TSN: Arpon Basu on Bergevin's presser.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah, the "trades are hard" excuse isn't going to wash, and even if you grant MB the premise that trades actually are, in fact, hard, it's still not a valid excuse. He may not have been a GM before but he'd been around in Chicago's front office long enough to know that this kind of job isn't easy (although I admit it's probably a bit easier in Chicago, a city that, unlike Montreal, players actually want to go to) The bottom line is this: he wanted the job. He interviewed for the job. He got the job. Now he needs to stop whining about how tough things are and just DO the damn job.

You need a #1 center, Marc. You've needed one since Day One. Friggin' find one and sign him. Now. I'm not saying it won't be hard; I'm saying that I don't care if it is or not. Just friggin' do it or quit so that we can hire someone who will.

Unfortunately, Marc Bergevin's most convincing presentation was the one when he pitched his services to Molson and Savard. He should have bottled the recipe and used it in his trade talks.

And the second most convincing pitch that Bergevin undertook, was the one that caused him to notch an outlandish contractual extension. Bergevin's agent should be the one running the Habs.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No, you're talking about it being redundant.
Not redundant - pointless.

I'm saying he's being disingenuous. He says it's his responsibility but have you heard him admitting to any mistake at the PC.
Yes lol several times.

But you have to be willing to be receptive in order to notice I guess...which is kind of my point, I don't think anyone cares about him taking responsibility, we all know who is responsible.

You're not looking for accountability, you're looking for change.

The players' attitude was bad from day one yet he doesn't admit to getting those players or to doing anything about it in September. If he saw the attitude was bad why didn't he resolve it when he saw it. Now he wants us to believe he'll fix it. A year later
You need to hear Bergevin to admit he acquired those players, to know he acquired those players?

The team needs two top centers but it's not his fault. Very few centers are moved. When you point out that a crapload of centers have been moved in the league since he took over he deflects your response by asking you to name them so he can give you excuses for each name you present.
Can't say I disagree there.

You want to go on with more examples of him not taking responsibility. And when he says the buck stops with him he's not admiting most of what happened is his to own, he's telling you he's the big man who is going to resolve the problem. He's the hero who is going to come in and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. He's an effing poseur.
I don't need Bergevin's comments interpreted...it's all hot air to me, I really don't care what he says at this point. I also don't need him to tell me it's fault, I know it's his fault.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't need MB to accept blame for the problem. I just need the problem to get fixed. If he fixes it and demands to be recognized as the guy who fixed it, fine. Again I don't care so long as it gets fixed. There's a difference between blame and responsibility but people in positions of authority often have to accept responsibility for things which aren't necessarily their personal fault. That's why they get paid the big bucks, after all.

As a GM, perhaps not everything bad that's happened is MB's fault but everything is his responsibility to address and correct. The fact that he may not be directly to blame for some of it doesn't matter.

Molson, as team owner, doesn't score goals, block shots or decide on line combinations so it isn't his fault that the team didn't win. But he is still responsible for every decision his GM and coach make because he's the guy who hired them.

Neither Bergevin nor Molson (nor Julien, for that matter) made all of the mess. But it is on them to clean up that mess.
No one is talking about blame. We're talking about admitting to mistakes.

The first step in resolving a mistake is to admit that one was made. I have yet to hear Bergevin say he made any mistakes. That tells me nothing is getting fixed next season. Oh, we'll see lots of movement - moves like Streit, Hemsky, the booting of Radulov, Markov but nothing that will resolve the weahnesses of this club.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We are screwed next year. Face facts.
-We are not getting Tavares
-Less than 10% getting Dahlin
-Pleks is coming back to be the offensive saviour
-We still have Alzner, Benn, Schlemko on D which is disastrous

Our only true hope now is Price returns to all world and forces us into the playoffs but look at his true #'s the last 2 years and they are bad. Bottom half of starters in the league. So that would be another miracle.

Price is an easy target for opposing teams. He's the link from where the house of cards collapses. All it takes is a high shot to his mask, which almost any NHL player is capable of. Plus, everyone knows that Price's teammates will leave him fending for himself when opposing players accidentally on purpose run him down.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Yes lol several times.

But you have to be willing to be receptive in order to notice I guess...which is kind of my point, I don't think anyone cares about him taking responsibility, we all know who is responsible.
Give us three mistakes he admitted to making.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Give us three mistakes he admitted to making.
I listed a couple at the request of someone else earlier...but I don't know why I'd be responsible for providing that.

Did you listen press conference in its entirety?

If yes, then i'm not quite sure how you missed the MULTIPLE times he took accountability/responsibility for certain things.

The press conference is available online everywhere...i'm sure you can listen to it again.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I listed a couple at the request of someone else earlier...but I don't know why I'd be responsible for providing that.

Did you listen press conference in its entirety?

If yes, then i'm not quite sure how you missed the MULTIPLE times he took accountability/responsibility for certain things.

The press conference is available online everywhere...i'm sure you can listen to it again.

Maybe you should go listen to it again.

Taking accountability and acknowledging mistakes are not the same thing. You said he admitted to mistakes. He didn't. Example this attitude BS story. He admitted it's his responsibility to clean it up but he never admitted to getting the players with a bad attitude and he never admitted to sitting on his hands when he first noticed the "attitude problem" back in September. Another example it's a janitor's responsibility to clean up the garbage on a bathroom floor but if he doesn't admit that he continuously forgets to empty out the garbage bag the bathroom is always going to be full of litter.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Maybe you should go listen to it again.
I did

Taking accountability and acknowledging mistakes are not the same thing. You said he admitted to mistakes. He didn't
It's not?

Oddly enough, responsibility is a synonym of accountability.

It's literally the same thing - you'd be better off just admitting you don't care about him being accountable or responsible, since you already know he's accountable and responsible for the teams performance this year.

Example this attitude BS story. He admitted it's his responsibility to clean it up but he never admitted to getting the players with a bad attitude and he never admitted to sitting on his hands when he first noticed the "attitude problem" back in September.
Actually he did...when Réjean Tremblay called him out specifically for repeating "attitude", Tremblay told Bergevin that he's the GM and if the attitude was bad, that it was on him. Here is the exchange, word for word

RJ: "Marc, créer une attitude, a moins que je me trompe, c'est le Directeur Générale, c'est le coach et les adjoints...c'est quoi ta part , c'est quoi la part du coach, c'est quoi la part des autres, qui ont raté cette attitude la?"
MB: "Raté? Ecoute, je prends les responsabilité dans ca, ta raison, comme Directeur Générale ca tombe sur mes épaules."

I hope you speak/read french...

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The knives are starting to come out more and more. I honestly believe Bergevin would've been fired by now if he didn't get that long extension. Molson knows it's a sunk cost and has to deal with it for at least another year.

Does anyone honestly believe this?

If Bergevin still has a job it's because Molson believes he can turn things around. It's NOT because he doesn't want to pay double salary for a new gm.

Bergevin's salary is peanuts compared to the amount of money lost to the Habs for under-performing the way they did this year.

Reactions: zeeto

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I did

It's not?

Oddly enough, responsibility is a synonym of accountability.

It's literally the same thing - you'd be better off just admitting you don't care about him being accountable or responsible, since you already know he's accountable and responsible for the teams performance this year.
Are you arguing with yourself or some make believe person from your imagination. I never said accountability and responsibility are not the same. Funny you quoted exactly what I said and then went on to misrepresent the quote. Un****ingbelieveable. I said taking accountability and acknowledging mistakes are not the same thing. If you don't believe me go to your post where you quoted me.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
RJ: "Marc, créer une attitude, a moins que je me trompe, c'est le Directeur Générale, c'est le coach et les adjoints...c'est quoi ta part , c'est quoi la part du coach, c'est quoi la part des autres, qui ont raté cette attitude la?"
MB: "Raté? Ecoute, je prends les responsabilité dans ca, ta raison, comme Directeur Générale ca tombe sur mes épaules."

I hope you speak/read french...
I'm from Montreal. Yes, I read and speak French. You might want to take a refresher course in French comprehension. In that quote he as the GM takes responsibilty BUT he doesn't admit to having made any mistakes. The responsibility falls on his shoulders. In other words he didn't do anything wrong but it happened on his watch so it falls on him. What mistake did he admit to? Taking the GM job? Collecting 2 to 4.5 mil a year?

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Price is an easy target for opposing teams. He's the link from where the house of cards collapses. All it takes is a high shot to his mask, which almost any NHL player is capable of. Plus, everyone knows that Price's teammates will leave him fending for himself when opposing players accidentally on purpose run him down.
It's really too bad...what's the point of having the slowest D in the past 10 years of the league if they can't stick up for the goalie? Benn, Schlemko, Alzner... even Weber when he plays isn't as physical as he was.

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
Is a very good year, a year in which you have to fire a coach to stop a gigantic spiral like the one you had the previous year?

Trying to say last year was a very good year when they had to fire a coach.. I find that to be a stretch. It's two terrible years and a bad year in the last three, with the year before the collapse being a good year only because of Price's ridiculousness.
Yeah Bergevin likes to talk about 103 points last season, but as you said, failed to mention firing the coach. In addition, I think most of us on here, and fans in general, correctly predicted that team would fall victim to an early playoff exit. It was that obvious.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Are you arguing with yourself or some make believe person from your imagination. I never said accountability and responsibility are not the same. Funny you quoted exactly what I said and then went on to misrepresent the quote. Un****ingbelieveable. I said taking accountability and acknowledging mistakes are not the same thing. If you don't believe me go to your post where you quoted me.
My mistake...understand I'm multi-tasking at work and probably just read that too quickly.

Settle down

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm from Montreal. Yes, I read and speak French. You might want to take a refresher course in French comprehension. In that quote he as the GM takes responsibilty BUT he doesn't admit to having made any mistakes. The responsibility falls on his shoulders. In other words he didn't do anything wrong but it happened on his watch so it falls on him. What mistake did he admit to? Taking the GM job? Collecting 2 to 4.5 mil a year?
Huh? Lol

Tremblay literally asked him about the attitude he kept referring too and said as the GM, doesn't it fall on his shoulders.

And MB responded yes, as the GM, the attitude of his players falls on him.

I don't need a refresher course in french comprehension, there's nothing anyone who speaks French couldn't understand...and Im also a francophone lol...I dont know why you're making this personal.

This isn't about me.

You're interpreting his comments as you see fit...

You want him to take responsibility for taking a GM job and getting paid for it?

Wtf does that even mean lol

It sounds like you expected him to stand there and call himself an idiot or hurl insults at himself.

The best part of your post is where you say "in other words, he didn't do anything wrong"

Those aren't other words...they're yours lol

As soon as you say "in other words", it then becomes YOUR interpretation and it's no longer what he said. You're spinning, which is fine, but you shouldn't pass off your spin as someone else's thoughts or intentions

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I dont need MB to tell me he has done a crappy job to know he has done a crappy job.

What concerns me is I have no confidence in him to do what is right for the team to advance us towards a Cup and what he has been saying causes me more concern not less.

The Rangers said they were rebuilding and familiar faces would be moved. And they moved a 2C to draft a player with 1C potential. This is transparency and also a plan.

MB is babbling about " Attitude". MB defended not offering more money to sign Rads and to him that still makes sense. He doesnt have to offer to poke an eye out but I sure as heck want to know that he gets it and has actually learned. But he is not showing that to me.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I dont need MB to tell me he has done a crappy job to know he has done a crappy job.

What concerns me is I have no confidence in him to do what is right for the team to advance us towards a Cup and what he has been saying causes me more concern not less.

The Rangers said they were rebuilding and familiar faces would be moved. And they moved a 2C to draft a player with 1C potential. This is transparency and also a plan.

MB is babbling about " Attitude". MB defended not offering more money to sign Rads and to him that still makes sense. He doesnt have to offer to poke an eye out but I sure as heck want to know that he gets it and has actually learned. But he is not showing that to me.

I don't think I've ever witnessed a worse case of giving someone another chance to fail. It's Bergevin's 7th off season, if he hasn't been able to do it by now, what will drop from the sky that will make a difference?

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah Bergevin likes to talk about 103 points last season, but as you said, failed to mention firing the coach. In addition, I think most of us on here, and fans in general, correctly predicted that team would fall victim to an early playoff exit. It was that obvious.

I even predicted how many goals they would score.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think I've ever witnessed a worst case of giving someone another chance to fail. It's Bergevin's 7th off season, if he hasn't been able to do it by now, what will drop from the sky that will make a difference?
Especially when he doesn't actually think his team is that bad but merely in need of an attitude adjustment! You can't fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge. Lack of talented players is an unacknowledged problem. Lack of a top line center is an unacknowledged problem. Lack of a first pairing puck moving defenseman is an unacknowledged problem. Most of all, an incompetent GM is an unacknowledged problem.

But according to Molson and Bergevin, the only problem they've got is a handful of players with bad mojo. Nothing to see here.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Especially when he doesn't actually think his team is that bad but merely in need of an attitude adjustment! You can't fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge. Lack of talented players is an unacknowledged problem. Lack of a top line center is an unacknowledged problem. Lack of a first pairing puck moving defenseman is an unacknowledged problem. Most of all, an incompetent GM is an unacknowledged problem.

But according to Molson and Bergevin, the only problem they've got is a handful of players with bad mojo. Nothing to see here.

Ha, that's a Dr. Phil staple: "You can't change what you don't acknowledge." Well put.

I can imagine how they concocted the "Attitude" theme for their PC.
  1. Let's create a label.
  2. Attach problems to the label that cannot be quantified or clearly ascertained.
  3. Blame the label.
  4. Distance yourself from the label.
  5. Offer yourself as the savior of the problems evoked by the label.
Crisis management diversion scenario par excellence.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Ha, that's a Dr. Phil staple: "You can't change what you don't acknowledge." Well put.

I can imagine how they concocted the "Attitude" theme for their PC.
  1. Let's create a label.
  2. Attach problems to the label that cannot be quantified or clearly ascertained.
  3. Blame the label.
  4. Distance yourself from the label.
  5. Offer yourself as the savior of the problems evoked by the label.
Crisis management diversion scenario par excellence.

I found great synonyms for "character" on the new Thesaurus.com!

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

2 of the best plays from a Hab in recent memory was Price smoking Kreider and Price pounding Palmieri.

I like that he does it but definitely should not have to. :fight:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I’ve noticed that Bergevin says “it’s on me to fix” much more than “I’ve made the mess”.

I’m thinking synergy is next year’s buzzword. Maybe we could have a pool.

Reactions: Laurentide

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad