TSN: Arpon Basu on Bergevin's presser.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Ha, that's a Dr. Phil staple: "You can't change what you don't acknowledge." Well put.

I can imagine how they concocted the "Attitude" theme for their PC.
  1. Let's create a label.
  2. Attach problems to the label that cannot be quantified or clearly ascertained.
  3. Blame the label.
  4. Distance yourself from the label.
  5. Offer yourself as the savior of the problems evoked by the label.
Crisis management diversion scenario par excellence.

Talk about hitting the nail on the head.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Ha, that's a Dr. Phil staple: "You can't change what you don't acknowledge." Well put.

I can imagine how they concocted the "Attitude" theme for their PC.
  1. Let's create a label.
  2. Attach problems to the label that cannot be quantified or clearly ascertained.
  3. Blame the label.
  4. Distance yourself from the label.
  5. Offer yourself as the savior of the problems evoked by the label.
Crisis management diversion scenario par excellence.

The only relatively encouraging sign was Molson correcting bergevin a few times. I also wonder if Molson is forcing Bergevin to go to all of these different media outlets. Hopefully the leash has shortened to a stranglehold if Bergy is still in his position.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
And how much more money has he lost paying Bergevin's friends ?

He has millions locked up on Therrien, Julien and Muller next year.

Most of his friends just got extensions, Molson would have to pay 40 - 50 million if everyone who deserved it was fired.

Essentially, with managements contracts and Weber/Price on awful deals, we're not looking at any sort of good outcome in the next few years.
Muller can stay. Julien I think can stay too. Daigneault/Lefebvre/Lacroix can all go

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
If not firing your GM means another wasted year, is it worth it? Plus all the moves he may make that takess the ball back even further.

I'd consider reassigning him to scouting (he'd be an expensive scout, I concur) and try and get another team to take him on, maybe the Hawks.

Of course, it's all too easy for us, it's not our money. However, if you're playing at Molson's level, there are a lot of levers you can play with, in order to cushion the blows, which leads me to believe it's not just money that's keeping Bergevin in place.
He might be OK at locating some diamonds in the rough, like byron. Scouting might be a better place for him. As long as it doesn't inlclude juniors, centers, or dmen.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’ve noticed that Bergevin says “it’s on me to fix” much more than “I’ve made the mess”.

I’m thinking synergy is next year’s buzzword. Maybe we could have a pool.

I never thought he'd go for "attitude" as this end of season's buzzword. To me, it's just an attribute of character, so he's just recycling.

Nor did I anticipate Geoff's improved food and beverage pitch -- something you'd make when all else is going well.

Next buzzline to come out of MB will be "I didn't see it coming" -- he's so full of himself that he can't see how there is anything he could do that could lead to him getting canned.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Personally not a fan or Arpon. Sorry guys. He's agressive on social media but a puss during press conferences.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Personally not a fan or Arpon. Sorry guys. He's agressive on social media but a puss during press conferences.

Sorry to hear that. Funny the stuff someone may miss. There is no place for that. We already had to put up with a failed Hab ex-scout mangler who parlayed 3 months of part-time scouting into the type of self-aggrandizement that involves disrespecting anyone who has a different opinion than he does. I thought we had already seen that record play. How much worse can Basu really be?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Sorry to hear that. Funny the stuff someone may miss. There is no place for that. We already had to put up with a failed Hab ex-scout mangler who parlayed 3 months of part-time scouting into the type of self-aggrandizement that involves disrespecting anyone who has a different opinion than he does. I thought we had already seen that record play. How much worse can Basu really be?

He's really not bad at all? :huh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's really not bad at all? :huh:

I hope you're referring to Basu and not the fake scout mangler. :laugh:

Look at what a year spent with the fake scout, did to Brian Wilde ...

28149r.jpg

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
IMO, Molson just thinks that the way MB (and the PR team) have transmitted the info needs to be corrected, that is why he stepped in on some questions in the PC. IMO, it has nothing to do with a shorter leash.

Molson added in the presser that he wants the Habs to explain some moves better and I think people (Basu inclued) only have wishfull thinking when they "think" Molson is "trying" to say something else then what he is saying.

Not sure if it was to Basu or elsewhere, but Molson did say that the decision to trade PK Subban was made months before the deal went down.

I'm surprised no one has made as big a deal about it as i thought they would.

Is this what he meant by being more transparent. Once PK was gone, this information could have been given. Why wait 21 months?

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Not sure if it was to Basu or elsewhere, but Molson did say that the decision to trade PK Subban was made months before the deal went down.

I'm surprised no one has made as big a deal about it as i thought they would.

Is this what he meant by being more transparent. Once PK was gone, this information could have been given. Why wait 21 months?

Cantin.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Yeah Bergevin likes to talk about 103 points last season, but as you said, failed to mention firing the coach. In addition, I think most of us on here, and fans in general, correctly predicted that team would fall victim to an early playoff exit. It was that obvious.

Not to mention a very worrisome 25 game streak of potentially the worst hockey in franchise history. The team straight up said they had no identity....If it weren't for getting all the bounces to start the season they wouldn't have made the playoffs. It's been 3 seasons where the team is trending downward in terms of quality of play, right as Bergevin's team started taking its shape. I can't ignore this correlation, there is too much causation here to say it's unrelated.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad