Around the NHL XXXVI: Ladd AND Weise/Fleischmann to Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The same people that think Girardi is good are the same people that believe Karlsson isn't good defensively

Shocking /s

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This is a discussion about how Karlsson compares to some of the best offensive defenseman to play the game, and you are bringing up Staal and Girardi, as if they relate at all to this discussion. :shakehead

You can use the "Karlsson has the puck a lot" excuse to excuse his defense, but its really not a very good argument. His team doesn't have the puck 95% of the time when he's on the ice, that type of percentage just doesn't exist in a competitive hockey league. I don't even know what his possession percentages are, but I do know that the best players are pretty much only around 60%, so even 60/40 requires the ability to play well without the puck since 40% without the puck is still a substantial number. This isn't the Canadian National Team against the Indian National Team, the NHL is a competitive league from shift to shift and game to game, all players have to have some ability to do everything because of the amount of parity.

About the points, if all three players points are averaged over an 82 game season, Keith is 25 less and Doughty is 28 less, but if there was some way to quantify defensive ability, Keith and Doughty would be substantially higher than Karlsson, so although those numbers might work in Karlsson's favor, its a very one sided argument since we don't really have an agreeable way to quantify defensive ability like we do offensive ability with points or assists or goals.

I think you underestimate how big of a gap 25-28 points is.

And John Moore a top 4 D? Maybe on a Lottery team.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
The same people that think Girardi is good are the same people that believe Karlsson isn't good defensively

Shocking /s

Except girardi DOES have good games. But people will forever lynch him every single time he flubs a pass or doesn't defend a player 100% perfectly and that automatically makes him garbage overall.

Some people actually know how to give credit to people so speak for yourself.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So Mike Milbury just said he's a Flyers fan, and he's "ecstatic" that Malkin is injured.

On a National broadcast.

For the NHL...

Huh?

Played for Boston, coached the Islanders and now he is a Flyers fan happy with an injury to a Penguins player. The guy is a joke

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's really a bunch of crap that Karlsson's only defensive value is derived from "always having the puck"

PLENTY of NHL defensemen touch the puck a ton and still can't stop the other team from shooting.

The top is offensive possession and the bottom is defensive possession.

z8pWehS.png

zpJkCal.png

RSJDAlT.png

QvOrcAW.png

RVxj9fX.png

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's really a bunch of crap that Karlsson's only defensive value is derived from "always having the puck"

PLENTY of NHL defensemen touch the puck a ton and still can't stop the other team from shooting.

The top is offensive possession and the bottom is defensive possession.

z8pWehS.png

zpJkCal.png

RSJDAlT.png

QvOrcAW.png

RVxj9fX.png

LOL Josi

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure if it was already posted here, but Jagr is a beast! He posted this on his Facebook feed:

6YVRevp.jpg

1:30 ráno, stále makám smile emoticon skončil zápas, ale mám stále dost energii, tak jsem si šel zacvičit:) play-off se blížÃ­ , tak musim být připraven, nechci udělat ostudu.... A přidal jsem si ještě jednu vestu, tak cvičim se dvěma ( jedna je pro děti ) :))) .... Chudák Veronika , musi na mě tak dlouho čekat, ale ja jí to v létě vynahradím:) ..... To víte, když chcete být lepšÃ­ než soupeř , musíte pracovat (trénovat), když on spí.. Všem soupeřům - dobrou noc.:))))

Translation:
1:30 in the morning, still working ended the game, but I still have enough energy, so I went to the gym smile emoticon playoffs coming up, so I gotta be ready, I don't want to embarrass.... And I added one more vest, so cvičim with two (one is for the kids) :))).... Poor Veronica, must to me wait that long, but I did make it in the summer smile emoticon..... You know that if you want to be better than the opponent, you have to work (train), When He's asleep.. All rivals - good night.:))))

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He's not human. I can see him playing at a relatively high level for another few years.

And just think, he's approaching these goal/point totals while having also played three seasons overseas. That's possibly another 60 goals and 180 points.

And that's having only the first few years of his career in the high-scoring NHL that dominated the 80s and early 90s and losing the equivalent of a whole season to lockouts.

I've met the man many times over the last two decades. He's a speciman.

Jagr, Messier and Brind'Amour might be three of the finest conditioned hockey players I've ever met.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
And just think, he's approaching these goal/point totals while having also played three seasons overseas. That's possibly another 60 goals and 180 points.

And that's having only the first few years of his career in the high-scoring NHL that dominated the 80s and early 90s and losing the equivalent of a whole season to lockouts.

Jagr, Messier and Brind'Amour might be three of the finest conditioned hockey players I've ever met.

For the uninitiated, Rod "the Bod" Brind'Amour:

SCJ06_07b.jpg

and from Wikipedia:

During his time at Michigan State, Brind'Amour would go from a game directly into the weight room, where he would undertake a strenuous workout. His coach at the time said that Brind'Amour's workouts became so intense that they would turn the lights out on him, and when that failed to work, they would padlock the room to bar his entry.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Jagr is the ****ing man. This needs be said often so the little kids understand that he is just not some old man, but a machine.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada

When the Flyers were here on PEI hiding out with Lindros in his first training camp....Brind'Amour always could be found in the resort gym when not on the ice.....he lived there !!! Was great times for hockey fans here at the time .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad