OT: Around the NHL: The Countdown to Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Ive had my own issues with the drink in the past but not once did I endanger other peoples safety. You're telling me this useless piece of filth couldn't call for.a.ride if he was that hammered? He's a selfish piece of garbage and I hope he gets the book thrown at him.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Ive had my own issues with the drink in the past but not once did I endanger other peoples safety. You're telling me this useless piece of filth couldn't call for.a.ride if he was that hammered? He's a selfish piece of garbage and I hope he gets the book thrown at him.

I get what you're saying man but fact is, if compared to Kane's cabbie bashing rage, Sydor didn't cause any damage & admitted he's got a problem instead of using a a-hole lawyer to hide from the law...

Just saying.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

Breaking news: Not everyone's troubles mirror your own.

I agree, he deserves to be punished for his actions. There's no defending them, and that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just saying that it likely happened because he's so far down the hole of alcoholism that there is no such thing as rational judgement anymore. If you're drinking to the point of having a .3 BAC, calling for a ride or making judgement calls isn't even on your radar anymore.

In any event, I hope he finds the help he needs. Sad situation for all involved.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Breaking news: Not everyone's troubles mirror your own.

I agree, he deserves to be punished for his actions. There's no defending them, and that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just saying that it likely happened because he's so far down the hole of alcoholism that there is no such thing as rational judgement anymore. If you're drinking to the point of having a .3 BAC, calling for a ride or making judgement calls isn't even on your radar anymore.

In any event, I hope he finds the help he needs. Sad situation for all involved.

My issue is that if the bold is true, he shouldn't be taking care of children. Hopefully he can get help. But also hopefully he gets more than a slap on the wrist. This merits jail time.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
My issue is that if the bold is true, he shouldn't be taking care of children. Hopefully he can get help. But also hopefully he gets more than a slap on the wrist. This merits jail time.

I agree. He deserves to be held just as accountable as any other guy.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I get what you're saying man but fact is, if compared to Kane's cabbie bashing rage, Sydor didn't cause any damage & admitted he's got a problem instead of using a a-hole lawyer to hide from the law...

Just saying.

He drove very drunk with his kid in the car, that's massive, inexcusably so. At some point your actions are your own and there isn't an excuse anymore, driving drunk is one of those things, imo. Kane doesn't distract from that and this could have ended way worse than the time Kane assaulted a cabbie. Multiple people dead bad. He got very, very, very lucky with this.

And I say this as someone with a history of addiction and mental illness in the family, I've given it a lot of thought over the years. I hope he gets the help he needs, but this is on him. It's like blaming the parents for someone's problems, at some point you become responsible for yourself and what you do, or largely responsible. Other problems don't matter anymore, and that line is often when you can hurt other people. Actually, I'll say this, if you're out of the blue, innocently completely delusional and disconnected from reality it's not on you

Why the ever loving **** was this guy watching his kid, anyway?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
A BAC of .3 is absolutely insane. Like, I'm astounded the guy was even conscious. Good lord.

Incredibly stupid, selfish, dangerous thing to do. I hope he gets the help he needs.

Right after he gets 6 months in jail to think about it. Tired of regular citizens needing jail time and athletes / ex-athletes "needing help" when they do ****ed up things. Not picking on you but it's this culture we've built up around our athletes and it's f-ing BS. Minor in the back seat? Yeah, jail time. Period.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Right after he gets 6 months in jail to think about it. Tired of regular citizens needing jail time and athletes / ex-athletes "needing help" when they do ****ed up things. Not picking on you but it's this culture we've built up around our athletes and it's f-ing BS. Minor in the back seat? Yeah, jail time. Period.

What about my post indicated I am opposed to him paying the price for his actions (i.e. jailtime)?

Getting help and paying your debt to society aren't mutually exclusive. I've said multiple times he needs to be held accountable to the fullest extent, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the help that he very obviously needs and cannot/will not get on his own, both for him and those around him. :laugh:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
What about my post indicated I am opposed to him paying the price for his actions (i.e. jailtime)?

Getting help and paying your debt to society aren't mutually exclusive. I've said multiple times he needs to be held accountable to the fullest extent, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the help that he very obviously needs and cannot/will not get on his own, both for him and those around him. :laugh:

Like I said I wasn't trying to single you out – lots of people have that gut reaction. "This athlete has made a terrible mistake – I hope he gets the help he needs." As opposed to "This POS needs to serve some time... oh and, if he can get some help that'd be good too." ;)

[Read John Krakauer's book about the Univ. Montana football rape cases. It's mind-boggling the pedestal people put athletes on and even when they do something ****ed up there's this bizarre double-standard where the anger that would be shown towards a regular nobody citizen disappears and it suddenly becomes about love and understanding and getting the troubled athlete the help they need, second chances, praise Jesus, etc.]

But yeah rehab can *sometimes* be concurrent with jail time. Especially if it's house arrest, minimum security facility or some half way house BS. Which no doubt, he'll get. If anything.

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Like I said I wasn't trying to single you out –*lots of people have that gut reaction. "This athlete has made a terrible mistake – I hope he gets the help he needs." As opposed to "This POS needs to serve some time... oh and, if he can get some help that'd be good too." ;)

But yeah rehab can *sometimes* be concurrent with jail time. Especially if it's house arrest or some minimum security facility or some half way house BS.

I agree. The celeb/athlete mentality regarding crimes is ridiculous. Either way, wherever he ends up (I'm sure it'll be some country club-esque "jail"), I hope he comes out a better person and is over his issues with alcohol. Especially since he's got kids. I've personally seen that **** destroy lives/families and it's terrible for everyone involved.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
All I know is that there's no reason for a 43 year old man to have .3 in his blood, let alone trying to drive around in that shape, let alone with a damned kid with him. A guy I went to college with was hospitalized with that BAC--on his 21st birthday. I was there for that and the idea that someone in the shape he was in would be driving a car is really friggin frightening.

Driving aside, unless this guy's wife just left him, there's no reason at all to be that drunk at his age. And if she did, he shouldn't be getting **** faced on the day he's watching the kid. This behavior isn't even common for alcoholics.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Well, the bolded part spells intolerance as opposed to Sydor's tolerance billy but you already knew that. It is possible something family linked led up to this but fact is, if he was still able to drive, altough poorly, he must have had started drinking again before this sad incident given he should have fell asleep or crashed right away.

Guy needs help, will probably lose his job, maybe his wife/kids.

Sydor is sick, not a bad guy like Kane, just sick to the bones.

Inexcusable? Depends on if you think he should get a last chance.

This said i will never condone such a behaviour, in hockey, if there's a victim, the price to pay is much higher accordingly to the injury.

There was no one harmed but there sure was potential though!

I bet his life gets destroyed while a-hole Kane gets away with actual consequence (alleged).

I wish Sydor the best considering...

But yeah, he'll get it & should, if only as a public message.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Well, the bolded part spells intolerance as opposed to Sydor's tolerance billy but you already knew that. It is possible something family linked led up to this but fact is, if he was still able to drive, altough poorly, he must have had started drinking again before this sad incident given he should have fell asleep or crashed right away.

This said i will never condone such a behaviour, in hockey, if there's a victim, the price to pay is much higher accordingly to the injury.

I bet his life gets destroyed while a-hole Kane gets away with actual consequence (alleged).

please explain how kane is a bad guy? what sydor has done is way worse than what kane has ever done. DUI with a kid in a car is way worse than some cab indecent or allegations that may not be true

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
please explain how kane is a bad guy? what sydor has done is way worse than what kane has ever done. DUI with a kid in a car is way worse than some cab indecent or allegations that may not be true

Sorry but i should have made this clear, Kane beat up a cabbie while enraged and... drunk. Kane may have raped a woman, again, while being (alleged) drunk.

Sydor did not hurt anyone but himself, yes he could have killed someone but that would have been unintentional.

That's what i meant by not being a bad guy like a-hole Kane when he's drunk.

Read my post again, i want Sydor to pay if only to send a message while a-hole Kane will probably get away with settlement.

Consequences... According to law doesn't always equate justice.

Hope i clarified my point.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
All I know is that there's no reason for a 43 year old man to have .3 in his blood, let alone trying to drive around in that shape, let alone with a damned kid with him. A guy I went to college with was hospitalized with that BAC--on his 21st birthday. I was there for that and the idea that someone in the shape he was in would be driving a car is really friggin frightening.

Driving aside, unless this guy's wife just left him, there's no reason at all to be that drunk at his age. And if she did, he shouldn't be getting **** faced on the day he's watching the kid. This behavior isn't even common for alcoholics.

Yeah this is beyond, "I hope he gets help". This is more, "that guy's a piece of ****".

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I have no knowledge of whether Sydor's a nice guy or not, but in my book, driving your kid around in the middle of the day with a BAC that can hospitalize you is quite a bit more dangerous than fighting a cab driver (as for the alleged rape: I don't like Patrick Kane, but I'm not going to rake him over the coals over something I don't even know that he did at this point). There's way, way more intoxicated manslaughters every year than there are guys dying in drunken fights.

I mean, I'm no teetotaler...I bartended in college at a corner dive down from a VA...but come on, man. Those guys knew not to drive when their eyes were rolling, let alone drive their kid somewhere. If guys who have problems Sydor probably has never even dreamt about knew better, his ass should have known better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad