OT: Around the NHL: We Talkin' 'Bout Coaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Commodore really does hate Babcock. I mean, he's kind of a weird guy anyway but there is an absurd level of hate there. It's not just like "I hated playing for the guy" it's an intense personal loathing.

The Gobfather*

May 2, 2014
https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...cks-take-on-concussions-baffling-feschuk.html

He then tried to back track it by saying he was joking, but he wasn't. Look at the Detroit Red Wings and their history of concussions with guys like Franzen and how often he was allowed back, it tells the story of how that was run. It also explains why Commodore despises him and it seems like a lot of other veterans do as well. He was also the reason the Wings were Vet heavy when they tried to push more youth, now obviously his tune has changed in Toronto, but that was never the case in Detroit and people blame the Wings management for that instead which isn't true at all.

A concussed player will always say he wants to play, unless he's so messed up he says no, in which case, how much ridicule would he get from his coach for saying that? Seems like Babs is that type.

IF you go back on his history...remember Kariya coming back when he shouldn't have? Franzen countless times, etc.

Oh but there's more...

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2016/2...ck-concussions-nhl-dennis-wideman-maple-leafs

Basically, his staff has to over rule him so he doesn't send out a guy he feels should play even if he's concussed because that's how much he wants to win. They try to spin it as oh he's just trying to win, it's ok, Billy with his head trauma that was played right after was just a guy doing what he thought was best so he could win, ah shucks.

Holy ****

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
His take on concussions is controversial. However, I think the vet thing is exaggerated. The Wings, up until the last of couple of years, haven't had any players worth making room for. Outside of Nyquist and Tatar, who became regulars under him, who should he have dropped one of "his guys" for?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Babcock is a decent not great coach who also happens to be a monumentaly arrogant ****. I mean for certain kinds of teams he probably has the right temperment and attitude, but he's definitely out of touch on certain things and definitely thinks he's the ****.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I don't think much separates the top coaches, tbh.

I think the guys who go down as all-time greats have truly special qualities, but most of the others succeed or fail based on how well their skills happen to synergize with the teams they have. Mike Sullivan lasted two years in Boston and won nothing. He has two Cups in two years in Pittsburgh. Of course, I'm sure he learned some things in between, but more than anything he was exactly what this team needed.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think the guys who go down as all-time greats have truly special qualities, but most of the others succeed or fail based on how well their skills happen to synergize with the teams they have. Mike Sullivan lasted two years in Boston and won nothing. He has two Cups in two years in Pittsburgh. Of course, I'm sure he learned some things in between, but more than anything he was exactly what this team needed.

I think all time greats can be an odd thing to quantify given the differences between eras and how sports evolve. Coaches are themselves not the easiest to quantify. Some of it will also inevitably be being in the right place at the right time, which being great helps but the perception of being great will also help get prime chances. How much better is that all time great than a regular great coach? Idk, that extra little bit or in a completely different level?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Commodore really does hate Babcock. I mean, he's kind of a weird guy anyway but there is an absurd level of hate there. It's not just like "I hated playing for the guy" it's an intense personal loathing.

He literally played 17 games for Mike Babcock. That hate, there's something to it and as weird as Mike is, he doesn't just randomly hate a dude he's played with or for without reason, that much I can say about reading about the guy and the stuff he says.

There also aren't a ton of players that Mike has coached that have glowing things to say about him, outside of the super nice dudes like Crosby who seems to never bad mouth any coach.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Babcock is a decent not great coach who also happens to be a monumentaly arrogant ****. I mean for certain kinds of teams he probably has the right temperment and attitude, but he's definitely out of touch on certain things and definitely thinks he's the ****.

His personality is perfect in Toronto, where he thinks he's larger than the team and the media already thinks he's a god so it's a match made in demented heaven.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Andrew Ference officially retired yesterday:

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/andrew-ference-announces-retirement/c-290386094

Good and long career for an 8th round pick.

He retired on 3rd place in regular season games played by a defenseman drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins:

1. Doug Bodger 1071 GP
2. Michal Rozsival 963 GP
3. Andrew Ference 907 GP
4. Brooks Orpik 901 GP
5. Rob Scuderi 783 GP
6. Chris Tamer 644 GP
7. Alex Goligoski 644 GP
8. Zarley Zalapski 637 GP
9. Colin Campbell 636 GP
10. Kris Letang 603 GP

Status
Not open for further replies.