OT: Around the NHL | Two Weeks Until The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I am weirdly okay with what transpired. I respect what that team did, Wilson notwithstanding. Teams had to deal with us winning with Cooke, so it’s only fair.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo and BHD

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
That Caps team in the 6 games vs the Pens never felt comfortable or had a safe lead. We almost beat them with one player. Im kinda upset that if Kessel just showed up a litttttle bit, we would've won that series.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
That Caps team in the 6 games vs the Pens never felt comfortable or had a safe lead. We almost beat them with one player. Im kinda upset that if Kessel just showed up a litttttle bit, we would've won that series.

Why does Kessel even need to show up? Crosby and Guentz finished 5/6th in points. 42 between the two in 12 games and Ovi/Kuzy had 59 points in 24 games. How about somebody plays some f***ing defense!!!? f***

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Regardless, so what if the penguins won that series. There is no guarantee if they got past the capitals that they could beat Vegas or Tampa Bay, which both would have been wild run and gun type of a series much like the Philly series. So I always say to these hypothetical 'if the team did this in such and such scenario things would be different'. It's not always the case and virtually impossible to ever guess the way things would be have things not been. It's like watching those forensics shows and thinking, 'my goodness was that guy beyond stupid for not doing this one little thing', but not stopping to think themselves that there were infinite other possibilities that could have sapped him/them.

Hell, it don't bother me I'd rather exciting run and gun that boring capital trap which reminded me of the old devils and 2017 senators. ZzZzzzZzzz

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
The main board is just downright stupid with the Ovechkin fan boys...apparently Cups don’t count because they’re “team awards”, yet the discussion doesn’t occur without Ovechkin winning one:laugh:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The main board is just downright stupid with the Ovechkin fan boys...apparently Cups don’t count because they’re “team awards”, yet the discussion doesn’t occur without Ovechkin winning one:laugh:
Team sports are tough in that regard as opposed to say tennis or golf, etc. While there are obvious standouts and above average players and super stars (obviously we know all this---just saying for my statement) who make winning championships possible as well as giving an edge in the match-ups game inside of the game. Although nothing would be possible without having an in sync (not the crappy boy band) team and well developed system of which players adapt and perform, which having a team full of superstars doesn't garuntee victory if nobody performs to their skill level and assist the team by knowing the system and players and their habits, positions, left/right handedness, strengths and weaknesses.

You can have a team with Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Kuznetsov, Stamkos, etc and the rest of the team incompetent (Letangs?:sarcasm:) players who would mar said exceptionally great player by never finishing setups, never connecting on assists, blown coverage on defense, etc, therefore posting stats with disastrous results that make a star caliber player seem mediocre or average and under-performing.

I kind of forgot my point, but it is this, any team sport can have a legendary player/s, but if they are not surrounded by a modest level of talent that has enough intellect and athletic skill to accompany the talent of said star it could mar the star to a level that he is not living up to expectations or .... well whatever negative statements / labels / insults that viewers / reporters / fan bases, whomever wishes to judge them by.

If Joe Montana played on the Clevland Browns his entire career would he be what he is today? Same with Tom Brady or any other greats. If Crosby and Ovechkin played for the Buffalo Sabres would they be what they are today? Same with Martin Brodeur or Hasek or Roy. What if they were on terrible defensive teams. Same could be said for offensive lines in football compared to defensive support for a hockey net minder.

Team sports greatest players go a long way by the surrounding / supporting cast and it is pretty annoying at times that the support cast doesn't have more recognition or awards.

I don't know what sent me off on a tangent, but ... yeah. haha

Reactions: edog37

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Caps winning the Cup, Eagles winning the Super Bowl...Cubs won a Series a couple years ago. I want my storylines back dammit

All important entries into the most important book in the world!

bttf2_stricklands_office.jpg

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Just give it time. When the Pens win another cup or two..while the Caps end it here...all of that will go away.

This is why Sully was so pissed at Kessel. Hes one of the biggest reasons we didnt get past the caps. Even if tampa matched up better with us and they advanced, still prevent caps from winning. Still think we would have gotten past them and won it all anyways. Other guys would have started to produce like we saw in previous years. Just like we saw with some players on Wash. Bura, Vrana, Eller, etc..stepping up the further they got.

Perfect timing for them to play us with Malkin and Hagelin injured. So it was up to Kessel to be that difference. Crosby,Guentzel, and Hornqvist can only do so much.

As long as they use this blown opportunity as motivation for next two years and get another cup this wont matter. But if we dont win it again in this era...we will remember what happened this year.

Just like Wings fans still not getting over 2009.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just give it time. When the Pens win another cup or two..while the Caps end it here...all of that will go away.

This is why Sully was so pissed at Kessel. Hes one of the biggest reasons we didnt get past the caps. Even if tampa matched up better with us and they advanced, still prevent caps from winning. Still think we would have gotten past them and won it all anyways. Other guys would have started to produce like we saw in previous years. Just like we saw with some players on Wash. Bura, Vrana, Eller, etc..stepping up the further they got.

Perfect timing for them to play us with Malkin and Hagelin injured. So it was up to Kessel to be that difference. Crosby,Guentzel, and Hornqvist can only do so much.

As long as they use this blown opportunity as motivation for next two years and get another cup this wont matter. But if we dont win it again in this era...we will remember what happened this year.

Just like Wings fans still not getting over 2009.

Seems like teams that don't bolster their roster at the trade deadline perform better in the post season than teams that add / subtract players and alter their chemistry. Last year the caps wasted a lot to get that waste of a player Shitenkirk. This year penguins shipped out Cole / Reaves for Brassard.

Not saying that is why the capitals lost last year and the penguins lost this year. It just seems to not be that advantageous. (Obviously they are not the only two teams, but I just used them for examples.)

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Seems like teams that don't bolster their roster at the trade deadline perform better in the post season than teams that add / subtract players and alter their chemistry. Last year the caps wasted a lot to get that waste of a player ****enkirk. This year penguins shipped out Cole / Reaves for Brassard.

Not saying that is why the capitals lost last year and the penguins lost this year. It just seems to not be that advantageous. (Obviously they are not the only two teams, but I just used them for examples.)

Completely agree.

Reactions: shoplifter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad