Around the NHL - Playoffs? We're Talkin' 'bout Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
St Louis is utilizing their defense quite a lot on the rush. Team's collapsing their forwards low are getting punished. PIT actually looked pretty bad and got lucky with a few screened shots from the point. At least their defenders hit the corners though.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
McDavid last night- Holy Bejezzus! Calgary was totally out talented by Edmonton but Smith held the Flames in the game. But nobody could stop McDavid when he really turned it on. I couldn't help but think "he could have been a Sabre".

Shut out or not. It was just another night for Talbot.

Happy to have Eichel. But McDavid, Eichel, Matthews sort of reminds me of the 1983 NFL draft year where Elway, Kelly and Marino were just head and shoulders above everyone else. (Yeah, I know Matthews was taken in a different draft year.)

McDavid = Elway. Matthews = Marino. And I'm seeing Jack as Jim Kelly which ain't a bad thing to have!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Can we claim him pls?????

8-ball.jpg

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
No clue what thats supposed to mean but Pickard is cheap RFA goalie - backup for now and has starter potential. We can waive The Chad and we either have him in Roch or he gets claimed. I'd rather have Pickard over The Chad as next year we will need capspace and he is good foe that while not being a bad goalie on top. We lose money probably as we have to pay The Chad if he doesnt get claimed but we lose nothing else. If the Chad ends up in Rochester we could trade him to the first team with long term injury to their key goalies or get him back in Buffalo if we get an injury....

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
No clue what thats supposed to mean but Pickard is cheap RFA goalie - backup for now and has starter potential. We can waive The Chad and we either have him in Roch or he gets claimed. I'd rather have Pickard over The Chad as next year we will need capspace and he is good foe that while not being a bad goalie on top. We lose money probably as we have to pay The Chad if he doesnt get claimed but we lose nothing else. If the Chad ends up in Rochester we could trade him to the first team with long term injury to their key goalies or get him back in Buffalo if we get an injury....

We've already committed to Chad. I doubt the Sabres (or obviously Chad, who could easily play in the NHL) would want to start games over Ullmark in Rochester. You can't just assume we can trade him to the first team with a goalie injury. It doesn't work that way.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
We've already committed to Chad. I doubt the Sabres (or obviously Chad, who could easily play in the NHL) would want to start games over Ullmark in Rochester. You can't just assume we can trade him to the first team with a goalie injury. It doesn't work that way.
Worst case scenario Ullmark and The Chad play 38 games each. Thats if none of the 4 gets injured, we dont lose The Chad when waiving him and if we cant trade him away if he does clear waivers. Id do it in a heartbeat, The Chad is here on relatively expensive, 1 year contract and hes UFA. We are not committed to him. Pickard is RFA and will be cheaper for years if he does wrk out good for us. But we do lose money value so I can see why Botts wouldnt want to gamble on it.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Worst case scenario Ullmark and The Chad play 38 games each. Thats if none of the 4 gets injured, we dont lose The Chad when waiving him and if we cant trade him away if he does clear waivers. Id do it in a heartbeat, The Chad is here on relatively expensive, 1 year contract and hes UFA. We are not committed to him. Pickard is RFA and will be cheaper for years if he does wrk out good for us. But we do lose money value so I can see why Botts wouldnt want to gamble on it.

Right. You COULD send him down. But it's dumb. Like you said, we're only committed to him for a year. We can get a cheaper goalie next year if we want to do that. At the same time, you would be royally pissing off a player, hurting your organizational reputation around the league, slowing down the development of your goalie prospect, and all the while pissing away money. You JUST signed a guy who has been nothing but professional to your organization in the past, told him he had the backup role, and paid him good backup money. Then you turn around and send him to your AHL affiliate before the 1st regular season game. With the goal of being "hockey heaven" and wanting players to actually want to sign with your organization in the future, you don't do that.....

And you're doing this all for a player who was put on waivers. He isn't very good.

Reactions: Dingo44

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Pickard isnt the shiny toy some think he is. Buffalo, like probably most teams are set in net. Would Toronto kick McElhinney to the curb for him? maybe Boston waives Khudobin? Cant see anybody really doing this opening week.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
1. We already have 2 NHL goalies better than Pickard
2. Pickard lost his NHL job to Malcolm Subban...
Erm theres no proof that we have 1 goalie better than Pickard, let alone 2. Not saying Pickard is upgrade either but he is projecting as a cheap and useful asset for a few years unlike the 2 goalies we do have. We dont have cap problems this year but we will have cap problems from next year onwards. If Pickard helps me with that I take a gamble. Its not a massive gamble as hes at least a servicable backup.

McPhee is a psycho by all accounts so that is not much of a supporting statement.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Erm theres no proof that we have 1 goalie better than Pickard, let alone 2. Not saying Pickard is upgrade either but he is projecting as a cheap and useful asset for a few years unlike the 2 goalies we do have. We dont have cap problems this year but we will have cap problems from next year onwards. If Pickard helps me with that I take a gamble. Its not a massive gamble as hes at least a servicable backup.

McPhee is a psycho by all accounts so that is not much of a supporting statement.

A psycho? Do tell..

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

pickaca92

90.4% with this. At least be consistent...

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Meaningless charts warrior. He played 50 games for the worst team in the last decade. Totally fair to judge how good he is based on this.
The Avs were better defensively than the Sabres and goaltending was a big part of why they were so bad. This is why we look into things instead of throwing poop at the wall.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Pickard is cheap and on waivers because he isn't very good at stopping the puck.

If Pickard were better than what the Sabres have, the Knights wouldn't have waived him for Subban.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad