NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
I like those numbers; nonetheless the B's need to stop their losing streak against Toronto. We've seen in years past with the Habs how drastic the results of losing repeatedly to teams in the division can be.

GM's seem to have more patience with head coaches this year. I thought Hakstol was all but done in Philly in the midst of their 10 game losing streak. Now they have tied the Pens in points with a game in hand, and are only 2 points behind the Isles, and within 4 of the Rangers.

Aside from being the underdog, there's something likable about the Vegas team. For me it starts with Gallant. Most fans felt terrible about how the Panthers fired him. I find sports psychology fascinating, and a lot has been made about their players having a chip on their shoulders since they were left unprotected.

I think there's also another aspect at work psychologically - the fact no one expected them to do anything. They are lose and having fun every shift.

Good read on the Golden Knights: Vegas? VEGAS! | By David Perron

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I like those numbers; nonetheless the B's need to stop their losing streak against Toronto. We've seen in years past with the Habs how drastic the results of losing repeatedly to teams in the division can be.

GM's seem to have more patience with head coaches this year. I thought Hakstol was all but done in Philly in the midst of their 10 game losing streak. Now they have tied the Pens in points with a game in hand, and are only 2 points behind the Isles, and within 4 of the Rangers.

Aside from being the underdog, there's something likable about the Vegas team. For me it starts with Gallant. Most fans felt terrible about how the Panthers fired him. I find sports psychology fascinating, and a lot has been made about their players having a chip on their shoulders since they were left unprotected.

I think there's also another aspect at work psychologically - the fact no one expected them to do anything. They are lose and having fun every shift.

Their biggest long term contract is to Reilly Smith

Vegas Golden Knights - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
This makes me :banana::banana::banana:. From Leaf around NHL thread. Trying to keep my homerism in check however with the amount of Leaf news talk I have to endure day in day out I love the fact that some Leaf fans have their beer goggles on!

I don't like the way Boston has come on lately. I thought they were not supposed to be that good? What gives?

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
I was listening to Toronto sports talk radio a few days ago and the hosts were basically saying the Leafs have 2nd place in the Atlantic locked up. They mocked the Habs and and Sens and then scoffed at Boston saying that if they were in the Metro they would be in last place. They obviously didn’t notice that the Bruins had played 4 less games than most teams and were only 1 game behind Toronto at the time (now tied). Made me laugh how arrogant they have become after 1 1/3 years of a decent team after 10+ years of futility.

The last time the Leafs finished higher than the Bruins in the regular season was 2006-07.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I remember elder Vesey being too involved and being a little more than annoyed lol. Wonder if elder Vesey wishes he provided better advice?

Vesey says there's no favorite to sign him, father insists Leafs job won't impact choice

The elder Vesey told Dupont that he'd suggest his son not sign with the Bruins because of the pressure that comes with playing in his home state, but said it's his son's choice to make.
''My advice, personally, (is that) I'd like to see him start somewhere (other than Boston) ... as a dad," Jim said.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I was listening to Toronto sports talk radio a few days ago and the hosts were basically saying the Leafs have 2nd place in the Atlantic locked up. They mocked the Habs and and Sens and then scoffed at Boston saying that if they were in the Metro they would be in last place. They obviously didn’t notice that the Bruins had played 4 less games than most teams and were only 1 game behind Toronto at the time (now tied). Made me laugh how arrogant they have become after 1 1/3 years of a decent team after 10+ years of futility.

The last time the Leafs finished higher than the Bruins in the regular season was 2006-07.

Yup heard the same thing. For bruin fans South of the border...TRY listening to TSN lunch Leaf talk.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I remember elder Vesey being too involved. Wonder if elder Vesey wishes he provided better advice?

Vesey says there's no favorite to sign him, father insists Leafs job won't impact choice

The elder Vesey told Dupont that he'd suggest his son not sign with the Bruins because of the pressure that comes with playing in his home state, but said it's his son's choice to make.
''My advice, personally, (is that) I'd like to see him start somewhere (other than Boston) ... as a dad," Jim said.
Funny you raise this. I've watched a couple of Rags games of late and Vesey is pretty invisible. Looking at his stats suggests that it may not be just a thing for the few games I've seen.

I was thinking about how much focus I (and many on this Board) put on the drama surrounding who Vesey would pick up to and after the deadline passed. I was so pissed when he chose the Rangers. Maybe much ado about not much. I doubt Vesey would be doing much better in Boston and actually might be fighting for time with all the kids pushing for spots.

Who knows, maybe that would be a better scenario for his long-term career.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Kid hasn't proven to be worth that hype yet. Still young with talent but it was for the best he didn't sign here because this type of production in Boston, he would be getting hammered.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I remember elder Vesey being too involved and being a little more than annoyed lol. Wonder if elder Vesey wishes he provided better advice?

As a father he should have had more confidence in his son's ability to handle pressure maybe. I mean the hockey press in Boston isn't exactly Toronto or Montreal.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Kid hasn't proven to be worth that hype yet. Still young with talent but it was for the best he didn't sign here because this type of production in Boston, the would be getting hammered.

Like many have said here before he'd be our 4th or 5th best LW tops. When he jumped out to his quick start many people mocked others for saying just that, but he's just a guy at this point. He's on the 4th line continually it seems./

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Kid hasn't proven to be worth that hype yet. Still young with talent but it was for the best he didn't sign here because this type of production in Boston, the would be getting hammered.
Excellent point.

The hype around him was not his fault, but it was intense. You're right, with all that hype, he'd be getting roasted right now.

Sounds like Pops might have been right. Maybe he sensed Vesey was being oversold.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Like many have said here before he'd be our 4th or 5th best LW tops. When he jumped out to his quick start many people mocked others for saying just that, but he's just a guy at this point. He's on the 4th line continually it seems./

I wonder if he would have been better suited to start in the AHL?

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
I wonder if he would have been better suited to start in the AHL?

It never hurts having your prospects riding the buses and developing their craft in a less pressure filled environment. A large part of Detroit's success during their long playoff run was not having to rush the kids. It's a great motivator, once you make it, to keep involved/improving so you don't have to go back to riding the buses in the future.

When you have a depth of quality prospects like we currently do, it keeps the pressure on the 'at risk to be sent down crowd' to keep pushing. It is one of the reasons I'd be wary about packaging off a bunch of prospects for a rental/veteran minor upgrade. Draft picks or surplus established player sure - if the deal is right.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It never hurts having your prospects riding the buses and developing their craft in a less pressure filled environment. A large part of Detroit's success during their long playoff run was not having to rush the kids. It's a great motivator, once you make it, to keep involved/improving so you don't have to go back to riding the buses in the future.

When you have a depth of quality prospects like we currently do, it keeps the pressure on the 'at risk to be sent down crowd' to keep pushing. It is one of the reasons I'd be wary about packaging off a bunch of prospects for a rental/veteran minor upgrade. Draft picks or surplus established player sure - if the deal is right.

Perfect examples of our own are DeBrusk and Heinen. Heinen got that 8 game taste before he went down last season and really used that one year at the AHL to develop and grow. DeBrusk didn't get that taste, but took a bit to get comfortable, but once he did, he really took off as well. They both carried it into the playoffs, getting experience there at a higher level of hockey, and now look at them....Never going back to ride the buses again.

Hopefully Senyshyn follows suit, even if he needs a bit longer. It's nice to have NHL ready prospects on top of veterans now. We can slowly bring along others instead of having to rush them to the NHL.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
It was a bit sudden when Dave decided to leave 98.5, but from what I understand these broadcasting opportunities are highly sought after. There were more than 200 applicants for the Vegas TV crew. Good for Sheriff Shane as well.
My guess would be due to the fact that he knows just how hard these jobs are to get, they don't come up often and there are tons of guys out there with actual tv experience that he was likely going against. Probably kept his interview process close to his chest figuring he had a long shot of getting it. When it actually happened, it then seemed like it was a sudden decision, but I'm guessing it wasn't at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad