OT: Around the NHL: The Countdown to Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I really hope the NHLPA's grievance on behalf of Richards results in the Kings having Richards back on the books and have to buy him out. It still is so freaking absurd that the Kings did that and think they got away with it.

They cant buy him out, the buyout period is closed. They will be stuck with him and his caphit if the grievance is upheld.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
3. Bryant is not a rapist

From Bryant's own statement on the matter:
Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1872928

Uh, Mr. Bryant? If she didn't think it was consensual, then it was rape. In fact, that's pretty much the definition right there.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
HOG, what if Kane's media moronic lawyer gets him a settlement though?

Then that means it went to civil court right? Which most likely means there wasn't enough evidence to convict him in a criminal case? I'm fairly certain he can't settle out of court in a criminal trial.

At this point he hasn't even been charged yet, right?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It'd be great if only people who actually had interaction with Arbour would comment on his personality/life. So many bloggers are commenting when they've probably never met him. /end rant

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
So with a rap sheet like that, he literally threw a ton of money behind the scenes at the situation and really only served 60 days for that. FOR ALL OF THAT.

Justice!!

Yeah it really is sickening when you look at the whole. That guy is a POS but he is a boxer not a hockey player so... best we leave it.

The one that is missing a RH-shooting who can move the puck up the ice while playing 20+ minutes a game.

I was in no way condoning what he did. However, if he were to return (which sounds like it might be a possibility), then it would obviously benefit the Kings.

Yeah I don't deny he's a good hockey player. I do have an issue with him playing hockey in teh NHL at this point. Don't want him here. Or in LA to be honest.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Some team will give Voynov a shot.

Billy Tibbetts played on 3 teams in the NHL - Remember his past?

Let's not forget Harry Z and his past as well.

I despise Voynov and his actions, but he's serving time for it and will go through some rehab before he gets back to the NHL and guaranteed some team takes a chance.

Richards was arrested for some banned substance...I wonder if that helps LA and their case.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Lemieux, Quinn, Zubov, Tibbetts, Palffy, Nedved, Zolniercyk, and a few other questionable people played for this team. Think before you try to act like the Pens organization is super holy.

[not directed at anyone specific]

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
[DQP removed]

Lemieux, Quinn, Zubov, Tibbetts, Palffy, Nedved, Zolniercyk, and a few other questionable people played for this team. Think before you try to act like the Pens organization is super holy.

Wasn't the Mario thing mostly because of Quinn and he was just there? I can't remember the Zubov thing. But yeah the league isn't exactly filled with saints by any means, but that shouldn't mean the league can't start making an example out of some of these guys.

Otherwise, where's the "warning" for when they mess up?

Last edited by a moderator:

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013

I don't blame fans for sticking with their teams even if they employ (or are partially owned by, in our case) morally questionable people. That would make me a hypocrite. What Lemieux did doesn't cancel out all the other good things he's done for the team.

But I still acknowledge what he did instead of blindly ignoring or excusing it just because I'm a fan of his sports team. I expect the same from Kings and Hawks fans and I judge anyone who goes the blind faith route a bit. You can root for a team while understanding that some of the choices the organization or players make aren't exactly great choices to make.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I just don't get why sports teams are expected to be these grand institutions of the moral highground. These teams are trying to be the best in the world at what they do. Of course they are going to try to acquire the best players in the world. If a guy has served his punishment should he never work again?

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
What did.nedved and zubov do? But yeah I assume most athletes are suspect. They're not exactly encouraged to be intelligent, they're basically conditioned to be animals for their respective sport.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
What did.nedved and zubov do? But yeah I assume most athletes are suspect. They're not exactly encouraged to be intelligent, they're basically conditioned to be animals for their respective sport.

I think most is a stretch, but these kids have money, praise and fame thrust at them with little to no education on how to deal with it. Its a recipe for some stupid decisions.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Nedved was arrested on sexual assault charges, Zubov for domestic abuse. Only Nedved was still a Penguin at the time, Zubov had long been traded.

Nedved's charges were eventually dropped and I don't remember what happened with Zubov.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Roy also was charged or something like that, ripped a door off the hinge or what not, from what we all "heard" from the case anyway.

There are a lot that don't have their hands clean, the Mario one, iffy, but there are things out there you hear and you wonder what the hell, like the Glenn Anderson stuff, etc.

In either case, the NHL seems to be getting smarter about it because with social media and certain causes, you can't be a goof and get away with it.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Goc has apparently had it with the traveling and moving around and signed a 5-year contract in the DEL close to his hometown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad