OT: Around the NHL: The Countdown to Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Would have liked Hoff back at that price. Even if I found him a bit underwhelming even when healthy, last year. Still... he had his moments. And I felt wasn't really utilized correctly, here. Plus... injuries.

But I seriously doubt he would have come back here.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Okay, I definitely would have taken Ehrhoff at 1.5, but Scuderi gives you so much off ice bang for the buck. Not trading Despres also would have been great, just like making psych evaluations mandatory for the GM and co would have been. Eh, Shero and other idiot?

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yep, barring the concussions being a long term thing I bet he bounces back and does well. I get he was thrust in the 5on5 shut down role but not using him on the top pp was inexcusable. Tocchets a freaking idiot.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Like I said I wasn't trying to single you out – lots of people have that gut reaction. "This athlete has made a terrible mistake – I hope he gets the help he needs." As opposed to "This POS needs to serve some time... oh and, if he can get some help that'd be good too." ;)

It's usually a stronger reaction than that.

It's usually, especially on the internet, "Hahaha! Can't wait to hear about them getting prison raped!"

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Okay, I definitely would have taken Ehrhoff at 1.5, but Scuderi gives you so much off ice bang for the buck. Not trading Despres also would have been great, just like making psych evaluations mandatory for the GM and co would have been. Eh, Shero and other idiot?

If you think Ehrhoff was misused in Pittsburgh, wait 'till you get a load of Sutter using him. LA is where offense goes to get stifled, except for Doughty, although I think Doughty could be a 60-70pt guy outside of LA (NYR of the West).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As serviceable as Ehrhoff is, Voynov would really fill that hole on defense.

Yeah but he has a problem Mayweather'ing his wife.

Should the NHL allow him back after he serves his time and gets counselling? Maybe, the only player I would never have back in the NHL is Kane if he is found guilty.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
As serviceable as Ehrhoff is, Voynov would really fill that hole on defense.

Which hole is that, the one where we can't seem to find any guys who are willing to abuse women? **** Voynov.
He can go play in the KHL with other losers like Radulov (albeit a loser for a different set of reasons).

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Voynov deserves to go to jail and celebrate his release with a deportation notice, but that doesn't change that he's a Hell of a D.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Which hole is that, the one where we can't seem to find any guys who are willing to abuse women? **** Voynov.
He can go play in the KHL with other losers like Radulov (albeit a loser for a different set of reasons).

It always cracks me up how people tolerate athletes that commit crimes and then their lawyers throw money at it and make it go away...

Mayweather is a wife beater, but hey, boxing doesn't care.
Kobe is a rapist, but hey, settlement!
Etc etc...

Money, solving athlete's problems unless you are Hernandez, then you're just ****ed.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It always cracks me up how people tolerate athletes that commit crimes and then their lawyers throw money at it and make it go away...

Mayweather is a wife beater, but hey, boxing doesn't care.
Kobe is a rapist, but hey, settlement!
Etc etc...

Money, solving athlete's problems unless you are Hernandez, then you're just ****ed.

1. Mayweather went to jail. Going to jail is not "making it go away"

2. There is no "boxing." As in, there is no central body (NFL, UFC, NHL, FIFA, etc) in boxing that could be asked to care aside from belt sanctioning bodies like the IBF, WBA, WBO (etc). While Mayweather is currently the WBA champion, understand that that organization is a mafia payola scam. It currently has Ali Raymi as a top 10 flyweight contender. If you're not familiar with Raymi, that's probably because he exploded in March. Death doesn't affect your mandatory challenger status with the WBA as long as your payoffs are up to date. The IBF is a little better (though not by much) and has refused to deal with Mayweather for a decade, though it's unclear why.

3. Bryant is not a rapist

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
i mean i guess thats a good deal now, but whats it look like in the second half of the contract? hes not a young guy by any stretch

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
i mean i guess thats a good deal now, but whats it look like in the second half of the contract? hes not a young guy by any stretch

For some reason I thought he was 29. But he took less money for more term, still seems pretty good to me.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Gio has a lot less miles on him then most defensemen. I'm not too worried about it. Also it's not known how his contract is structured. It could easily be buyout friendly the last couple years.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
1. Mayweather went to jail. Going to jail is not "making it go away"

2. There is no "boxing." As in, there is no central body (NFL, UFC, NHL, FIFA, etc) in boxing that could be asked to care aside from belt sanctioning bodies like the IBF, WBA, WBO (etc). While Mayweather is currently the WBA champion, understand that that organization is a mafia payola scam. It currently has Ali Raymi as a top 10 flyweight contender. If you're not familiar with Raymi, that's probably because he exploded in March. Death doesn't affect your mandatory challenger status with the WBA as long as your payoffs are up to date. The IBF is a little better (though not by much) and has refused to deal with Mayweather for a decade, though it's unclear why.

3. Bryant is not a rapist

Remind me of the consequences Mayweather faced for his assault on a woman.

After getting into an argument with his daughter’s mother, Melissia Brim, in 2001 and punching her repeatedly in the face, Mayweather entered a plea bargain and received a six-month suspended sentence, two days of house arrest, and he was ordered to perform 48 hours of community service.

Punching her repeatedly...this is a boxer doing that, just imagine that for a second.

We find Voynov to be disgusting for his actions, imagine a man that literally makes his living punching, punching a woman repeatedly.

Mayweather got off with a suspended sentence of one-year in jail, ordered to undergo counseling, and a $1000 fine after being found guilty of battery for punching two friends of Josie Harris, mother of Mayweather’s three other children.

“You may be a terrific and famous fighter, but that doesn’t make you a god,” Justice of the Peace Deborah Lippis told Mayweather during the trial.

$1,000 fine, how much does this guy make? He spends that much on casual pair of sneakers, probably. Way to teach him a lesson Justice of Peace! You go girl!

Mayweather pleaded no contest and earned himself a misdemeanor battery charge after beating a bouncer in Grand Rapids, Michigan bar. Pretty Boy Floyd received a 90-day suspended jail sentence for that one.

Let's beat up dudes now! Women be too easy, bruv.

Also in 2005, Mayweather was charged with felony battery after he was accused of beating ex Josie Harris. During the trial, Harris recanted her previous statements, and the charges were dropped.

Aka he Kobe'd the situation with either a massive rock or tons of cash, he figured hey, that should do it...

In 2011 Mayweather was sentenced to time in a correctional facility after attacking his ex-girlfriend Josie Harris in front of their children.

Although the charges of felony robbery, coercion, and grand larceny were eventually dropped, Mayweather plead guilty to a reduced battery domestic violence charge and no contest to two charges of harassment.

He was sentenced to a 90 day stay, had to complete 100 hours of community service, a 12-month domestic-violence program, and to was order to pay a $2,500 fine. He only served 60 days before being released.
http://heavy.com/sports/2015/05/floyd-mayweathers-domestic-violence-arrests-criminal-prison/

Oh but he did it again, this time cash and jewelry wasn't enough.

So with a rap sheet like that, he literally threw a ton of money behind the scenes at the situation and really only served 60 days for that. FOR ALL OF THAT.

Justice!!

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, usually not a good idea to sign a guy long term at his peak, short term goodies though.

He's 31yrs old and has been a fantastic defenseman since 2009-10 when he really started to make his mark as a top pairing defender. I think it's a solid signing, you are seeing a lot of players play into their mid to late 30's and still be somewhat effective. I think he might taper off around 34ish, but even then, he'll still be a solid top 3-4 defenseman.

The biggest thing for the Flames is that they now have Hamilton and that will ease up how much they play Giordano. They've needed a solid #2 guy that will be the #1 sooner rather than later to round out their top 3 of Gio, Hamilton, and Brodie.

The guy was over played a ton the last 3-4yrs and hasn't played over 70 games since 2010-11 because of that, just a ton of wear and tear from being over played because he was the only guy they could really rely on for every situation.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

The one that is missing a RH-shooting who can move the puck up the ice while playing 20+ minutes a game.

I was in no way condoning what he did. However, if he were to return (which sounds like it might be a possibility), then it would obviously benefit the Kings.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The one that is missing a RH-shooting who can move the puck up the ice while playing 20+ minutes a game.

I was in no way condoning what he did. However, if he were to return (which sounds like it might be a possibility), then it would obviously benefit the Kings.

I really hope the NHLPA's grievance on behalf of Richards results in the Kings having Richards back on the books and have to buy him out. It still is so freaking absurd that the Kings did that and think they got away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad