Waived: Arron Asham and Martin Biron (10/20: Biron announces his retirement on Twitter)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I always felt Biron kind of was dealt a ****** hand. He didn't even get to play much in camp, 30 minutes here and there. Then he was thrown into the fire.

He gets paid well enough for it, but tough situation never-the-less.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No insider stuff here, but I could see us signing both Prospal and Bryz for cheap, dumping Pyatt (for Tootoo??) and eventually bringing up one of Haley or Mashinter. Talbot and Miller might be temporary callups first

Haha, Bryz would be an interesting option, would certainly create an interesting situation if nothing else with Hank being an UFA etc.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Re Pyatt, Pouliot, Dorsett, Asham, Zucc, Fast, Miller, Lindberg, Kreider and co., we currently have a ton of guys that also are dealt a ****** hand.

There are 30 teams in this league, 600 players, and we got a cap in place and a low UFA age. All teams are built more or less the same way, a group of core players that gets the job done and guys who manage to fit in and by brining it in certain specific areas gives you a more or less complete team.

Our kids and the depth players we have had are without any single doubt in the later group, the vets aren't able and the kids aren't ready to be core players and get the job done by themselves.

BUT, our core isn't getting the job done either. And as a rule in this league, when the core isn't getting the job done the depth guys without any doubt are lost. It doesn't matter if its Pouliot/Pyatt or Fast/Miller/Lindberg/Kreider, it is 100% unreasonable to expect these guys to step into a unit that is not working and fix it.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Biron is 36 years old. This is probably his last season in the NHL. Asham is 35. Its probably his last season in the NHL too. Players in their age group had trouble getting NHL contracts this summer.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
This strikes me as more of a shot across the bow of this team. I think management wants them to realize that if they don't pick it up ASAP they could be next. Biron was a good lockeroom guy apparently and probably felt his spot was safe. Now he wasn't good, but again... He not the reason this team has flat out sucked all season (including pre)

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
One thing I am sure of is that the leash will be short, as NYR will not be patient with Talbot if he falters.

NYR have tried to get backups in the past, they put name in for CuJo one year and traded for Alex Auld another. If Talbot has 2-3 bad games, I could see us making a move for someone more proven. He will have a lot of pressure to perform here.

IIRC they claimed Auld off of waivers.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

sad to see Biron go down like this. He must be done cause there are some crappy backups out there.

I guess he goes down and its depth for the rest of the yr. Talbot does deserve a shot

likely the end of the line for Asham too. Man this team has too many blah guys

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I wonder if a team like Edmonton would rather trade a player like Eager who they waived for Biron than just pick him up. May be a trade in the next day or so.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
multiple twitter reports, from Andrew Gross, and others have said the Rangers will give Biron some time to decide what he would like to do, report to Hartford or not.

I think this is classy move by the organization to do that.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
A bit shocked that Biron cleared.

No one wants to take on a contract right now. That is why I think a trade is more likely and Biron is not open to re-entry because they aren't there anymore. If a team trades for him, they just bring him back up.

Edmonton waived Eager. He makes less than Biron. Contract for contract. The Rangers save on cap space and get another gritty player who could be used in an emergency (albeit, I hope they don't). UFA at years end. Marty gets to play in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad