Around the NHL (Part XVIII) - Tankiest tank to have ever tanked

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sounding more and more like the NHL's going to adopt 3 on 3 OT after 4 on 4 OT, after the implementation of which has significantly reduced the number of AHL games to go to the shootout.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/16/nhl-gms-meeting-shootout-three-on-three-overtime-emergency-goalies

CAADL59WgAA43om.jpg:large

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
They never consider my proposal.

4 minutes of 4 on 4.
3 minutes of 3 on 3.
2 minutes of 2 on 2.
1 minute of 1 on 1.
Goalie fight.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
He'd have a guaranteed contract for the next 20 years.

John Scott would be transitioned over to being a tertiary goaltender only for use in the goalie fight round.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Vegas has now crossed 9k mark in ticket drive

Looking more and more likely that Las Vegas is going to get a team soon

See a page back. :naughty:

And my qualms about the sustainability of a team there aside, I'm fine with it. I think that the Yotes are going to leave eventually anyway, but a team in Vegas is close enough to the Cactus League that catch a bunch of games and an NHL game or two in one trip would still be possible. Albeit it'd have to be on the tail end of the trip. Being a turncoat and going to the Grapefruit League might be easier in that event.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I am a staunch believer that any team who is placed in the heart of a city will do well. If Arizona played downtown they would be a lot better off. When you put a team in what amounts to the Rosemont of Arizona, it isn't going to draw. Vegas won't have that problem at all and above any other city will grow the reach of the NHL.

Have a Cirque de Soleil intermission show, Wayne Newton singing the anthem blah blah blah. It'll work in that location right on the strip.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Here's hoping. I'd just feel more confident with Quebec City (even with the declining Nuck Buck and with the fact that players not fluent in French would want to avoid the market), Seattle, Portland, or even Houston above Vegas.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Except I don't see a team tripping another team on a breakaway to deserve that penalty shot.

3v3 almost never happens in an NHL game. It's pretty much just as gimmicky as a Shootout.

For the life of me I don't understand the misunderstanding of how the NHL handles overtime. They're trying to draw viewers. Ties are boring to the casual fan and it also tires out the players over an 82 game season.

Shootouts give the viewers something a little more interesting/entertaining while not exhausting the players over a course of an 82 game season

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
People cried that the addition of the forward pass was not 'real hockey' or in the spirit of 'real hockey'.

Somehow the game survived.

I'm sure we can survive 3-on-3 for 5 minutes.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
People cried that the addition of the forward pass was not 'real hockey' or in the spirit of 'real hockey'.

Somehow the game survived.

I'm sure we can survive 3-on-3 for 5 minutes.

Settle down there Galileo, nobody here is acting like a traditionalist

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
3 on 3 hockey will be more entertaining and lead to more highlight reel plays than the shootout does. It is pure craziness on the ice if you've seen an AHL game or the Boston game early last week.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Settle down there Galileo, nobody here is acting like a traditionalist

I'm just saying people complaining about gimmicks is ridiculous.

Today's pillar of the game was yesterday's newfangled 'gimmick'.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I can't wait for the Canadian outrage if Bettman stiffs Canada out of another team :laugh:

I still think that the smartest thing that the NHL could do would be to partner the announcement of an expansion into Vegas simultaneously with the expansion into Quebec City. They absolutely have to know that they're going to get ridiculed for going into Vegas, for better or worse, but announcing a return of the Nordiques would deflect almost all of that on the side of jubilation about the QC getting a team again (except for folks from Hamilton, but the NHL's already used to ignoring them).

Expecting them to go for Vegas and Seattle, though, and for Quebec City to have to wait until the Yotes or Panthers move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad