Around the NHL (Part XVIII) - Tankiest tank to have ever tanked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Wampa

Feb 1, 2012
Continuing the Ovi love, he gets payback on Kunitz

FaintForcefulArmedcrab.gif

Nothingman*

Ovi is a wrecking ball when he gets pissed and on a roll. And he is one of the few NHL guys with a personality. Anyone who doesn't like him should not breed.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
From Grantland's piece about NHL trades that didn't happen.

One widely reported rumor had the teams discussing a deal in which the Habs would acquire Lecavalier for Tomas Plekanec, Chris Higgins, Josh Gorges, and a prospect. That sounds like a high price in hindsight — Plekanec ended up developing into a very good two-way center — but not completely unreasonable. That is, until you hear the name of the prospect: P.K. Subban, who of course went on to win a Norris and establish himself as one of the league’s most exciting players.

If that sounds crazy, wait until you hear the sequel. According to Sportsnet’s Jeff Marek, Lightning GM Brian Lawton claims he almost landed an even bigger package: Carey Price, Max Pacioretty, a first-round pick, and either Subban or Ryan McDonagh.

That's just a jaw-droppingly bad almost-trade. Worse than some of the worst of the trade boards.

Montreal fans lucked out that it never happened.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Cashville:
Not here to start an argument as it's your home base. I just wanted to point out that a vastly inferior NSH team (to the current iteration) gave you guys a pretty big scare in 2010 on your way to your first cup. If that Erat blind pass and your SH goal in Game 5 doesn't happen, NSH would have been up 3-2 heading back home for Game 6.

That was the last time we met in the playoffs. Not sure why you'd write off a materially better NSH team with home advantage so easily.

Except that SH goal DID happen, you lost. Flukey things happen in the playoffs and more often than not, the better team is the beneficiary of those things. You sound like a petty wild fan. The Preds are an entirely different team than 5 years ago, so are the Hawks. I'm not sure why you'd bring up something that didn't even happen and use that hypothetical to say something totally irrelevant.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
From Grantland's piece about NHL trades that didn't happen.

That's just a jaw-droppingly bad almost-trade. Worse than some of the worst of the trade boards.

Montreal fans lucked out that it never happened.

Is that the trade in which one owner refused to make trade and other owner wanted it?

Thus Bettman had to block it (You cant have trade when 50% of ownership demands it not happen

At least if I recall that was situation. Also I recall Bettman unfairly getting blamed by Hab fans who screamed he was "Protecting a failed market" or something of that nature

dbridge

Bluth Lockout 2015
Nov 28, 2010
Chicago
Is that the trade in which one owner refused to make trade and other owner wanted it?

Thus Bettman had to block it (You cant have trade when 50% of ownership demands it not happen

At least if I recall that was situation. Also I recall Bettman unfairly getting blamed by Hab fans who screamed he was "Protecting a failed market" or something of that nature

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they were two different trades. I want to say the trade where the owners disagreed was regarding giving up on Stamkos in his rookie year and trading him to the Rangers or something like that.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Not here to start an argument as it's your home base. I just wanted to point out that a vastly inferior NSH team (to the current iteration) gave you guys a pretty big scare in 2010 on your way to your first cup. If that Erat blind pass and your SH goal in Game 5 doesn't happen, NSH would have been up 3-2 heading back home for Game 6.

That was the last time we met in the playoffs. Not sure why you'd write off a materially better NSH team with home advantage so easily.

Home advantage? Will Preds fans show up or just scalp the tickets for games against Chicago like usual? ;)

Nothingman*

I hope we see tonight's Varlomov Friday. But I bet we see superhuman Varlomov as usual.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
http://www.thescore.com/news/703137

Sounds like Chiarelli could lose his job in Boston if the stretch run doesn't go well. These situations are just the best at the deadline. GM's with their jobs on the line trying to swing deals always make huge mistakes. It's a train wreck and I love watching. Erat for Forsberg plz.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Chia already has that Seguin deal haunting him + Boychuk deal has been disaster

I have a hard time seeing him getting fired though given the B's have won a cup and lost a cup over last 4 years

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Chia already has that Seguin deal haunting him + Boychuk deal has been disaster

I have a hard time seeing him getting fired though given the B's have won a cup and lost a cup over last 4 years

How has the Boychuk deal been a disaster? He hasn't even picked the players in the draft yet. Boychuk has cooled down after his hot start. 12pts in last 27GP.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The B's D badly misses Boychuk and he had other options to cut cap. He also took chance on Iginla and that Bonus $$$ is killing the B's cap this year which forced them to make move

Nothingman*

How has the Boychuk deal been a disaster? He hasn't even picked the players in the draft yet. Boychuk has cooled down after his hot start. 12pts in last 27GP.

Boychuck deal hasn't been bad when you look at our top 2 D men's offensive numbers recently.

Keith - 15 Points in last 29
Seabrook - 12 Points in 29 games

Of course there is the actual D that is being played. But from an O standpoint Boychuck has been prolific as Keith and Seabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad