Around the NHL XXXVI: Ladd AND Weise/Fleischmann to Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sooth

Jun 27, 2006
Finland
www.last.fm
And then they go out and sign Stalberg and trade for Eric Staal both of whom have very good fancy stats.

I think, like most teams and professionals, they are using them and weighing them in to their decisions. Just not using them as the end all be all

This.

As someone who is somewhat interested in fancy stats and thinking on "should I do my thesis on it", I would love to get my hands on some data.

But still, numbers won't tell you everything. (Probably beating a dead horse here, but still) Hockey is such a dynamic sport that it'd be hard to judge completely on analytics. There should always be some consideration on human relations & relationships. (as in, the personal stuff that might or might not be going on with Kreider. That is something you cannot predict.)

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Erik Karlsson is the best offensive defense ive seen play the game...

watching him in person is completely different than on TV. the amount of ice he can cover is crazy

darko

Feb 16, 2009
the Ottawa Senators are not an NHL team when he's off the ice

Agree on this.

EK is a fantastic player but some treat him like he's the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread. Best offensive D-man by a decent margin but he does have his shortcomings defensively which can't be ignored.

Is he the #1 D-man in NHL? Nope. Duncan Keith is but EK is definitely top-5 with the likes of PK, Weber and Doughty.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Ooohhh Pens & Blue Jackets playing tonight... First game where both Crosby & Dubinsky will be playing after their little altercation...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I see the argument that Karlsson isn't quite as good defensively as a Doughty or a Keith.

I don't get the argument that he's a 4th forward. He's pretty solid defensively.

There's lots of offensive defenseman who are a hundred times worse defensively and don't get called a "4th forward."

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Karlsson is definitely a great player, but calling him the best offensive defenseman one has ever seen play the game is a bit short sighted.

Lidstrom, Leetch, Bourque, and MacInnis all say hello, and that's just within the past 15 years.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Karlsson is definitely a great player, but calling him the best offensive defenseman one has ever seen play the game is a bit short sighted.

Lidstrom, Leetch, Bourque, and MacInnis all say hello, and that's just within the past 15 years.

He's better than all of them (offensively) except Bourque IMO.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I see the argument that Karlsson isn't quite as good defensively as a Doughty or a Keith.

I don't get the argument that he's a 4th forward. He's pretty solid defensively.

There's lots of offensive defenseman who are a hundred times worse defensively and don't get called a "4th forward."

Exactly.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Agree on this.

EK is a fantastic player but some treat him like he's the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread. Best offensive D-man by a decent margin but he does have his shortcomings defensively which can't be ignored.

Is he the #1 D-man in NHL? Nope. Duncan Keith is but EK is definitely top-5 with the likes of PK, Weber and Doughty.
I don't think sliced bread is all that great. There's nothing like biting into a whole loaf.

I do think that defensive zone play vs. defensive play (i.e. the sum of all the activities that lead to the prevention of goals) is an important distinction for players like Karlsson, who excel at keeping the puck at the other end of the ice.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

None of those players embarrassed their peers the way Karlsson does.

Maybe there's just not as many great offensive defenseman today as there was in the 90's. I could certainly buy that the way the game has become overly structured.

But only Bobby Orr has dominated contemporaneous defensemen the way Karlsson does.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
This.

Leetch had 5 20-goal seasons and 5 50-assist seasons. One 100-point season.

Erik Karlsson has had 3 50 assist seasons.....

I think Leetch was better but it has to be said that nobody is on Karlsson's planet right now. There were plenty of top tier offensive D with Leetch around. He had competition. Karlsson simply doesn't.

Last edited:

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York

I think Leetch was better but it has to be said that nobody is on Karlsson's planet right now. There were plenty of top tier offensive D with Leetch around. He had competition. Karlsson simply doesn't.

Well leetch was actually good defensively, so there's that.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Honestly, different times.

When Leetch had his 50+ assist seasons, the GPG averages were:

1990-91: 3.46
1991-92: 3.48
1993-94: 3.24
1995-96: 3.14
1996-97: 2.92
2000-01: 2.76

Karlsson's 3 seasons with 50+ assist seasons, the GPG averages were:

2011-12: 2.73
2013-14: 2.74
2015-16: 2.69

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
So is Karlsson

So is Karlsson.

When will this die?

Great arguement. Now go watch him play and stop reading his stats sheet.
I've seen plenty of sens games and there's 2 things karlsson is, a points machine and a speed demon. A shutdown defenseman, he is not. He gets abused routinely. WAY more than other "norris caliber" guys like Weber, subbam, doughty, etc.

This is not to say he is stu bickel level bad, but to compare him to guys like leetch is laughable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad