rd liner at best at the NHL level, his skillset screams Bottom 6 grinder that can contribute points through hard work and tenacity, but that's still a very valuable player and I'm very happy for him, glad that he has played well so far even though he hasn't made it on the scoresheet yet. If he can carve out a career as a middle 6 player it'll be an amazing story.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's great that Bains is getting experience in these intense, playoff-like games. They're going to need him to step up next season.

Every game the kid makes one or two slick plays along the wall.....a bit snakebitten right now.....but you can see the offensive skill-set and his defensive awareness. Always makes the simple play out of his own zone.

Bains is looking like 'found money' for the Canucks.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
If he gives us a few more games where he looks good and is involved in some chances.... it means that management will see Podkolzin as very redundant.
Raty is only 21 and a big body - center so likely very safe. BUT Podz is a winger and i think if Bains shows better than Podz , they'll consider Podz a trade-chip that they are very willing to move.
Podz and the 2025 first or 2nd is decent trade capital

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad